Diabetes

Hey quick question... I have type one diabetes and it's never stopped me from doing anything before (marching, backpacking, etc.) but I've had some doubts about my ability to do drum corps. I was going to try out for Blue Knights but just wasn't sure about it. I'm generally healthy and I'm in good shape other than the diabetes that sometimes requires a little extra attention. Just wanted some other opinions about how much it may hold me back if at all.

• Like 1

if Cutler can play football you can march. just have those sugar tablets or insulin if you use it reeady.

Regiment has a mello (iirc) with Diabetes this year. they take bets on what his blood sugar level is after run-throughs

anyone get it right?

We had a diabetic in SoCal Dream in 06. He watched his levels, and when he went to DCA with us, a lot of us watched him as well.

Take proper precautions and you'll be fine. You might want to find someone with type 1 who's done corps before for more direct info. Don't let it stop you.

alright thanks guys... got the pump and the sensor so I'm set.

• Like 1

Quite a number of kids have marched with diabetes. The corps medical staffs watch them well. They know their limitations and how to take care of themselves. It shouldn't prevent you from having the time of your life.

If you make the corps management aware it shouldn't be a problem for them to accomodate you. I know when I marched in Coats there was a young lady in the guard who was type 1 and she did fine as far as I know.

Hey quick question... I have type one diabetes and it's never stopped me from doing anything before (marching, backpacking, etc.) but I've had some doubts about my ability to do drum corps. I was going to try out for Blue Knights but just wasn't sure about it. I'm generally healthy and I'm in good shape other than the diabetes that sometimes requires a little extra attention. Just wanted some other opinions about how much it may hold me back if at all.

BK has had several diabetics march in the past. I know this from personal experience. Just be upfront and honest about your needs and they will absolutely accommodate you.

Good luck! :thumbup: