The Denver Diner

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the recaps, i'm just kinda curious how last night Cavies had a 16.20 in brass and were .30 behind the Bluecoats, and tonight they have a 17.30 and are .80 ahead of the Bluecoats. Over a point swing in one night, against the same corps in almost the same location?

Albert Lo judged brass last night, and he loves the Bluecoats, and never shows much love to the Cavaliers.

Who's right? No one, of course, but I'm just pointing out what I've noticed historically.

Maybe the Cavaliers had an off night last night in brass?

Very true, but that would also mean that it should be a 3 tenth swing back and minus for BC, about 6 tenths, totally normal. 1.1 differential suggests a much different opinion on a basic level of how these horn line relate.

It says that while they were comparable the night before and Coats had a slight edge, tonight there was no comparison in the groups. Judges take the value of a tenth very seriously and .8 is a big statement from the field judge tonight. It just shows a really wide view of how field brass is judged by different people. it should be more consistent judge to judge with performance variances for each different shows, but I guess all the captions should be.

Cavies may have been better tonight and perhaps Coats are nowhere close to their brassline. I don't hear it, but we will see long term. I haven't heard either on the field in person, so I wouldn't be the best one to give an opinion yet.

Edited by trumpetcam

:thumbdown: Lost! Throw us a bone here! :huh:

I was saying that if history tells us anything, Cavies will likely get the judging nod long term in a battle between these two hornlines and that perhaps tonight's brass judge was right on. Who knows.

That's all. :huh:

Don't sleep on the Scouts.

POW!

No - but when I was a kid my favourite car was the Lincoln Mark V.

(yes, that makes me old).

ahhh, the more you know... *shooting star*

just got one (mkz) back in october. not too shabby.

/me on topic

albert lo tends to favor Bloo and Regiment...he may be of the mindset that brass should be heard, big, and ballsy.

/me on topic

albert lo tends to favor Bloo and Regiment...he may be of the mindset that brass should be heard, big, and ballsy.

Love the MKZ!

Love Bloo this year. Haven't liked them since 2005. Cavies aren't doing it for me this year. IMO this year is comparable to their Chicago show. I know what they do is good, but it just feels..........................Meh.

Edited by LincolnV

/me on topic

It's the reason why who wins the Jim Ott Trophy often comes down to who the specific judges are finals week. There is a divided lines between the guys who like the refinement of the Cavies sound vs. the guys who like the corps that really play at all levels on the field, ala PR and Crown (BD has its own unique take on the whole thing, they kind of fall in the middle).

It's too bad really because a hornline like Phantom should have won brass at least once in the past 5 years, but have gotten 2nd nearly every year and just lost out on the total three night score several times. Take one refined only type judge away and they would have won one of those years.

You guys should hear the debates over hornlines at the DCI Judges Clinics between staff and judges.. WOW... LOTS of different opinions and its no wonder why they can't seem to agree who they like in a given year. Just too many good and unique hornlines to pick one out. its apples and oranges and a tough job for sure to judge! no thanks, I'll just sit back and enjoy all of them! :thumbdown:

Edited by trumpetcam