How to get enough money for a drum corp?

dudebandnerd

Thanks for everyone help! I have figured out how I'm getting to the camps and everything is all set for me to audition for Crown's upcoming season. Money is still an issue but it has become less of an issue. I have created a fundraising /support/about me website, www.mattsfundraising.com , so I can let people know what I am up to and make it easy to donate. I will be using the money from the donations to pay for my plane flights to Crowns camps. I don't have the entire website up, but I will have it up within the next two weeks. Thanks.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crown is a great goal to aspire towards, but with the tour fees combined with travel expenses it's going to be impossible, and even if you find a way to do it the balance between corps and school will likely be thrown off in the process.

I'd recommend trying Open Class. I was in one and trust me it's quite a challenge even if the tour is shorter. Since you live in Poughkeepsie I'd recommend the Raiders, the corps I marched with. Their tour fees were about $1000 while I was there, so that would be perfect for you! While I was there they kept getting better and better every year, and from what I've been hearing this year isn't going to stop that streak. After a year there if your finances are in order you can audition for world class, I marched with a couple of people at Raiders that marched in Crown this past season and part of the reason why they were able to do that was because of their experience with the Raiders.

You should check it out if you're open to the idea. Go to raidersdbc.org or e-mail Tom Maiello, the director, at tom.maiello@raidersdbc.org

• 2 weeks later...
Yes I was in the AMB and I know the kids that are in brigs and they enjoy it. I dont know if I would as much. I also know your friend and have talked to him a little, but won't get to talk with him more until his season is over. He recommended that I do a DCA corp, but i decided not because of time and money(although it is less then crown). Thanks for the suggestion.
Not to be viewed as a personal attack, HOWEVER it sounds like someone wants to have their cake AND eat it too! Sometimes money does dictate the experiences one can buy, which is a valuable life lesson in itself.

:thumbup:

OK...reading this post actually made me dig u my old login information so I could post ( my last login was in 06).

man... you have some crazy misconceptions about the activity. I know right now you think that the only way for you to be challenged is to march in a top corps. I know that when people tell you to march local corps you probably roll your eyes and shrub it off, I mean your a good player and in college right? guess what, there is performance majors in just about every section in just about every drum corps. No matter were you march, your going to sweat and be miserable for most of the first half of the season. wearing cream or green or blue or red does not make the activity any harder/more gratifying. if your having a hard time paying now don't waste money on plane tickets and baggage fees. go somewere in driving range, carpool to get there, split gas money, something. my friends and I drive over ten hours to camps, it only cost me about $35 per trip last year. every year there are so many kids that only audition for their "favorite" corps, and when money becomes a problem, or they get cut. they just don't march. It really is such a waste. If you'd just be smart with your money you could march, and if the activity is for you, then you will have the time of your life. no matter were you march. I promise that after marching a season anywere,your veiws on the activity will change. including who you will want to march for.

that being said... get a job. you can't just expect handouts and donations to pay for EVERYTHING( camp fees, tour fees, cost of sleeping bags and cloths, food money for free days, insurance payments for the car while your gone, college fees, rent, you get the picture.) waiting tables is wonderful for quick cash, most places (around here) are overstaffed and don't need full time waiters anyways. applebees and chilli's both have very flexible schedules. retail is another option. beggers can't be choosers. sell your car for a few easy grand, and ride the bus. sell plasma for a hundred or two every month. check craigslist for weekend jobs, like helpng people move furnature, or mowing. sell your gaming consoles and games. EBAY. buy the tools and change your friends oil for like $30 (you'll need a few friends lined up to make this profitable). Give lessons. walk dogs, house sit, clean houses or small businesses, wash windows for storefront shops. there is truly no reason why you can't do this if you truly want to. be open, and willing to work hard. good luck!

sorry if I sounded harsh, nothing personal. just erks me that you think that the only challenge in drum corps right now is in crown or a top whatever corps.