And the Winner Will Be…

Cadets of Wherever They Let Us Park Our Buses for The Winter

They charter buses these days.

Remember how The Cavaliers went undefeated after late July of 2001 and produced two back-to-back UNDEFEATED SEASONS in 2002 and 2003? Oh wait, I guess BD caught the invincible Cavaliers at Indy in 2003 with 2 weeks left and never looked back. Point is, dominating an entire season isn't a guarantee of winning finals; larger point is, who knows what will happen. I'm just happy that Cadets are in position for a top 3 finish and people really like their show this year.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see many prediction threads throughout the summer listing who people think the top twelve are going to be. Well, I'm not going to make this thread that complicated. There are many who call DCP their summer home, and I think when you are officially prepared to offer your "locked in" prediction for the winner that you can do so here.

I want to make an official Granny prediction and I will stick with it through finals (unless airborne illnesses reek havoc).

I predict that Holy Name will win it all this year. Obviously this is not a risky prediction and many would agree, but the Cadets have the show to beat. They will have it crisp and clean by the time they roll into Indianapolis.

Also, for the record, I am THRILLED with their show this year! I hope the crowd rewards them, first and foremost, because it's a great show, but also because I'd like to see the Cadets return to what makes them great without all of the distractions.

The years teach much which the days never knew. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Granny, I think you are way right on this one!!!!!!!!!!! :blink::worthy::lol::lol:

This I believe......with all my heart....(and a door, of course)! :tongue:

Edited by 2old4this

I am not on the fence, BD will win!

BD is 1st every night in nearly every caption at every show this season. That was not the case last year as Cavies, Phantom and Crown were taking numerous captions each night from them. The more straight 1's I see each night in the recaps, the more convinced I become that Cadets just won't quite catch them this season.

I would love to see it and Cadets are crazy good this year, but BD has no weaknesses, unlike last year with drums and ensemble. It just seems to me that BD has learned from their mistakes last year and if you don't think they will push to make it a win this year, you're crazy. Just because they are laid back and cool doesn't mean they don't work their butts off when it counts! They are on a mission to prove that last year was a fluke. Whether we agree or not.

BD will be sporting ring 13 when Finals night is done. Time to start finishing off the 3rd hand soon... :tongue:

Edited by trumpetcam

Seems like every year at this time, dear old Granny manages to get off her Alzheimer's and incontinence meds and break out of the home for the season.

Well, you have to respect that. She's a rebel, bless her blue-haired soul.

Seems like the years are taking a more aggressive toll on Granny as she's clearly not thinking straight. Even for her.

Blue Devils will have this one in the bag, and the Cadets of Wherever They Let Us Park Our Buses for The Winter will come in 3rd, routed by both the Devils and Carolina Crown.

Ah, Granny ... You're a tenacious old gal. Gotta' give you a lot of credit for trying to keep up with the times. That said, you're wrong on this one ... Just like you were when you tried to ###### all of those tighty-whitey's for your collection when Madison had a laundry day near the home last summer.

Hang in there, old gal (but keep taking the incontinence meds 'cause ... eww, gross.)

First of all, we all know (at least I thought we did) that true Scouts do not wear tighty-whitey's. For some reason, I get the feeling you are trying to bait me, but I will not reveal any secrets.

Secondly, the only time I struggle with incontinence is when I see stringed instruments in the pit.

Now...on to the debate. Will the Blue Devils win? See my original post. I think people who are picking the Devils to win have failed to fully appreciate the drum corps masterpiece that the Cadets have put on the field. Sure...it's a bit rough right now, but as I objectively look at the shows that are contending, this is the most complete package, and they are going to do it the "old fashioned" way...with music and drill.

Last year about this time, a movement was started on DCP that (in my humble opinion) helped build the grassroots fan movement behind Phantom's win (note: I am NOT at all taking away from the fact that they earned it). This happened because we all knew, both objectively and emotively, that their show exemplified all that is right with drum corps. Don't doubt me that the content of those threads last year made it to the judges (whether directly or indirectly) and they knew that they would have to run for their lives if Phantom did not take the title. Regiment had the complete package.

Anyone with a clear mind and a commitment to the distinctives of drum corps will agree with me that the Cadets show is built to win. It's a matter of whether or not they can perform it. Based on decades of history...I'm betting they will.

Don't let me down George. My reputation depends on this.

Edited by Granny Smith

Now...on to the debate. Will the Blue Devils win? See my original post. I think people who are picking the Devils to win have failed to fully appreciate the drum corps masterpiece that the Cadets have put on the field. Sure...it's a bit rough right now, but as I objectively look at the shows that are contending, this is the most complete package, and they are going to do it the "old fashioned" way...with music and drill.

Last year about this time, a movement was started on DCP that (in my humble opinion) helped build the grassroots fan movement behind Phantom's win (note: I am NOT at all taking away from the fact that they earned it). This happened because we all knew, both objectively and emotively, that their show exemplified all that is right with drum corps.

Anyone with a clear mind and a commitment to the distinctives of drum corps will agree with me that the Cadets show is built to win.

On finals night, "all that is right with drum corps" would seem to take 12 separate, remarkable forms. Drum corps needn't only be defined by the wants of the people who prefer traditional shows versus avant-garde shows; emotive shows versus intellectual/cerebral powerhouses. All corps try to juggle all of these things at once, and that's what makes this sport what it is; the corps' style determines what gets more emphasis, and based on our own prejudices, we align ourselves accordingly. I see no reason for us to think that only certain combinations of these things = drum corps overall. It's not that simple. Thank God.

Cadets and BD offer us shows that are equally legitimate to this activity. It's an honor to be a fan of them both.

Edited by saxfreq1128

Last year about this time, a movement was started on DCP that (in my humble opinion) helped build the grassroots fan movement behind Phantom's win (note: I am NOT at all taking away from the fact that they earned it). This happened because we all knew, both objectively and emotively, that their show exemplified all that is right with drum corps. Don't doubt me that the content of those threads last year made it to the judges (whether directly or indirectly) and they knew that they would have to run for their lives if Phantom did not take the title. Regiment had the complete package.

Anyone with a clear mind and a commitment to the distinctives of drum corps will agree with me that the Cadets show is built to win. It's a matter of whether or not they can perform it. Based on decades of history...I'm betting they will.

Don't let me down George. My reputation depends on this.

"Objectively"? Ha! Now you're starting to sound like Hrothgar.

I have no idea what the 'distinctives' of drum corps are, but I feel pretty comfortable saying I have a clear mind, especially in the presence of a guy who posts under the guise of an elderly woman. Now I can't yet comment on the Cadets show as I have not yet seen them, but that will change come Championships. It may that I love the show, it may be that I don't care for it. But to suggest that anyone who disagrees with you has an unclear mind is flatly insulting.

"Objectively"? Ha! Now you're starting to sound like Hrothgar.

I have no idea what the 'distinctives' of drum corps are, but I feel pretty comfortable saying I have a clear mind, especially in the presence of a guy who posts under the guise of an elderly woman. Now I can't yet comment on the Cadets show as I have not yet seen them, but that will change come Championships. It may that I love the show, it may be that I don't care for it. But to suggest that anyone who disagrees with you has an unclear mind is flatly insulting.

Granny's post are a little like a Norman Rockwell painting. Always a little humor drawn in there somewhere. But more to the point "she" stated that people should agree that Garfields show is BUILT to win not actually win. I see no insult there.

Edited by KemoLondon

Cadets are a real threat, but I'm going to have to go with SCV for their decennial win. :tongue:

Yeah, yeah, I know... You're probably seeing my sig or avatar and thinking "Wow, what a surprise pick that is!" :tongue:

It's probably true that my heart picks Vanguard to win every year, but usually my head steps in saying "You fool, you're setting yourself up for disappointment again!" This year my head's saying "it will be very tough, but I suppose it's possible." You know, my head really is a lousy cheerleader.

Go VANGUARD!!!

Forever SCV.

:rock: