OFFICIAL 2009 Madison Scouts Thread

This just in from Allentown........Live report from the stands.........Hard to view this as a Madison hater since this has been a consistent theme the entire summer!

Man this is way beyond getting old.......Come on Techs!, let's get this sucker cleaned up so the boys have a snowball's chance to max it out!!

GEEEEESh!

Twitter - ArenaMJ Whoever said that Madison was rebuilding, lied. Feet are a mess visuals are a mess. Not sure what to think. Any advice?

I agree with everything you've said in this thread, and I also agree with the person you quoted earlier.

Seriously guys, the fact that the drill is dirty is actually good news - this means they do in fact have a snowballs' chance. Madison CAN make a 3 point jump in a week, they've done it before, and cleaning drill is the most efficient way to do it at this point. The time has come for the men of Madison to get very serious and do what they came to do - perform for those of us who bought finals tickets just to see Madison perform!

We don't even have to tell you to BYBO, that you do very well, just as Madison has always done. I'm going to substitute the B for C in Clean.

CYBO!!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't even have to tell you to BYBO, that you do very well, just as Madison has always done. I'm going to substitute the B for C in Clean.

CYBO!!

Or for the guard, replace B with S for Spin.

SYBO!!!

GO SCOUTS!!!!!

...You don’t like the show concept…tough. They’ll just have to sell it anyway, like nobody but Madison can!....

In by gone years I would agree with you, but to say as only Madison can is an outdated reality. Phantom showed what they could do last year stunning many, but Madison has been consistently in lower tier positions for a long time. Since placing 10th in 2000, Madison has been 10, 11, 14, 8, 8, 6, 9, 14, and 12. There is a generation of drum corps fans who don't remember Madison as being a scary powerhouse that was vying for a spot in the top 5 (2005 is an exception).

I have liked Madison for a long time, but there needs to be a reality check. The show may have potential, but like the Mad75 guy said, the Techs need to be able to clean it by August 7. The members need to be able to perform it by August 7. Other corps need to stand pat for 6 days while only Madison improves, which is ridiculous to expect. And if that all happens, Madison might climb to 14, 13, or 12th? It's sad to see that some think just making the telecast would be a victory.

Long time fans yearn for the day when Madison will be tenacious and scary again. Taking nothing away from any corps that's ahead of Madison, but the universe just seems out of whack when Madison isn't a shoe-in for performing "under the lights on Saturday night". Newer fans may be ok with mediocrity, and alumni may be p_ssed at my post, but I'm just relating my view as a left coast Madison fan hoping for their return to glory...to me placement matters. As does entertaining the crowd and doing drum corps in a respectful and proper manner. Two things Madison has never failed to do.

pow

In by gone years I would agree with you, but to say as only Madison can is an outdated reality. Phantom showed what they could do last year stunning many, but Madison has been consistently in lower tier positions for a long time. Since placing 10th in 2000, Madison has been 10, 11, 14, 8, 8, 6, 9, 14, and 12. There is a generation of drum corps fans who don't remember Madison as being a scary powerhouse that was vying for a spot in the top 5 (2005 is an exception).

I have liked Madison for a long time, but there needs to be a reality check. The show may have potential, but like the Mad75 guy said, the Techs need to be able to clean it by August 7. The members need to be able to perform it by August 7. Other corps need to stand pat for 6 days while only Madison improves, which is ridiculous to expect. And if that all happens, Madison might climb to 14, 13, or 12th? It's sad to see that some think just making the telecast would be a victory.

Long time fans yearn for the day when Madison will be tenacious and scary again. Taking nothing away from any corps that's ahead of Madison, but the universe just seems out of whack when Madison isn't a shoe-in for performing "under the lights on Saturday night". Newer fans may be ok with mediocrity, and alumni may be p_ssed at my post, but I'm just relating my view as a left coast Madison fan hoping for their return to glory...to me placement matters. As does entertaining the crowd and doing drum corps in a respectful and proper manner. Two things Madison has never failed to do.

pow

Ah.....I'm one of those alumni guys you're worried about and I say, PREACH IT BROTHER! And for those glass half full folks that want to try and squeeze some moral victory out of making it to the big screen at 15th!, are you kidding me?.........I feel like I just got sold a load of you know what!.........well I aint buying any of that Kume-By-Ya malarkey! And you know what else?, I think it's safe to say neither are the B.O.D., the leadership or the Men of Madison buying that LOAD of goods either!

I'd say it's take no prisoners time and leave 15th to someone else! (Unless of course you believe it's fetal position time?..........But as "Machiavelli" so aptly pointed out, this is Madison, so I don't think so!)

Edited by Mad75

alumni may be p_ssed at my post,

Well this alumni isn't p_ssed, he agrees with you 100%.

I hate to admit it too. It is 5:45 am and I have been awake since 3:30 thinking of the Madison Scouts and the days when I marched.

It hurts to see what has happened over the last almost ten years. Internal problems, loss of identity, a fan base that IS losing faith to name a few.

I am an alumni who is asking the BOD, directors, staff to please, look back, look forward, look inward, for the sake of what was

and what we all hope will be again. I am sure everyone involved is doing the best they know how. We did not get here overnight, and will not

get to where we need or want to be in one or two years. But really, what is going on?

Financial problems need to be a worry of the past and one we learn from. Other corps seem to do well financially, lets learn from them.

Consistent, crowd pleasing show designs, that appeal to our fans, and our peers, and the men who wear the Superman suit,

other corps seem to do it, lets learn from them.

Find our identity again, reconnect with our base, our fans, our alumni, and create a new generation of fans who do not have to hear of the old days.

Lets carve our own future by setting high standards for our membership, our staff. And, if we do not meet our goals, find out why, and fix it !!

Other corps seem to do it, lets learn from them.

We cannot go one step forward and two steps back.

We do not have to live in the past to be successful...but going back to what put us on the map to begin with might not be a bad place to start looking for answers.

I love the Madison Scouts and know it must be hard for any staff or member to read some of what has been put here. We all have dreams and ideas of what we

want to happen for the organization. It is all easier said than done I am sure. This thing is bigger than any one of us, but together, lets look back, look forward and look inward for the answers.

There is no blame being cast here, just my thoughts. But I think a consensus is building. It is being heard on a website forum, heard from a crowds subdued response, heard from

members that go to other corps, heard from alumni who just want our corp back. We are gonna have to earn our respect back from the drum corp community, the fans, members, alumni, judges.

Lets find our footing in a way that is good for the long term survival and growth of our membership and for everyone involved.

From a very respectful alumni and supporter.

Go Scouts...POW !

I wish that everyone would just relax. The Scouts are going to be fine. OK, so it's not their year, and I never marched with them (although I wish I had) but I can honestly say that I've never met a Scout who wasn't proud of where he came from, no matter what year he marched. Honor is something that can't be bought or sold. It's the only thing in life that you ever really truely own, and the Scouts have an abundance of it.

Edited by Piper

“I have liked Madison for a long time, but there needs to be a reality check. The show may have potential, but like the Mad75 guy said, the Techs need to be able to clean it by August 7. The members need to be able to perform it by August 7. Other corps need to stand pat for 6 days while only Madison improves, which is ridiculous to expect. And if that all happens, Madison might climb to 14, 13, or 12th?” - Machiavelli

During the First Battle of the Marne and with the entire French Army in full retreat, Ferdinand Foch should have had the good sense to say “Men…it’s hopeless…von Moltke’s got our number! We may have once been a force to be reckoned with but the truth is guy’s, we just suck and all that is left is for us to put up our hands and learn to love sauerkraut.” Oddly enough, in a moment of madness Foch was overcome by the spirit of ‘Kume-By-Ya’ and reported to his superiors "Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I attack." In the absence of a badly needed reality check, Foch succeeded in stopping the German advance and went on to stabilized the allied lines.

We don’t prove our mettle when we’re showered, rested, our belly’s are full and the odds against us are easily surmounted. Madison may place 15th or they might do much, much better in the scores…at this point it doesn’t much matter to me. What does matter at this point is how these Madison Scouts use these last few days…that will be the measure of their character, which is after all the whole point of this 71 year long exercise…to build and train young men to hold their heads up high in the face of overwhelming odds and walk on.

MYNWA

I'll be in Indy on th 7th and 8th. Is there a gathering point for Scouts supporters?

The Marriott downtown is the designated Scouts headquarters.

http://news.madisonscouts.org/?p=198

P.S. I have a room there and would like to cut costs by sharing - PM me if interested!