Will G bugles eventually become extinct?

The intonation difference between Bbs and Gs is not in the intonation from horn to horn, but in how well the horn plays in tune with itself.

Gs have many more bad partials that are farther out of tune than their Bb counterparts. I have played many G horns where the open notes inside the staff could not be played in tune without significant lip adjustment on at least one partial. Do Bbs have bad partials? Sure, but there are fewer of them and they are much closer to correct pitch.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not just give the Bb trumpets bigger bells and bores like the G horns? Don't the modern "marching trumpets" have modifications to allow them to project more?

Edited by ussglassman

Why not just give the Bb trumpets bigger bells and bores like the G horns? Don't the modern "marching trumpets" have modifications to allow them to project more?

It isn't, I believe, so much bore size, as bore shape, that makes to difference between bugles and trumpets. The conical bore of the soprano bugle makes for a little less stability in the timbre, and opens up some of the inside harmonics than straight bore trumpets. This is why they were both "louder" and "wilder" sounding. And yes, more susceptible of intonation problems.

The intonation difference between Bbs and Gs is not in the intonation from horn to horn, but in how well the horn plays in tune with itself.

Gs have many more bad partials that are farther out of tune than their Bb counterparts. I have played many G horns where the open notes inside the staff could not be played in tune without significant lip adjustment on at least one partial. Do Bbs have bad partials? Sure, but there are fewer of them and they are much closer to correct pitch.

OK, so after 50 years of making G bugles, no manufacturer got it right, on any instrument? Lemme guess....you play trumpet?

One more thing: Please define "in tune" in your context. (hint: with the piano, or the harmonic series, or something else)

Quite honestly no brass instrument plays itself in tune and every instrument plays different to every player. If you want to just ride a horse, get a pony. If you want to ride something fast and powerful, get a mustang, just don't blame the #### horse you ride if you can't handle the outcome.

It seems like we are just talking to ourselves in this forum, but I'll throw in a thought.

I certainly agree and empathize with those who desire bugles for straight volume. I am not an old school guy....I aged out in '98 with a bugle, but taught div III, II and World Class…the latter using Bb. You simply can spend less time working on tone quality and intonation with Bb's. You get a better product, faster. Ultimately, it's about the kids, but no one would come if the product was not good or did not improve. If you like the sound of G lines, more power to you. My mama always said, there is no accounting for taste. Soon though, all those Jr. Corps kids are going to come up the ranks to Sr. Corps and say, WTF is with this out of tune, dinosaur G thing? G horns were such an important part of our identity and history, but I don't see (or really want to) how they are going to survive. Not to put too fine a point on it, but anymore, G's are like an axe where a scalpel is needed.

Playing in tune with yourself (use a tuner), and your part of the chord, makes you sound louder. Is this in question?

You simply can spend less time working on tone quality and intonation with Bb's. You get a better product, faster.

There's that "easy button" again.

It seems like we are just talking to ourselves in this forum, but I'll throw in a thought.

I certainly agree and empathize with those who desire bugles for straight volume. I am not an old school guy....I aged out in '98 with a bugle, but taught div III, II and World Class…the latter using Bb. You simply can spend less time working on tone quality and intonation with Bb's. You get a better product, faster. Ultimately, it's about the kids, but no one would come if the product was not good or did not improve. If you like the sound of G lines, more power to you. My mama always said, there is no accounting for taste. Soon though, all those Jr. Corps kids are going to come up the ranks to Sr. Corps and say, WTF is with this out of tune, dinosaur G thing? G horns were such an important part of our identity and history, but I don't see (or really want to) how they are going to survive. Not to put too fine a point on it, but anymore, G's are like an axe where a scalpel is needed.

Playing in tune with yourself (use a tuner), and your part of the chord, makes you sound louder. Is this in question?

This post shows the lack of your understanding of chords AND basic brass playing.

If you think this is an easy button, it's time to get off the computer and start getting around town on your horse and buggy. A whole lot of kids I've taught deserve a little more than to be told what they did was easy. Nice argument.

Whip and buggy? Perhaps if they had a better teacher.....