DCP going down the tubes?

I'll offer some POV here . . .the following (disclaimer ahead) isn't indicative of official DCP policies, just some IMO thoughts:

Over the years, this comes up . . .how to elevate the level of conversation on DCP and how to improve the overall site. I've seen it as a lurker, a frequent poster and now as a moderator.

It's not a bad thing to ask for: bear in mind that when I came on board as a moderator a few years ago, it was because I had proposed something similar in nature to what we're kicking around here of a sort. The idea was called the "DCP Gold Star Panel". There was an idea to have a rolling, fluid membership that changed out every few months in increments in order to keep a "braintrust" alive to rate and create content.

"Gold Star" folks had the ability to rate posts . . .much like the ability that all DCP users have now to rate users and so on from a 1-5 star system. The hope was the the people on the panel would find (or start) discussions of merit, rate them, and it would show up to other users as a flag to say, "hey, this thread is interesting . . .check it out!" Since all DCP posters have the ability to rate threads now, the idea is now kinda moot.

Anyway, point being . . .this site is not adverse to suggestions from the community. The user posts are the content here on the forums, and the clicks here are from people committed in some way, shape or form to drum corps in some fashion or other. Those folks are important to keeping the discussions on-going, fresh and pushing us along as we discuss the idiom like we do.

When you look at the user base as a whole as a poster/moderator/lurker/whatever over the years, you can see (especially this time of year) that there will be those that just seek to drive-by troll, those that are here to only incite (and not discuss) and those that are going to be overly melodramatic. It comes with the territory, and we see the same cyclical activity each summer.

To that end, I can only offer the personal invitation to elevate the conversation here as much as you can. For every "4th Trumpets For Timmys Tooters Rulez" thread, look to create topics and posts here that interest you not only at the level of basic "nuts and bolts" of drum corps, but talking about the cerebral aspects of shows, or the issues that tour can create, or maybe a cogent analysis of budgeting for a fledgling unit. Anything that moves the discussion along to where you, as the end-user, want to see it go.

If you start threads, establish rules of your own in them, and watch over them . . .you'll find that most of the ne'er-do-wells that we might get will end up looking for easier targets and you'll have more people seeking engage you on the issue rather than the person.

It takes a certain amount of work to do that in an forum environment where it's easy to let corps alliances, friendships and other things color a thought process or an analysis. Sometimes people let passion get the better of them. . .and that's okay too. It happens, especially this time of the year.

Anyway, know this: moderators here want the site to be the best it can be as well, but, it does, as the saying goes . . .take a village. If you see something that needs moderation intervention, report it. If you don't like the way a conversation is going, report it. Let someone know.

Of course, not everyone is going to agree with decisions that are made. Moderation isn't an exact science, no more than human nature is. What may be a slight to one person may be no big deal to another . . .and so on.

Finally, I'd say that anyone here who has ideas on how to make the site better . . whether it be thoughts on tweaking forums, creating new content or whatever else . . .do it! Send your ideas to MikeN or JohnD . . .they do listen. I know that for a fact.

After all, this part of DCP is no more or no less than what we make of it. :thumbup:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll offer some POV here . . .the following (disclaimer ahead) isn't indicative of official DCP policies, just some IMO thoughts:

SNIP

Finally, I'd say that anyone here who has ideas on how to make the site better . . whether it be thoughts on tweaking forums, creating new content or whatever else . . .do it! Send your ideas to MikeN or JohnD . . .they do listen. I know that for a fact.

After all, this part of DCP is no more or no less than what we make of it. :sad:

One of the best and nicest posts that I have ever read from someone in authroity on DCP.

Very nice way of making MANY points without being defensive or breaking an arm to pat yourself on the back. You are a true positive for DCP.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Well said Bawker. I have received an open invitation via Instant Message from MikeN to discuss ideas and I look forward to taking advantage of it.

I do think we can add side forums without changing the current structure. I think we can also add sub forums to what we already have without changing anything.

One I would really like to see happen is a usual suspect in the summer - Show Threads

1. It's easier to find all current shows in one sub forum

2. It's easier to find past show threads in one sub forum

3. It might even make sense to use a second server during the summer rather than boosting bandwidth. You could keep all show followers on one server so the entire site doesn't crash. I don't know if this is the way you want to go or if it would really work .. but it's something that could be looked into.

With this theory in mind ....... the other suggestions I've made also make sense. Why dig through 20 pages of threads to find something like Competitive Intertia ... that went down said 20 pages in a matter of 4 hours. Granted I can hit search, but if this type of thread is in the THINKTANK sub forum of World Class .. I know right where to go when I'm feeling the mood to pontificate.

Just more food for thought I guess.

If anyone has set suggestions that you would like me to discuss with MikeN, please feel free to message me directly.

• 2 months later...

One of the real problems in this whole thing is that people can remain Anonymous. You dont have to really identify yourself on here. So you can be crass, rude etc without actually taking the blame for it. If everyone was required to actually have a real profile with names etc it might eliminate some of the stuff that goes on here. Just my two cents.

Edited by tradition

and what's to stop someone from setting up a profile with a false name? names are just as anonymous, unless you require a credit card to create a profile or something else that can be name verified.....

DCP going down the tubes?

It is 6:55am Pacific Standard time where I am. Currently, there are 238 users logged in on DCP. Have you EVER seen that kind of traffic on ANY OTHER forum you have ever seen? Yeah, DCP going down the tubes MY FOOT.

Then again, it's now 7:46 on a quiet evening in late September and there's only one here besides myself. Of course, it could be a rehearsal night for some.

Which also equals dinner time depending how far west you are, and mid-way thru the Sunday night football game....I think you could have used a better time for comparison, like maybe a Saturday night around 9 PM since people are usually sitting around bored with nothing to do then too... :tongue:

I've noticed a lot more descension on DCP this year than in recent years.

I've noticed more and more one line/half sentence posts that are brutal and "a matter of factly".

I've noticed a disappointing ability for most to respond to longer posts that are well thought out and supported with detailed facts, opinions and data.

You suck.

:tongue::worthy::sad:

Fran