DCP going down the tubes?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would tend to agree that there are maybe more angry, aggressive posts on the board lately... I disagree that the mods. are not doing anything about it... I had made a joke recently that I thought was not all that taseless, just mostly tasteless and it involved a user name. I got back on DCP and got a nice but firm PM about limitting these type of personal attacks... It wasn't that big of a deal, but I could also see why they are doing it and am glad they are.... I believe the age of DCP is younger and thus immaturity will always find it's way into the board.... I also agree with the post that said that this borad has way above average numbers for any chat forum.... Couple that with passionate aggresive feelings and we get the flaming and heated posts.... Most of us have had our moments, but I tend to love the fact that after people tend to go back and forth with each other, someone always brings a good point to light and focuses the topic back on the original prompt... I believe there are some great/wise/knowledgible and intellegent people here and my hope is that they continue to post and give us things to ponder and write about.... Here's to many years of DCPing for all ages.....

Wes P

BK '97 '98

eh. i dont think its gotten all that worse. its like this most summers (been on here since 2003). DCP Mod enforcement.... yeah, its uneven at times, and ive had complaints about it in the past. However, if you think a thread is violating the TOS, hit that red report button. There are so many threads on here, sometimes a post or thread gets missed.

DCP can't go down the tubes.

There are too many people with no lives and zero inter-personal skills that will allow them to go meet REAL people. All of their friends live on this site and unfortunately, DCP provides them a reason for living.

Could you imagine the suicide rates of DCP weren't here? Yeah, there are crappy people on here, but they are drumcorps crappy people!

Sorry, I've been without cable and internet for 3 days and am realizing how pathetic I am without my DCP crack.

Just because any on line forum doesn't exactly go as any ONE person might like it to does NOT mean it's going down the tubes. We have so many people here who hide behind their screen names and post things that run the course from personal opinion to downright nastiness to supportive crtiticism.

Of course, if anyone doesn't like it... they don't have to come back. And some don't!

DCP has been and will continue to be a place where the heavily opinionated come and lay down all the smack talk and gripe-fest BS they can. But it also a great place where the fans of ALL drum corps come to see what's up... to discuss a few things... to remember days gone by and express feelings on what is yet to come.

It ain't always "warm & fuzzies" ... but it is the only decent and well run forum dedicated to Drum Corps that's worth visiting.

Down the Tubes? Nah. But thanks for playing. Fabulous prizes and gifts await you just off stage... :worthy:

Isn't the word you mean...."dissention"?

(-:

LOL, but isn't it funnyt that so many correct people seriously and not jokingly like he's doing.... I think that is a big part of the problem.... I know that a perfect world of spelling and grammar would be great but I have an english teacher for a mother who incidently taught me 3 years in school growing up.... It makes perfect sense why i can't spell, I had to ignore her... ha ha ha... But seriously it's the attitude of I am higher than thou 'cause i can spell or you're post is dumb cause your grammar is terrible... It just makes people like myself go insane.... There used to be a cartoon that had a character named "Mrs. Manners" and it as though that lady come to life.... Anyway, No won lerned mee howz too spoak end spel...

Wes P

Edited by wesleyrp

Who would have ever thought that George Dixon's baby would become what he hated so much about RAMD.

Once upon a time, RAMD was mostly people who were hard corps drum corps people who loved to argue, debate and in general, relive the "back of the bus" in what we knew as only drum corps members and alumni could.

Geroge HATED the fact that rude and vulgar language was used when some "hand wringing, so excited to spread their bando ignorance" would get put in their proper place, in the front of the bus.

It's a hard knock life so they say, riding high in April, shot down in May.

You can't regulate behavior in a nation that generally ignores the arts for favor of sports in public schools. It's a time ( as the pastor stated) that "Americas' chickens have come home to roost".

Of course Mr. Dixon had a wonderful idea that every voice should be heard and that we SHOULD be polite to one another. He considered RAMD rude and barabic for the most part. What he didn't realize is that with as many ignorant people in America, sometimes one must verbally slap the stupid back into line by proving what a moron they are with their own words highlighted with some #### thrown in for good measure.

Many of us former RAMDers made the switch to DCP and for the most part, enjoy it, however, this is the kiddie playground when compared to the back alley in a bad neighborhood known as RAMD.

Maybe the answer is to have a section that you can only read and not post to unless you have passed a test of knowledge that covers drum corps history, music education and the like ? Let's NOT count spelling please, I majored in music.

At least someone has taken notice that the bando mentality has become a problem, however, when corps are run as "Honor Marching Bands International" one does see the result. Just look at the problems on the field for retreat finals night.

It was a nice try George Dixon, and I applaude you for trying.

IMO, if someone comes in and says anything slightly less positive than "OMG!!! Your corps rox0rz!!!!" all the band moms and band mom wannabees come out and pummel the poster with PC-ness.

If everyone could handle honest critique or a contrasting opinion, maybe it would be easier to deal with the real trolls.

Good point except that many posters do not have the knowledge or DC experience to be able defend their opinions. Afterall, how many posters here have not only never marched corps, they might only have seen one show their freshman year of high school because their band director took them to one ?

Besides, they were talking the whole time at the show.............

It honestly doesn't seem too much different this summer than the last few. The targets have changed - Cadets fans get it easy this summer, Crown fans feel more heat - but the tone and signal-to-noise ratio are about the same.

There's still a lot here worth reading. Just skip over the posters who have nothing to add and the dead horses still being beaten on the 240th discussion page, and it's not a bad site.

Who would have ever thought that George Dixon's baby would become what he hated so much about RAMD.

Once upon a time, RAMD was mostly people who were hard corps drum corps people who loved to argue, debate and in general, relive the "back of the bus" in what we knew as only drum corps members and alumni could.

Geroge HATED the fact that rude and vulgar language was used when some "hand wringing, so excited to spread their bando ignorance" would get put in their proper place, in the front of the bus.

It's a hard knock life so they say, riding high in April, shot down in May.

You can't regulate behavior in a nation that generally ignores the arts for favor of sports in public schools. It's a time ( as the pastor stated) that "Americas' chickens have come home to roost".

Of course Mr. Dixon had a wonderful idea that every voice should be heard and that we SHOULD be polite to one another. He considered RAMD rude and barabic for the most part. What he didn't realize is that with as many ignorant people in America, sometimes one must verbally slap the stupid back into line by proving what a moron they are with their own words highlighted with some #### thrown in for good measure.

Many of us former RAMDers made the switch to DCP and for the most part, enjoy it, however, this is the kiddie playground when compared to the back alley in a bad neighborhood known as RAMD.

Maybe the answer is to have a section that you can only read and not post to unless you have passed a test of knowledge that covers drum corps history, music education and the like ? Let's NOT count spelling please, I majored in music.

At least someone has taken notice that the bando mentality has become a problem, however, when corps are run as "Honor Marching Bands International" one does see the result. Just look at the problems on the field for retreat finals night.

It was a nice try George Dixon, and I applaude you for trying.

Now this is an example of a well thought out post.

Give the OP some credit though. I think he/she is on to something that is brewing in our DCP community. There have been a lot of negative threads out there in the past month or so and they mainly reflect on the changes we are seeing with DCI. The old school folks are starting to uprise and the new school folk are trying to say "its okay, this will turn out all right." or whatever. I don't think getting in arguments are a bad thing though. That is why we are here. The bigger question might be "Is DCI going down the tubes?" That seems to be a vibe I'm picking up.

The OP does think there is some real cut downs and flames abound but I really don't see it being that bad. Yeah there is mudslinging between the "schools of thought" but personal attacks are not that prevalent. I actually think Youtube has more issues than we do on here. Youtube could stand to be moderated with the trolls on the loose :smile: . But that is another can of worms.

Well thought out responses are nice to see but I really don't have time to read all of the longer posts. I prefer responses to be under a paragraph or two. I even consciously try to keep my posts short because I know I gloss over the long ones and people have already glossed over this one....

No DCP is not going town the tubes. I've been on other forums that were much more lame and poorly moderated. Yeah some people could take a few more seconds to make their posts readable. I'm not talking about perfect punctuation but when your post "lux lik a txt msg thn its hrd to readz" (Again I don't see too much of that, once in a while though.)

Oh and emoticons are our friends because they often clue us in on if you are joking or being cynical.

:worthy: