If You Could Go Back

Saturday night. Chester, Pennsylvania. First show of the year for us. June 5th. 2nd Place (Garfield beat us by 5 tenths but that's not important because we got like 4 points in penalties!) That was our Woodstock premier. A night show - right before we broke ranks (before the "riot" scene) the sky blew up with thunder and lightning and just as the rain came teeming down we began the run to our next set (the judges and many of the folks in the stands weren't ready for this show - they never saw a corps run on the field before and thought we were responding to the rain and lightning) there were people on the field and as we continued the exit they retreated while our black plumes nearly destroyed our uniforms we completed the show turned around for the final chords of the show trying to outplay the thunder the crowd went stupid all down out of the stands and on the track. If I never marched again - and I did that and the next season (my last!) l will only dream of marching one other show. 1993 Star. But 1971 changed the way Drum Corps performed shows forever. That is the word.

Puppet

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saturday night. Chester, Pennsylvania. First show of the year for us. June 5th. 2nd Place (Garfield beat us by 5 tenths but that's not important because we got like 4 points in penalties!) That was our Woodstock premier. A night show - right before we broke ranks (before the "riot" scene) the sky blew up with thunder and lightning and just as the rain came teeming down we began the run to our next set (the judges and many of the folks in the stands weren't ready for this show - they never saw a corps run on the field before and thought we were responding to the rain and lightning) there were people on the field and as we continued the exit they retreated while our black plumes nearly destroyed our uniforms we completed the show turned around for the final chords of the show trying to outplay the thunder the crowd went stupid all down out of the stands and on the track. If I never marched again - and I did that and the next season (my last!) l will only dream of marching one other show. 1993 Star. But 1971 changed the way Drum Corps performed shows forever. That is the word.

Puppet

You sir are reading much better, I must say - I was overseas for this show, but it sounds like an unforgettable experience.

Puppet

For sure 1971 was amazing! And yes, many judges were just not ready for shows like ours and yours. We got killed by some, esp when the drumline was split in two to accompany the 'British' and 'Colonials'...we had a hoedown in 2 and minuet in 3 going on at the same time...and drum judges had no idea how to judge it.

BTW..we increased the point spread the next day in Wilmington at Blue Rock's show. :thumbup:

I'd say my top six would be............

1975 Scouts

1980 BD

1980 Bridgemen

1987 SCV

1992 Crossmen

1995 Scouts

For sure 1971 was amazing! And yes, many judges were just not ready for shows like ours and yours. We got killed by some, esp when the drumline was split in two to accompany the 'British' and 'Colonials'...we had a hoedown in 2 and minuet in 3 going on at the same time...and drum judges had no idea how to judge it.

BTW..we increased the point spread the next day in Wilmington at Blue Rock's show. :satisfied:

And, by way of explanation Garfield created the peace symbol on the field that year (or was that '72?) Was the story about telling the VFW people that it was a Mercedes Benz emblem true?

About Star '93: Although '91 was their ultimate year and I love the music of Respighi, The Music of Barber and Bartok (and I know you've heard me go on about this before!) was such a leap and they played that score with such anger (the way it was meant to be played) I'd loved to have marched that! I was only in my forties at the time, sooo ... I could have probably marched Muchachos (sorry couldn't pass that one up!) but not Star.

Puppet

And, by way of explanation Garfield created the peace symbol on the field that year (or was that '72?) Was the story about telling the VFW people that it was a Mercedes Benz emblem true?

I've heard that a lot of times, but never from anyone who would know for sure. We actually did it first in 1970 to "White Rabbit", a GREAT chart by John Sasso with an ending by DCP's own Ironlips. That's the year Tony 'hic' Schlechta wanted to throw us out of VFW Nats in Miami.

I've heard that a lot of times, but never from anyone who would know for sure. We actually did it first in 1970 to "White Rabbit", a GREAT chart by John Sasso with an ending by DCP's own Ironlips. That's the year Tony 'hic' Schlechta wanted to throw us out of VFW Nats in Miami.

Was that the Burt Bacharach exit?

Yeah, 70 was the year we didn't make the finals - great trip, though.

Puppet

Was that the Burt Bacharach exit?

Yeah, 70 was the year we didn't make the finals - great trip, though.

Puppet

Yup! Music from "Promises, Promises"....

Our drum solo after 'White Rabbit' was "I'll Never Fall in Love Again" from the show, featuring the first-year timpani line on the melody. When they nailed the tuning it worked well...at VFW finals it was...well...hmmmmm...the tuning was not quite on the money. George Tuthill was a master at writing for the timps, giving them a lot of melodic material. They were especially magnificent in 1971.

Exit was "Knowing when to Leave"...with a final closing fanfare of the main "Promises, Promises" theme after we crossed the goal line in the endzone.

92 Crossmen... Love love LOVE that show!