Madison Scouts create new Winterguard

ATXguard

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's like Nacho Libre meets the Tick :tongue:

You are partly right - Relámpago is the spanish word for thunder. It is the name taken by a comic book hero of Mexican-American descent. Emiliano Zapata Salazar also had a horse by that name - this is one of the Mexican revolutionaries who were aligned with Pancho Villa. There is a Puerto Rican wrestler who once use the name El Relámpago but he now goes by the name Konnan.

• 2 weeks later...

As a colorguard parent from the NW I have to say I am highly highly disappointed in the Madison Scout organization.

The Pacific NW is barely ready and able to support 1 world guard (We have 2 as the 2 local Open guards got 1st and 7th at WGI and both were bumped to world class for next year) let alone 3 world guards!

If the madison scouts wanted to start a winterguard they should have tried doing it in their own backyards! This move can ONLY be detrimental to the small winterguard scene in the NW. We need succesfully run (on and off the floor) quality winterguards. Here it is DEFINITELY about quality over quantity for the time being. Perhaps as NxNW and Rhapsody become more and more succeful the high school programs will also grow and someday we'll be able to support 3 world guards but for now.. I only see disaster in the future for all these programs!

For Shame!

My bets are that the Madison Scouts are not counting on a strictly local recruiting base for this guard. If they recruit nationally they should not have an impact on the other world class guards in the Pacific NW.

I for one am excited to have another region with a strong world class competitive grouping.

My questions -

1) Why the location so far away from Madison?

2) How are the Scouts involved in the new Winterguard? Instructors? Financially? Members?

As a colorguard parent from the NW I have to say I am highly highly disappointed in the Madison Scout organization.

The Pacific NW is barely ready and able to support 1 world guard (We have 2 as the 2 local Open guards got 1st and 7th at WGI and both were bumped to world class for next year) let alone 3 world guards!

If the madison scouts wanted to start a winterguard they should have tried doing it in their own backyards! This move can ONLY be detrimental to the small winterguard scene in the NW. We need succesfully run (on and off the floor) quality winterguards. Here it is DEFINITELY about quality over quantity for the time being. Perhaps as NxNW and Rhapsody become more and more succeful the high school programs will also grow and someday we'll be able to support 3 world guards but for now.. I only see disaster in the future for all these programs!

For Shame!

My guess is that it has more to do with the creative people being West Coasters so naturally they would like this enterprise located close to them.

• 3 weeks later...

To any Madison Scouts Administrative Staff:

I have now seen for myself recruitment emails being sent to High School students. Also a large part of the staff at Fluer De Lis comes from ANOTHER portland guard that is folding (apparently into Fluer De Lis. It goes like this Cascades Ind -> NxNW -> Fluer De Lis. Theyre all essentially the same guard with the same staff. Unfortunately here in Portland we can't seem to get any sense of stability within our circuit or Ind. Ensembles) and that guard and staff are known to recruit students OUT of High School Programs. I did not think that was ever the intention with Independent Units (Except in rare cases where a student and their parent specifically asks for a scholastic release to be signed). In fact WGI strongly discourages this practice.