? For Audiodb -- Richmond/Wateska CDs

Drum Corps World's store hasn't added any new Richmond/Wateska remastered CDs since last fall. So I was wondering when a new batch of recordings will become available, and what some of those shows will be. Ken Mason's work on the recordings issued to date has been fantastic! Can't wait for more.

Just in time, then. Six new CDs are announced in the latest DCW working it's way through the mail system as you were typing your post. I guess they're not on the website yet. They include two CDs containing the best 10 recorded seniors of 1952....this was a TON of work, but worth it. When you hear the natural sound quality of the original masters, it is hard to believe they're really 1952 vintage. Also putting out more 1968 seniors, this time from the Altoona show (Marksmen, Westshoremen, Rockets, Whalers, etc.). Two CDs covering all 12 of the 1970 Penn-York finalists, and a 1977 CD of Northeastern juniors (Bengal Lancers, Milford Shoreliners, Fire-ettes, Jean-ettes, Fitchburg Kingsmen and CT Classics....some spirited performances in that bunch).

Six more CDs will follow next month, too. Glad to hear you are enjoying them....in that case, we'll keep 'em coming. :tongue:

And for anyone wondering what we're talking about, there are about 150 other CDs of corps from 1950 to 1980 already available....just go here to see.

Six new CDs are announced in the latest DCW working it's way through the mail system as you were typing your post. I guess they're not on the website yet. They include two CDs containing the best 10 recorded seniors of 1952....this was a TON of work, but worth it. When you hear the natural sound quality of the original masters, it is hard to believe they're really 1952 vintage.

LOL as I got the itch for real old sounds a few weeks ago and ordered "In the Beginning" (1950-1951). Now I can watch for another batch of corps playing piston (before the slide?) horns.

Just checked and these are not on the website yet. Hope they are on soon as I don't get DCW and the site is my only connection to the store.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

They include two CDs containing the best 10 recorded seniors of 1952....this was a TON of work, but worth it. When you hear the natural sound quality of the original masters, it is hard to believe they're really 1952 vintage.

OK, guys this is bugging me....

Could someone please list the 10 corps from 1952 and where the recordings came from? Guessing they might be from American Legion in NYC which would be a great line up. But then again I have a wish list for a certain Harrisburg area corps that won VFW that year. Too bad VFW was on the West Coast so doubt it was recorded.

Oh, OK - I can take a hint. Sorry, no Westshoremen - they were not recorded in '52. I am also having no luck finding a '51 (even though I've found many others from VFW that year)....and no one has a complete 1953 recording, only the second half of their show.

The 1952 corps that are available are:

Reilly Raiders

Skyliners

Imhof Thunderbirds

Connecticut Yankees

Boys of 76

Caballeros

Archer-Epler Musketeers

Yankee Rebels

Skokie Indians

Jersey Joes

The DCW website should be up-to-date with these new CDs in a few days.

:tongue: Thanks Ken, With VFW at LA in 1952 and not that many corps (at least compared to AL) at the show, I didn't think they would be recorded. At least Mr Richmond couldn't catch a ride to LA on the Cabs buses. :thumbup: This looks like a great line-up and will keep an eye on the website. (Watch it be updated while I'm on vacation and away from the Internet.) Jersey Joes will be interesting to listen too since I read their story in History of DC II.

Have a Xerox of a local newspaper write-up when Westshore defended their title. Will have to see if there is anything about if they even went outside of the area in 1951. And don't remember seeing any 1950s PA VFW Champ scores anywhere.

And before Mr Ream beats me to it.... 1952 VFW was the reason why the corps changed their name to Westshoremen. Until 1952 VFW (and the publicity) they were known as the Longshoremen. Then the Longshoremens Union sued the corps for using the name without permission. So this would have been a historical or at least hysterical recording. :thumbup:

Thanks again for putting the time in on the old sounds.....

Edited by JimF-3rdBari