Are you SERIOUS, Crossmen?!

I am absolutely flabbergasted. :tongue: I am speechless. :tongue: Above all, I am hurt. :rock:

The decision to induct George Hopkins into the Bones Hall of Fame stuns me. How can we praise a man who did nothing but put the Crossmen on the back burner for so many years? He has literally ignored the corps some years under YEA's wing, never even stepping foot in front of them. What message are we sending our alumni? Who all had negative experiences, or no experiences AT ALL with the man.

This really saddens me. As an alumni, I will have to rethink my involvement. After all the e-mails I get weekly asking for money, and then turning around and donating, despite the choices they make...this whole thing just makes me sick.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am absolutely flabbergasted. :tongue: I am speechless. :tongue: Above all, I am hurt. :rock:

The decision to induct George Hopkins into the Bones Hall of Fame stuns me. How can we praise a man who did nothing but put the Crossmen on the back burner for so many years? He has literally ignored the corps some years under YEA's wing, never even stepping foot in front of them. What message are we sending our alumni? Who all had negative experiences, or no experiences AT ALL with the man.

This really saddens me. As an alumni, I will have to rethink my involvement. After all the e-mails I get weekly asking for money, and then turning around and donating, despite the choices they make...this whole thing just makes me sick.

We are sick, we are sick, we are sick, sick, sick!

Is the award for an alum's involvement with the Crossmen, or is it just for the accomplishments of an alum in general? If the latter is the case (and I'm not always the biggest fan of Hop either), then he fully deserves it. He is an alum of the Crossmen, and since his days there has worked with one of the most influential youth music organizations in the country and at the same time has taken another drum and bugle corps to several world championships. Despite how he may or may not act towards the Crossmen (and I agree completely with your statements of how he has dealt with that organization), that's still an impressive feet for an alum.

Are YOU serious? If it weren't for GH fighting to bring the Crossmen into the YEA organization and fighting to keep YEA supporting them for so many years when they were not financially viable on their own, there would be NO Crossmen to have a Hall of Fame today!!!

Edited by fifer

You're forgetting that he's an alumn himself. He used YEA! to help them out of some serious financial trouble. The whole premise there was that it was a means to an end. When the XMen were ready, they would split from YEA! again. Given all that he has done to HELP the corps, plus his stature in the drum corps world (being one of the most successful alumns of bones), it seems only fitting to have him enter the HOF.

Is the award for an alum's involvement with the Crossmen, or is it just for the accomplishments of an alum in general?

Latter. See the announcement in a thread from a while ago.

i believe he's a founding member or close to it. yes he did help Xmen out of a jam in the mid 90's. some have issues with what he did while he had them in YEA, myself included, and i know many alums are upset in how things ended with the corps moving and a zillion perceptions of why.

but...i can see why he's in on many levels.