"Watch your speed"

highpitch_83

NON-DCI related but I thought if anyone could help you guys could...

I started filling in for a blues band (40's & 50's blues tunes) about 3 weeks ago. Worked up 50+ 'original' tunes and played a few shows. I'm getting more an more comfortable with all the stops and doing all I can to fit in with the group (that's had the same drummer for 12 yrs prior to me sitting in) there's just one problem.

After EVERY SINGLE SONG the band leader (guitar player/vocalist) turns to me and says: "watch your speed on that one..."

No I'm not going to pretend to be perfect but I have been playing for over a decade (both rudimental percussion and drum set) and always play with a 'nome at home so I would like to think I can hold down a groove (especially with some 4 on the floor blues charts). I've tried asking for more info: "does it drag in the chorus or the verses...", etc... but I always get the same response: "just gotta watch your speed".

So how do I tackle the situation?

- Throw a click track in the mix at rehearsal to reassure the group I know what I'm doing?

- Tell him to shut up and listen since I'm supposed to keep time?

- Ignore it?

I'm doing my best to fill the shoes of the last guy but this is getting ridiculous... Thoughts?

NON-DCI related but I thought if anyone could help you guys could...

I started filling in for a blues band (40's & 50's blues tunes) about 3 weeks ago. Worked up 50+ 'original' tunes and played a few shows. I'm getting more an more comfortable with all the stops and doing all I can to fit in with the group (that's had the same drummer for 12 yrs prior to me sitting in) there's just one problem.

After EVERY SINGLE SONG the band leader (guitar player/vocalist) turns to me and says: "watch your speed on that one..."

No I'm not going to pretend to be perfect but I have been playing for over a decade (both rudimental percussion and drum set) and always play with a 'nome at home so I would like to think I can hold down a groove (especially with some 4 on the floor blues charts). I've tried asking for more info: "does it drag in the chorus or the verses...", etc... but I always get the same response: "just gotta watch your speed".

So how do I tackle the situation?

- Throw a click track in the mix at rehearsal to reassure the group I know what I'm doing?

- Tell him to shut up and listen since I'm supposed to keep time?

- Ignore it?

I'm doing my best to fill the shoes of the last guy but this is getting ridiculous... Thoughts?

First of all, you deserve a more definitive response. Ask the OTHERS in the band about this. It may be that this leader has a control issue and the others have learned to ignore the comment. Bass and drums should drive the band - something you probably know already.

Next, insist that the leader set the tempo and use your metronome with earphones or a click track during rehearsal to be sure you're steady. If the leader still has a problem with the speed, it is his/her problem.

Finally, if the comments continue and you know you're solid find another gig. Some people are just idiots and there's no changing them. Why did the last guy leave??

IMO, music locked into a metronome at all times is mechanical. There should be a natural variation in tempo. Otherwise we wouldn't need things like ritard, accelerando, rubato, etc.

First of all, you deserve a more definitive response. Ask the OTHERS in the band about this. It may be that this leader has a control issue and the others have learned to ignore the comment. Bass and drums should drive the band - something you probably know already.

Next, insist that the leader set the tempo and use your metronome with earphones or a click track during rehearsal to be sure you're steady. If the leader still has a problem with the speed, it is his/her problem.

Finally, if the comments continue and you know you're solid find another gig. Some people are just idiots and there's no changing them. Why did the last guy leave??

IMO, music locked into a metronome at all times is mechanical. There should be a natural variation in tempo. Otherwise we wouldn't need things like ritard, accelerando, rubato, etc.

Maybe start playing "behind the beat" a little. I don't really play drum set all that much, but most of the time when I listen to slow blues the drum set is a little behind the beat.

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys!

@G-Horns - The other players weren't giving up anything even when I pressed them on it... I think they'd rather stay neutral to cut back on the 'drama' I also agree with you, the song is a living thing and should be allowed to "breathe." I was told the last guy left due to medical issues (stemming from his alcoholism) but am starting to wonder...

@DAvery - Ironically that's his issue, he felt I was consistently "falling behind" ;-)

------------------------UPDATE----------------------------

Had rehearsal last night and what a difference from the last few days. We got about 3 songs into the first set before the phrase of the day came out; but this time I was prepared... I suggested that we try it with the click to double check and that opened a lot of eyes! :devil:

I realized one thing as soon as the song started: I can't doubt myself like I did the last few weeks ever again... these guys were all over the place!! After we finished the song the bass player immediately chimed in: "well hell that wasn't any better at all!" I took that opportunity to point out that the group likes to push during the solo sections but was generally pretty tight on the verses/choruses and suddenly everyone got this expression of: "oh sh** I think we just assumed since he was new he was wrong" and wouldn't you know it tempo wasn't an issue the rest of the night!

I guess this is what happens when people forget that percussionists ARE still musicians and not just monkeys with dowels in their hands. :tongue:

Thanks again for the advice!

------------------------UPDATE----------------------------

Had rehearsal last night and what a difference from the last few days. We got about 3 songs into the first set before the phrase of the day came out; but this time I was prepared... I suggested that we try it with the click to double check and that opened a lot of eyes! :devil:

I realized one thing as soon as the song started: I can't doubt myself like I did the last few weeks ever again... these guys were all over the place!! After we finished the song the bass player immediately chimed in: "well hell that wasn't any better at all!" I took that opportunity to point out that the group likes to push during the solo sections but was generally pretty tight on the verses/choruses and suddenly everyone got this expression of: "oh sh** I think we just assumed since he was new he was wrong" and wouldn't you know it tempo wasn't an issue the rest of the night!

I guess this is what happens when people forget that percussionists ARE still musicians and not just monkeys with dowels in their hands. :tongue:

Thanks again for the advice!

Glad that things have settled down. The group now knows that you aren't just some guy with sticks.

My experience is that a comment like that usually indicates that the leader knows something is wrong, but he can't put his finger on what. It could be that he was hoping for a different sound from you, but can't figure out what it is, so assumes that it's the tempo. More likely than not, he's used to a fairly free set of tempi (semi-pro guitarists are notorious in this regard; when they get to a passage that's difficult to play, they have a tendency to slow down without knowing it) and will assume that the drummer is the inconsistent one.

Asking them to let you put a met on it is a great way to go. Let them know (nicely) that you've got a pretty good sense of time and tempo control, and that it's their job to trust you to maintain the beat. If this guy pushes back on the suggestion, then you know it's not the right set up, and it's your cue to vamanos.

Edited by mobrien

Jumping in here a little late, but....

The last band I was in had a lead singer with what SHE called a "very good" sense of rhythm, and everything I clicked off was "wrong".

Didn't matter that recordings of the performances demonstrated compliance with the desired tempos.

What solved this particular problem was a variation of the old "producer switch" phenomenon.

I bought a Tama Rhythm Watch (a metronome with big LEDs) and pumped that through my in-ear monitors.

All of a sudden, I was the "Rhythm King" in her mind.

I continue to use this device to this day, however, because in live performances it really helps to keep the starting tempos consistent.

I think it is quite natural to start to play a little faster once the crowd gets the adrenalin pumped up; this technique keeps that in check.

I just dial in the next tune with my left hand while playing and get a quick count.

Once the tune has started the met is off, and we can push and pull as the music requires.

I learned about this technique from a clinic held by the guy (Joe Bergamini?) that was in the broadway show "Movin Out" (music of Billy Joel).

He was, by contract, not allowed to deviate from tempo more than 2BPM (I think that's what he said).

Quite a useful tool (for me anyway).

I learned about this technique from a clinic held by the guy (Joe Bergamini?) that was in the broadway show "Movin Out" (music of Billy Joel).

He was, by contract, not allowed to deviate from tempo more than 2BPM (I think that's what he said).

Quite a useful tool (for me anyway).

Sounds like the old "Cadence" rule in VFW drum corps.