DCP going down the tubes?

I've noticed a lot more descension on DCP this year than in recent years.

I've noticed more and more one line/half sentence posts that are brutal and "a matter of factly".

I've noticed a disappointing ability for most to respond to longer posts that are well thought out and supported with detailed facts, opinions and data.

There are a few main kinds of threads here on DCP. Show Threads, Corps Threads, Slam Threads, Highbrow Threads.

Show threads are a place where everyone can chitchat and get updates in close to real time. The problem with show threads is when a "honk" or "hater" comes in with a one liner backhand slap to the face such as "Your corps sux0rz" and doesn't back up why they think that way. Seriously, there should be a rule against this type of antagonization if DCP wishes to maintain/grow it's following and have some shred of integrity in the process.

Corps threads are great and offer an opportunity for fan$ of said corps to show their love and discuss this corps show in detail. Same problem as with the Show Threads, someone has to come in and stir the pot with a one liner and all hell breaks loose.

Slam Threads flat out should not be tolerated. I think the mods are smart enough to understand if a member of DCP has posted a thread in good faith and supported their viewpoint by way of in depth responses supported by public material, historical data, trends, etc etc etc. The mods are also smart enough to understand when the poster has NOT done so.

Highbrow Threads are the most fun for me. There are a handful of members on this board who enjoy having healthy debate and in depth analysis of intriguing subject matter that makes us all think, support our views properly and make this website something worth visiting. It also requires some effort on the responders part to put in the same effort as the poster you're responding to. Again, it's the (insert your favorite label) people who ruin those threads, usually by posting a one line response to an excellent post over stupid things like syntax or a backhanded slam on something taken out of context. The really disappointing thing to me, is that if someone takes the time to write an excellent post in the OTHER threads it is usually overlooked, not responded to at all or knitpicked by the children of DCP.

Has the IQ of DCP membership really plunged so low? I think most of you are better than that, you're just being lazy. It's getting to the point where DCP should rethink their chat categories and group these types of threads accordingly. There should also be some tougher rules spelled out so MOM doesn't get her panties in a pinch when a dimwitted punk attacks their beloved corps in the "IMPROPER" manner in which they do it.

So now I'm pointing the finger at almost everyone. DCP, lay down some better rules and tighten up the site. DCP'ers ..... put in some effort and take care when you post. Mod's..... help clean this place up. At least make an effort. After all, who wants to read a 32 page thread when 20 pages of it is people arguing like 2 year olds over who can talk the loudest?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've noticed a lot more descension on DCP this year than in recent years.

I've noticed more and more one line/half sentence posts that are brutal and "a matter of factly".

I've noticed a disappointing ability for most to respond to longer posts that are well thought out and supported with detailed facts, opinions and data.

There are a few main kinds of threads here on DCP. Show Threads, Corps Threads, Slam Threads, Highbrow Threads.

Show threads are a place where everyone can chitchat and get updates in close to real time. The problem with show threads is when a "honk" or "hater" comes in with a one liner backhand slap to the face such as "Your corps sux0rz" and doesn't back up why they think that way. Seriously, there should be a rule against this type of antagonization if DCP wishes to maintain/grow it's following and have some shred of integrity in the process.

Corps threads are great and offer an opportunity for fan$ of said corps to show their love and discuss this corps show in detail. Same problem as with the Show Threads, someone has to come in and stir the pot with a one liner and all hell breaks loose.

Slam Threads flat out should not be tolerated. I think the mods are smart enough to understand if a member of DCP has posted a thread in good faith and supported their viewpoint by way of in depth responses supported by public material, historical data, trends, etc etc etc. The mods are also smart enough to understand when the poster has NOT done so.

Highbrow Threads are the most fun for me. There are a handful of members on this board who enjoy having healthy debate and in depth analysis of intriguing subject matter that makes us all think, support our views properly and make this website something worth visiting. It also requires some effort on the responders part to put in the same effort as the poster you're responding to. Again, it's the (insert your favorite label) people who ruin those threads, usually by posting a one line response to an excellent post over stupid things like syntax or a backhanded slam on something taken out of context. The really disappointing thing to me, is that if someone takes the time to write an excellent post in the OTHER threads it is usually overlooked, not responded to at all or knitpicked by the children of DCP.

Has the IQ of DCP membership really plunged so low? I think most of you are better than that, you're just being lazy. It's getting to the point where DCP should rethink their chat categories and group these types of threads accordingly. There should also be some tougher rules spelled out so MOM doesn't get her panties in a pinch when a dimwitted punk attacks their beloved corps in the "IMPROPER" manner in which they do it.

So now I'm pointing the finger at almost everyone. DCP, lay down some better rules and tighten up the site. DCP'ers ..... put in some effort and take care when you post. Mod's..... help clean this place up. At least make an effort. After all, who wants to read a 32 page thread when 20 pages of it is people arguing like 2 year olds over who can talk the loudest?

In before the close... or the move (I think this is going to get booted to the DCP rant file sorry to say).

My two cents...

1.There are a lot of 12 year-old's that come to DCP and start flame threads, or talk out of their ### because they don't know better.

2. I can't figure the mods out to save my life. There isn't a lot of common sense used when closing threads. There are some obvious threads that should be closed but aren't because they haven't violated the terms of service, yet there are other times when a thread hasn't violated the TOS and it's shut down with no legit reason.

I guess the thing that baffles me is that there are some great people running the show here yet no one can seem to get on the same page.

As for this year, things have gone way out of control, yet the mods have let it go. If anyone needs to take the blame, its the people that run this site. It's only a matter of time before someone starts a new site and the folks here start going elsewhere.

Edited by Newseditor44

Yeah, we should all be college bando alumni who live in mansions and majored in English lit. Give people a break. If I make a mistake in my spelling or grammer I'll usually go back and edit the post, but that's just me. If someone else fat-fingers something on their keyboard I can still figure out what they mean. It's Drum Corps not rocket science.

After reading your post, I thought, "hmmm, yeah, much of DCP is as you described, but then again...much of America is the way you describe."

I think for the most part, this is the world we live in and there are those who are thoughtful and those who are thoughtless. There are those who have enough civility to criticize and critique in a decent, adult manner and there are those who have a corncob up their buh-hind and are simply looking for a reason to get offended. Drum Corps Political Correctness (DCPC).

I don't think that it's always the role of the moderators to shut down threads and banish people. In fact, I think they should be slow to do so. However, I do think that those who want to have an intelligent (albeit sometimes heated) discussion should simply ignore the flamers or if you have the creativity to call them out, then do so. This needs to be done with great care because these spiteful people actually are looking to pick a fight (but then again, y'all already knew this).

I understand your frustration, but you're smart enough to filter out the noise. You learned how to do this in drum corps. Remember?

After reading your post, I thought, "hmmm, yeah, much of DCP is as you described, but then again...much of America is the way you describe."

I think for the most part, this is the world we live in and there are those who are thoughtful and those who are thoughtless. There are those who have enough civility to criticize and critique in a decent, adult manner and there are those who have a corncob up their buh-hind and are simply looking for a reason to get offended. Drum Corps Political Correctness (DCPC).

I don't think that it's always the role of the moderators to shut down threads and banish people. In fact, I think they should be slow to do so. However, I do think that those who want to have an intelligent (albeit sometimes heated) discussion should simply ignore the flamers or if you have the creativity to call them out, then do so. This needs to be done with great care because these spiteful people actually are looking to pick a fight (but then again, y'all already knew this).

I understand your frustration, but you're smart enough to filter out the noise. You learned how to do this in drum corps. Remember?

As always, look to the Seniors :wall: for the wisdom! Whether you are a Senior or not, well said. And for the record... I agree with the sentiment of the OP almost entirely. We are becoming a society of incomplete thought and headlines (almost like we need to say it within 140 characters in a text msg!). In a way...it's sort of like the story of PR's show last year - thumbs up :smile:or thumbs down :worthy: , but it's never that easy! When it comes to this subject I always think of the scene in Wayne's World when the Rob Lowe character lets go with a barrage of well placed words discribing our hero Wayne Campbell as a giant loser, when he finishes Wayne begins to obviously think hard about a response and after a few facial gyrations he announces....."Bite me!" :lol:

In the 4 or 5 years I've been posting on DCP, I honestly think that for better or worse, it's the same now as it's always been.

2. I can't figure the mods out to save my life. There isn't a lot of common sense used when closing threads. There are some obvious threads that should be closed but aren't because they haven't violated the terms of service, yet there are other times when a thread hasn't violated the TOS and it's shut down with no legit reason.

I'm with you on this and will add that I don't get how suspensions are applied. I got the boot for a week for saying that someone was evading a question (using a Star Trek "evasive maneuvers" reference to hopefully make it humourous).

Yes there will be a few people that just want to stir it up, others that have a particular point of view they are trying to push, but complaining that it isn't all "Anne of Green Gables" isn't realistic, I'm afraid. People are pretty passionate about this activity.

IMO, if someone comes in and says anything slightly less positive than "OMG!!! Your corps rox0rz!!!!" all the band moms and band mom wannabees come out and pummel the poster with PC-ness.

If everyone could handle honest critique or a contrasting opinion, maybe it would be easier to deal with the real trolls.

DCP going down the tubes?

Clue in on THIS:

It is 6:55am Pacific Standard time where I am. Currently, there are 238 users logged in on DCP.

Have you EVER seen that kind of traffic on ANY OTHER forum you have ever seen?

Yeah, DCP going down the tubes MY FOOT.

Rich, I believe the question here is of quality, not quantity.

That being said, I've been here since the beginning, and while I'd agree that the overall tone has degenerated a bit, it's pretty easy to gloss over posts from high school age wannabes and moms and dads who are fans of their corps but perhaps not as educated re: the art form and focus on the more salient observations from others. There are still some smart, observant, original things being said in the reviews so far this season, which continues to make this a valuable resource. If you want a reality check, go back and look-in on the predecessor newsgroup and see what's going on there. :worthy:

I do wish there was a segment of the forum that was dedicated to aesthetics of the form, with educated, intellectually-supported positions discussed and no room for "team-think" rah-rahism, but you can't have everything.

Edited by mobrien