Who had the biggest impact on your corps experience?

As we all think back to our active Drum Corps days, there are many folks that we remember. Corps members, directors, instructors, support staff, etc. Endless stories of our various exploits are told whenever possible. This is a wonderful part of our activity. However, there are certain people that had a impact on us that goes beyond the stories.

I thought this would be a good forum to express our thoughts about these people. We might find that some of these have had an impact on more than one of us. Here's my list.

Jeff Perkins- Avant Garde Director. He taught me countless life lessons. How to be competitive on the field and in life. He was always about the Corps, always put himself last. The most dedicated man I have ever met.

Chet Zabeck-Avant Garde Instructor. You always knew where you stood with Chet. He helped me grow up.....quickly.

Dick Robilato-Avant Garde Instuctor (briefly). Gave me a singular butt chewing that has stayed with me to this day.

Joel Alleyne-De La Salle Oaklands / Etobicoke Oakland Crusaders. Joel was quoted in the DCI yearbook as saying "respect is earned, not given". That meant a lot to me as a 15 year old and even more to me now, as 49 year old.

Some of these people you may know. Some you have never heard of. That's the point. All of these folks, to this day, still impact me.

Share your stories if you want. If not, take a brief time out. Think back and remember the people that made your Drum Corps days not only enjoyable,but life changing.

Jerry Kaiser

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am thankful to many...

Rocco Oliverio (I know many do not love him) But this man beat us within an inch of our lives... Heck in our rookie year he made us practice the show ON THE WAY HOME FROM DCI!!! I didn't appreciate him then but I did not to long after.

Tom & Peggy Andrews for the "Circle of Pain" 5 minute mark time drills that always seemed to take an hour. Once again I did not appreciate them at the time.

Wayne Downey for being a no nonsence tough task master that was almost NEVER nice about how he delivered his message but he was respected.

Jack Meehan for being like a swami or guru or sorts with the baritone line... Although my friends in the soprano section said he was really mean to them! I like his ability to wear many hats.

John Meehan for being like 11 years old! lol

Greg Gilman for getting me involved in Drum Corps in the first place.

Barry Trent for being my best friend through thick and thin.

Greg Gilman for getting me back into corps again back in 2006.

There are more but I am running out of lunch hour! :worthy:

I salute all of you :worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

Edited by Big Bad Bari

"Graetest Impact":

Joe Genero & Hy Drietzer. To this olde Witch, as a "Female" horn player (In an era when "Co-Ed" hornlines were very rare) they were GODS. To see Mr Genero one more (And Last) time in 2004 and have him teach us his music (Again) was a gift.

God Bless You Both. :worthy:

Elphaba :worthy:

Edited by elphaba01

As we all think back to our active Drum Corps days, there are many folks that we remember. Corps members, directors, instructors, support staff, etc. Endless stories of our various exploits are told whenever possible. This is a wonderful part of our activity. However, there are certain people that had a impact on us that goes beyond the stories.

I thought this would be a good forum to express our thoughts about these people. We might find that some of these have had an impact on more than one of us. Here's my list.

Jeff Perkins- Avant Garde Director. He taught me countless life lessons. How to be competitive on the field and in life. He was always about the Corps, always put himself last. The most dedicated man I have ever met.

Chet Zabeck-Avant Garde Instructor. You always knew where you stood with Chet. He helped me grow up.....quickly.

Dick Robilato-Avant Garde Instuctor (briefly). Gave me a singular butt chewing that has stayed with me to this day.

Joel Alleyne-De La Salle Oaklands / Etobicoke Oakland Crusaders. Joel was quoted in the DCI yearbook as saying "respect is earned, not given". That meant a lot to me as a 15 year old and even more to me now, as 49 year old.

Some of these people you may know. Some you have never heard of. That's the point. All of these folks, to this day, still impact me.

Share your stories if you want. If not, take a brief time out. Think back and remember the people that made your Drum Corps days not only enjoyable,but life changing.

Jerry Kaiser

Duane C. Andrews; Corps Director, Bellevue Sentinels Bellevue, Washington

Rice

Oh,so many in 42 years in the activity.

Rick Morey,Bill Marshall,Steve Cooley (steel city ambassadors)

Dr.Terren L.Frenz (ohio brass factory)

Dan Bowman,Dan Delong (westshoremen)

Earl Huff (black shields) my first corps director,who remains a good friend to this day.

these Men taught me how to be a musician,how to win and how to lose,most importantly,

how to live.

My oldest brother Jim for getting me to join

Ralph Parkhill - for opening up the marching and I&E worlds

Ted Sasso & Ernie Fessler - for being the best horn guys a kid could have.

John Sasso - for giving me a chance

Dennis DeLucia - for giving me opportunities...

All the folks in all the corps listed under my name...

Jack Taylor for getting me in in the first place.

Erique Gonzales for talking me into playing Euph.

Chris Nalls for learnin' me how to play the heck out of it.

James Shatto for showing me how to do it all really freakin' well.

Richie (oh crap I've forgotten his last name) for keeping me learnin'.

John Zimny for really introducing me to how awesome Drum Corps charts could be.

"Mac" McIntyre for showing me how to cut through a decade or so of BS to find the heart of why I enjoyed performing this crazy stuff in the first place.

Biggest "impact" on my corps experience? OK...

Mr. Joe Courtney - my first corps director, and still active in DCI to this day

Don Brimm - Snare tech and drum line instructor. He opened my eyes to the "physics" of what drumming is.

Scott Stewart - The quintessential corps director and influential mentor for 1,000's of Madison Scouts

Chris & Laki Theo - Madison Scouts instructors/composer and visionary

Joe Murray - Madison Scouts snare tech - the man could break down the nano seconds of wrist movement and tell you why and how and where a note should drop onto a snare drum.

James Campbell - Guardsmen drum instructor/composer and visonary

Ralph Hardimon - Never marched for him or was in one of his lines, but his writing was more than influential to me

Cindy Inden - snare drummer in the Guardsmen - spent lots of time helping me

John Kirk and Greg Kulma - lifelong best friends now, and snare drummers in corps I was in who took the time to show me how to play and helped teach me (although they didn't know it) what the meaning of friendship was all about.

Ted Sciarra - Taught dedication, discipline and love of the drum corps activity.

Ralph Pace - Taught where visual creativity could take us.

Red Winzer - Didn't throw me out of the line after all of those years and still pretty much sucking - patience of a saint.