How to get enough money for a drum corp?

dudebandnerd

Hey everyone,

Well heres the deal, I am planning on auditioning for Carolina Crown in the up coming fall. The problem is I live in NY, am going to college (SUNY Plattsburgh), and have only about $1000 (all my graduation money). I am confident I have what it takes to be in the corp, but I am a little concerned about the financial part of it. I would rather not get into the corp because I am not good enough rather then not having enough money.

Its not like I haven't tried to find a job but because of my hectic school schedule I could only have a job during the summer but no one would hire for the just summer in my area. I do intend to get a job when i come back for the winter break, but that either is not going to be enough or I will not get a job because of the economy.

Any ideas, comments, suggestions, or anything would be very much appreciated. If anyone is an alum of Crown and has an ideo of how they handle the money issue that would be a great help. Thanks.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to have the financial part of it taken care of before you audition with Crown or other top world class corps. You can have all the talent in the world but if you don't have a financial plan nobody will show much interest in you. Being a member of a world class corps today is extremely expensive. Simpe fact of life.

So if I can't get the money by the first November audition I can't audition?. Could I go to the audition to see if I am good enough?

No corps will ask you to pony up full dues at first camp. But, having a rough idea on how you'll be able to afford it before you go to audition is in your best interest.

They might ask you about how you will pay for it, because one of the biggest annoyances is trying to fill a hole in late May because someone didn't have their dues lined up.

You need to have the financial part of it taken care of before you audition with Crown or other top world class corps. You can have all the talent in the world but if you don't have a financial plan nobody will show much interest in you. Being a member of a world class corps today is extremely expensive. Simpe fact of life.

:satisfied:

by no means is this a personal attack. I find it disgusting that money is becoming a bigger concern for membership in a corps regardless of talent level.

anywho...OP...not to discourage you from auditioning for Crown (one of my favs), have you though of maybe sticking a little closer to home? Maybe check out Cabs. Great corps, dues are less, and weekend only practices might give you the chance to work and save up for Crown, while still being able to march.

btw... if you don't need to use any of the grand you have, why not invest it into a CD? One way to make a little more money w/o really doing anything...just a thought.

I would try out for a drum corps closer to home, but I would really like a challenge. As well as the highest number of years, untill i age out, in one corps. I heard from someone that there are fundraisers or other ways to work out financial stuff.

I would try out for a drum corps closer to home, but I would really like a challenge. As well as the highest number of years, untill i age out, in one corps. I heard from someone that there are fundraisers or other ways to work out financial stuff.

Have you ever marched?

Trust me. Nothing can prepare you for a full-on drum corps rehearsal. I was a bando once. :blink: (I know!) In my experience, marching band helps you understand maybe 10% going into a rehearsal or camp with a drum & bugle corps. Completely different. Be open to new things, man!

Whether DCA or DCI, experience the activity. Your score is bs in comparison. I remember being a ring-chaser, only to realize at the end how much of a dick i was. drum corps experience is drum corps experience. no marching band will ever match up.

also, try an open class corps. if your curious, id take a look at academy 06.

I have marched for four years in a very competitive marching band and i know it doesn't compare with DCI, but I was told by my director that if I didn't go into a top DCI corp that I might not get the full challenge and experience that i was looking for. He (and I) just want me to be able to push myself to my highest potential. Weather it be playing with constant and good tone quality while doing a jazz run down the field or playing a tricky run before an impact I want to be able to have the challenge put in front of me so that when i look back at my time in a corps that i can say to myself "I could not done anything else better, I did my best".

I will go to Crown this year and audition, but if i dont have enough money or dont make it, i dont think that a DCA corp is for me or even another DCI corp.

If you can't do Crown, seriously look into a DCA corps. The Reading Buccaneers operate more like a DCI corps these days so it may make a good transition for you and give you a year to build up some money.

I have marched for four years in a very competitive marching band and i know it doesn't compare with DCI, but I was told by my director that if I didn't go into a top DCI corp that I might not get the full challenge and experience that i was looking for. He (and I) just want me to be able to push myself to my highest potential. Weather it be playing with constant and good tone quality while doing a jazz run down the field or playing a tricky run before an impact I want to be able to have the challenge put in front of me so that when i look back at my time in a corps that i can say to myself "I could not done anything else better, I did my best".

I will go to Crown this year and audition, but if i dont have enough money or dont make it, i dont think that a DCA corp is for me or even another DCI corp.

With all due respect to your director, that's a big load. Pretty much every corps in its own way is going to push you to your limits. Find a corps that with a philosophy and style you like, and pursue them; don't just jump on a corps because of their placement or how many ridiculous physical demands they try to put on their members; pretty much any corps these days is going to have them.