OFFICIAL 2009 Madison Scouts Thread

I am disapointed that Madison has not improved from last year. I really thought the Scouts would move up into the middle of the pack this year between 7th & 10th place. Right now Madison is in 16th place I believe. It's not looking good for finals.

On another note, the Blue Devils have helped restore some of my faith in the Drum Corps activity. Their show is a throwback to the days when melody, listenability & memorability were king. I only hope that this style of show rubs off on other corps...including Madison.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again...............A ton of preseason hype.............But can anyone tell me, "Where's The POW?????"

It seems that once again, the powers that be within the Madison organization lack the ability to objectively and realistically understand the current status and depth and breadth of the "activity" and where "they" fit, or how even to fit. So, what's the issue this year..........Is it talent? Is it concept? Is it leadership? It certainly cant be blamed upon the size of the guard?

At "every-days" In Baraboo, Mr. Dan Petersen even went as far to proclaim that this years Madison Scouts had surpassed all expectations and is ahead of schedule and on pace to meet the goals set forth for 2010 this year!

Really?.........I'm curious what those goals might have been?

All I know is that everyone gets better every year and it looks like Madison's once again in the fight for it's life to get into finals at Indi...........and this is not the Madison I know!

But.......if you believed all the early season smack, we were a shoe in for 6th!

I'm still praying for some POW this season (only a handful of weeks left), but someone ought to start watching to see who's spiking the early season green Koolaid!

Once again...............A ton of preseason hype.............But can anyone tell me, "Where's The POW?????"

It seems that once again, the powers that be within the Madison organization lack the ability to objectively and realistically understand the current status and depth and breadth of the "activity" and where "they" fit, or how even to fit. So, what's the issue this year..........Is it talent? Is it concept? Is it leadership? It certainly cant be blamed upon the size of the guard?

At "every-days" In Baraboo, Mr. Dan Petersen even went as far to proclaim that this years Madison Scouts had surpassed all expectations and is ahead of schedule and on pace to meet the goals set forth for 2010 this year!

Really?.........I'm curious what those goals might have been?

All I know is that everyone gets better every year and it looks like Madison's once again in the fight for it's life to get into finals at Indi...........and this is not the Madison I know!

But.......if you believed all the early season smack, we were a shoe in for 6th!

I'm still praying for some POW this season (only a handful of weeks left), but someone ought to start watching to see who's spiking the early season green Koolaid!

Well said.

I can assure everyone, from the time I spent with the guys, that the talent is there, the staff is great, the guys work hard, so does the staff... they have the fuel, I promise you that.

I can assure everyone, from the time I spent with the guys, that the talent is there, the staff is great, the guys work hard, so does the staff... they have the fuel, I promise you that.

Then, pray tell..........what is the problem?

Yes, it's always easy for those who love this organization (and I'm a big homer) to point out why the glass is half full. BUT, we've got to be realistic and push beyond the emotional knee-jerk and ask some tough questions.

Time is not our friend and Madison is currently on a much tougher road to hoe then they were at this time last year............and this is supposedly with a "much better" product.

The facts don't add up!

Then, pray tell..........what is the problem?

Yes, it's always easy for those who love this organization (and I'm a big homer) to point out why the glass is half full. BUT, we've got to be realistic and push beyond the emotional knee-jerk and ask some tough questions.

Time is not our friend and Madison is currently on a much tougher road to hoe then they were at this time last year............and this is supposedly with a "much better" product.

The facts don't add up!

I felt the music was a little simplistic though that could be because I was a mellophone player playing the euphonium part... Not everyone was in shape when we started (as it is in a lot of corps) so the more fit they get the better and louder they'll play... and I promise you it will get loud. Every rep was preceded by a BYBO from Nick... I think they're just dirty, the show moves basically the entire time... I guess it's just a matter of cleaning cleaning cleaning.

I felt the music was a little simplistic though that could be because I was a mellophone player playing the euphonium part... Not everyone was in shape when we started (as it is in a lot of corps) so the more fit they get the better and louder they'll play... and I promise you it will get loud. Every rep was preceded by a BYBO from Nick... I think they're just dirty, the show moves basically the entire time... I guess it's just a matter of cleaning cleaning cleaning.

When I saw the show a week ago, I immediately realized that this was a tougher program then those that the Scouts had performed over the past several years. But, at this point, the concept goes nowhere for me (and others). The theme seems to fall flat on it's face. No doubt that the men of Madison will get their wind, but that's not what I'm concerned about. I'm concerned about the over all package! I'm more concerned with Madison being Madison!

When I saw the show a week ago, I immediately realized that this was a tougher program then those that the Scouts had performed over the past several years. But, at this point, the concept goes nowhere for me (and others). The theme seems to fall flat on it's face. No doubt that the men of Madison will get their wind, but that's not what I'm concerned about. I'm concerned about the over all package! I'm more concerned with Madison being Madison!

All I know is, I wish I was out there with 'em... I think it'll all come together soon enough. POW!

While I was disappointed in the broadcast tonight AND I was hoping to be at a much higher level this year than last, they are really about where they were last year. They put a new closer in right before Denver, it was a mess and they got a 73.475 putting them in 16th. This year; new closer; mess; 74.550; 14th.

It seems that they are choosing this "method" of putting in the real closer a couple of weeks before the first big regional and it worked last year in the end. I guess that encouraged them to do it again.

I will agree there should be concern. I don't like this year's closer. BUT, I don't think finals are a further reach after Denver in 2009 than they were in 2008.

I guess the only thing I don't get, and I'll just ask since I didn't keep up with the situation much when it all happened, but when I marched in 2005 I remember Madison being a top notch corps (didn't they come in 6th?)... we did retreat with them in Oxford, AL and they had this hard-### swagger and they were LOUD, OMG LOUD!!! I'm just wondering, what happened between then and now to make them seem to have fallen off competitively?