Who had the biggest impact on your corps experience?

Ted Sciarra - Taught dedication, discipline and love of the drum corps activity.

Ralph Pace - Taught where visual creativity could take us.

Red Winzer - Didn't throw me out of the line after all of those years and still pretty much sucking - patience of a saint.

No one could argue with the three guys you listed - Pace is like the father of modern visual design in many ways -

I'm just having issues with picturing Red with the patience of a saint...

that's a bit of a stretch for me...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an ageout, rookie baritone in Spirit 1980 it could only be Jim Ott for me. Being a "member of age", Jim and I got to be close friends as we enjoyed "pops" and old drum corps records (that's right records) at my apt on a number of occasions. Jim taught me alot about drum corps and was even going to set me up as a marching instructor the following season. I remember him once perusing a newly arrived Drum Corps World (or News) one evening when he came across an article proclaiming "Let it be Me" as the best drum corps arrangement of all time. He was absolutely humbled at the writer's take - a very cool moment.

As we approach the 29th anniversary of his untimely death tomorrow, I'd just like to say thanks Jim for accepting an age out in your hornline and being the great friend, arranger and teacher that you were!

Joe Rosemond

Spirit of Atlanta - 1980

Robin Wofford for talking me into joining drum corps at the ripe age of 16.

George Zingali-for teaching me to march and more things I'm not allowed to say here! :thumbup:

Marc Sylvester-for having lots of patience with me and never giving up on me.

Patsy Bonfiglio-MA-R.I.P.

George Bonfiglio-my mentor, the best mentor anyone could ever have. He is always there for me like a father, I love him dearly.

Andy Yaracs, father and son. GBV corps director was like a surrogate dad-mine had recently passed. From Andy Jr. I learned patience.

Riggie Laus-what an all around good guy. He was so humble, it came as a surprise that he was a drum corps legend.

Pepe-A great sense of humor in practically every situation.

Jeff Danchik-dedication

George Hopkins-didn't march for him, but observed his manner with Garfield & was suitably impressed.

Edited by pearlsnaredrummer77

I'd have to say DOUG KLEINHANS and the late VINCE BRUNI.

Doug was my mentor from the age of 12 in the senior Albion Grenadiers. He developed me and my buddy, Dale, at an extreme rate, playing respectable snare within a year. In one more year we were beating many of the big boys in drums (esp execution). He allowed me to take over the line in his absence and actually write and teach starting in '68. And of course, he imparted that classic rudimental basis that is the cornerstone of my technique.

Vince helped me get my start teaching by toting me around wherever he needed a (cheap) percussion guy. Got my foot in a lot of doors that wouldn't have been opened without his help. From Cleveland Caballeros, Johnsonburg Diplomats, Lockport Blazers, Rochester Crusaders and Empire Statesmen. Also inumerable HS bands - I was happy to be a part of his Band Camp Package. RIP big guy.

"Graetest Impact":

Joe Genero & Hy Drietzer. To this olde Witch, as a "Female" horn player (In an era when "Co-Ed" hornlines were very rare) they were GODS. To see Mr Genero one more (And Last) time in 2004 and have him teach us his music (Again) was a gift.

God Bless You Both. :tongue:

Elphaba

So Elphie ... you must have been in the CT Royal Lancers ... they're the only co-ed corps I can think of that both Hy and Joe taught ... for myself ir would have to be Earl Sturtze (St. Raphael's & Bpt PAL), who taught me the discipline of practice ... Fr. Louie DeProfio (St. Raphael's), who taught me patience and compassion ... and Chris Ruge (Bpt PAL) who taught me tolerance in leadership ... and to ALL the Skyliners who helped mold my personality ...

:)

Benny Behrens Sr - loooong time Westshoremen Quartermaster: My folks wouldn't let me join unless I had a ride to practice and shows (didn't trust me with a brand new license for some reason :tongue: ). Benny drove the drum truck and two of us rode with him I left in 1979. Great experience and great history.

Chuck, Larry, Bill and rest of BoD - you Westshore people don't need the last names. End of my first year we were asked if we would come back. I wasn't sure so these guys "answered" for me. I walked in the room and heard "Fawber... Hell yeah he's comeing back" and I was out of the room before I could draw breath. :blink: Also rode with Bill part of my first year.

Frankie F (aka Wolfie :devil: ) - getting me back in 1984 with a "gentle" :tongue: invite to join the parade corps that had just formed when WSM broke up in mid-season. Gentle invite = "Hey... we're starting back up... get your ### to the Island (practice field) or I'll come get yer ###". Multiple ####s left out of the invite.

Whoever posted about the Gettysburg show in 2003 that got me back (again)

Tom K and Denny W of the Lancers: Saw Denny at the 2003 show and (after he lit up his cig first :fight: ) said "If ya ever want to try it again, we'll have a horn for ya". Swapped emails with Tom while thinking.... buying a horn... trying out the chops.... finally showing up for a practice. Both total strangers at the time.

Finally and biggest - MY WIFE Kris :ph34r: Lady has couple of medical problems and never did corps. But her motto of "Everyone needs an outing" was her reason for allowing me to go when needed without any guilt trips.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I'd have to say Jim Ott was my biggest influence. He's the reason I quit SCV and marched my ageout year with a very young Commodores corps. He's the reason I quit college and moved across the country to teach Spirit, and I dare say that had he not been prematurely taken away from us I would probably have 39 years in the activity and counting, instead of 15.