How to get enough money for a drum corp?

dudebandnerd

Alright I will look into it, but my goal is still going to be Crown.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people have success asking their Family and Friends for sponsorship. Explain what you are trying to do and why you want to march with Crown so badly. If you can show them a clip of the corps performing, it might give them a better idea of what you are talking about. You might be surprised how much money you could put together just by asking.

Even busy college students can (and usually have to) find part-time work while at school. Most campus-area businesses are used to working around student schedules. Put any money you can earn away until you have enough to cover your corps fees. Lots of people wish they were in corps like Crown every year. Only 150 do what it takes to actually do it.

Edited by Mick Krackin'

Alright I will look into it, but my goal is still going to be Crown.

That's fine, but if you do march another corps, don't be the big crown fanboy. My band director had a big impact on me in high school. When I went to college for music, it turned out that he didn't know half of what he talked about. I have a big problem with high school band directors who treat drum corps like a track race. That is why I refuse to be one of them. My bd was an ########, looking back on it now. He did nothing but belittle the corps i was in, because it didnt meet his standards, only to realize that he never even marched corps.

Corps is about loyalty and dedication and brotherhood. Phantom has SUTA, Star of Indiana had their traditions, each corps unique and complex, but each dedicated to one philosophy: personal excellence.

Don't be a bus or ring chaser. Made that mistake myself. Just look at Phantom 07-08. I bet they have some ring chasers in that corps that are very ###### off.

Do it for you. Not your band director or a penny souvie medal or any other reason other than I kick ### in this uniform.

I realize that most high school band directors are like that, but at my school all of the band directors are have marched in a corp, written music for corps, and/or are judges. I know the backgrounds of most of my former directors fairly well and trust them and their opinions. It will take some time for me to see how things work out, but I will work it out.

And thanks for the help and information.

Some people have success asking their Family and Friends for sponsorship. Explain what you are trying to do and why you want to march with Crown so badly. If you can show them a clip of the corps performing, it might give them a better idea of what you are talking about. You might be surprised how much money you could put together just by asking.

Even busy college students can (and usually have to) find part-time work while at school. Most campus-area businesses are used to working around student schedules. Put any money you can earn away until you have enough to cover your corps fees. Lots of people wish they were in corps like Crown every year. Only 150 do what it takes to actually do it.

Do you mean like send a letter asking for money for the purpose of joining the drum corp? And maybe mail a dvd of a drum corp show, so that they could see what its all about? I think is a good idea I might just try that. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have marched for four years in a very competitive marching band and i know it doesn't compare with DCI, .....

I noticed that you're from Poughkeepsie; correct me if I'm wrong but I'm assuming you're talking about Arlington Marching Band. There are a bunch of kids from Arlington marching with the Brigadiers this year. A friend of mine from Arlington marched with us last season and is now marching with Crown this season. I'm not saying you have to march with the Brigs, or any other DCA corps for that matter, but I'm sure that the DCA experience helped my friend in his audition. Maybe think a little harder about looking into a DCA corps before jumping right into DCI. I marched with a marching band in the NYSFBC for four years also and I can say that drum corps has been a completely different beast for me (besides switching from saxophone to mellophone :huh: ). Plus, dues for DCA corps are generally lower than a DCI corps, giving you one more season to save up the money you need to march with Crown. Just my opinion, good luck with whatever you decide to do :blink:

I noticed that you're from Poughkeepsie; correct me if I'm wrong but I'm assuming you're talking about Arlington Marching Band. There are a bunch of kids from Arlington marching with the Brigadiers this year. A friend of mine from Arlington marched with us last season and is now marching with Crown this season. I'm not saying you have to march with the Brigs, or any other DCA corps for that matter, but I'm sure that the DCA experience helped my friend in his audition. Maybe think a little harder about looking into a DCA corps before jumping right into DCI. I marched with a marching band in the NYSFBC for four years also and I can say that drum corps has been a completely different beast for me (besides switching from saxophone to mellophone :tongue: ). Plus, dues for DCA corps are generally lower than a DCI corps, giving you one more season to save up the money you need to march with Crown. Just my opinion, good luck with whatever you decide to do :thumbup:

Yes I was in the AMB and I know the kids that are in brigs and they enjoy it. I dont know if I would as much. I also know your friend and have talked to him a little, but won't get to talk with him more until his season is over. He recommended that I do a DCA corp, but i decided not because of time and money(although it is less then crown). Thanks for the suggestion.

Hey everyone,

Well heres the deal, I am planning on auditioning for Carolina Crown in the up coming fall. The problem is I live in NY, am going to college (SUNY Plattsburgh), and have only about $1000 (all my graduation money). I am confident I have what it takes to be in the corp, but I am a little concerned about the financial part of it. I would rather not get into the corp because I am not good enough rather then not having enough money.

Its not like I haven't tried to find a job but because of my hectic school schedule I could only have a job during the summer but no one would hire for the just summer in my area. I do intend to get a job when i come back for the winter break, but that either is not going to be enough or I will not get a job because of the economy.

Any ideas, comments, suggestions, or anything would be very much appreciated. If anyone is an alum of Crown and has an ideo of how they handle the money issue that would be a great help. Thanks.

Money should not stand in the way of dreams and you cannot put a price on the experience you will have. Like trying to find the money for college, there is probably a way to make it work. Have you talked to anyone at Crown about helping plan the financial side? There are some great folks down there who can help and advise you.

Money should not stand in the way of dreams and you cannot put a price on the experience you will have. Like trying to find the money for college, there is probably a way to make it work. Have you talked to anyone at Crown about helping plan the financial side? There are some great folks down there who can help and advise you.

I have not yet talked to any at crown, but I do plan to when their session is over. I don't know what to say to them about the situation. Do you know specifically who I should contact?