The 17th All-Japan Championships

Eddie

Championships is next weekend. Just reserved my bus ticket to Tokyo. Not sure how long I may be able to stay after the festivities though... we'll see.

One of the groups there will be the Shonan Dolphins. For their age they are one of the best marching units I have seen.

I remember them. They were good... and their director/drum major got best drum major for the any-key category last year. I kind of chuckled at that... oh well.

Scores,caption awards, and some brief notes only. A full review will follow, either by Eddie or myself. We both took plenty of notes except for Inspires and Scouts.

The scores are mostly accurate. I had trouble understanding what was being said due to the stadium speakers.

Any Key:

3) 78.5 Shonan Dolphins: They are an elementary school band. Would absolutely destroy BDC.

2) 85.2 Sendai Verdures: great Flugel and bari soloists

1) 94.0 Shounandai Prefectural High School "White Shooting Stars" : Largest group there; 68 brass. As good as if not better than top BOA bands.

Division 2:

5) 76.45 Phoenix Regiment: They seem to get smaller every year. Nice rotating company front.

4) 77.50 Sonic Lancers: The best I have ever seen them.

3) 79.45 Imperial Sound: Great drumline, especially basses.

2) 82.80 Tokyo Phoenix: Like Phoenix Regiment they are getting smaller every passing year. Very different show from what they have done in the past.

1) 84.90 Jokers: Swept all captions. No one else was close.

Division 1:

2) 91.05 Yokohama Scouts: Well designed show, and clean performance. Seemed to lack "it". Had no umph.

1) 91.45 Yokohama Inspires: Had lots of umph! The score is misleading. Had a much better performance than Scouts. Drove the crowd crazy, but did not win GE. Won all other captions.

Edited by InspaDave

Inspires not winning GE was a bit of a shocker... but they still came out on top with an incredibly well performed show. It was nice to see the Jokers back on top and staying later for an encore performance. I couldn't be any more proud of the Sonic Lancers for their performance... by far the best performance by them in the past decade or so. Both Phoenix groups are in a bit of a recession, regretfully... but overall a great day of drum corps.

A new announcer would be nice.

Report to come soon on DCP news

A new announcer would be nice.

I'm sure Fran Haring would come over for just airfare and a hotel.

just took notice. This year's champions (White Shooting Stars, Jokers, Inspires) are the same as 2 years ago.