How to get enough money for a drum corp?

dudebandnerd

Okay, let's figure this out...

Plattsburg to Albany (airport) is about a three hour drive. Need to arrive two hours before flight for security. I doubt you'll get a direct flight, so plan at least an hour layover somewhere. You will have to leave on Friday early a.m. in order to get there for a Friday night start. Coming back is probably worse.

I admire your ambition and desire, but I really doubt that you can make this work given your school choice.

Alright so yes plattsburgh to albany is a 3 hr drive given moderate driving conditions. So lets assume I leave at about 8am. therfore i should get to albany at approximately 11:00am. This would leave me an 1 hr and 45 min to get through security and get ready to leave. I looked up the times of when the flight leaves and this is what i found:

Airline: US Airways

Depart: Albany International Airport

Departure Time: 14:45, Friday 20 November 2009

Arrive: Charlotte

Arrival Time: 16:55, Friday 20 November 2009

Stops: Non-Stop

Travel Time: 2hrs 10mins

http://www.albanyairport.com/alb_schedules.php

This would get me to Charlette NC by 4:55. then crown will have transportation from there to camp.

I haven't figured out a way back but im working on it. let me know what you think so far.

I know its a stretch, but i have to do it some how. I have decided that I will not be able to do the upcoming season with crown, but i will still go to the first camp to get myself out there and to see where I stand marching and playing wise. I will work toward the next season and will look for another corp to join as well. and again let me know what you think. thanks.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright so yes plattsburgh to albany is a 3 hr drive given moderate driving conditions. So lets assume I leave at about 8am. therfore i should get to albany at approximately 11:00am. This would leave me an 1 hr and 45 min to get through security and get ready to leave. I looked up the times of when the flight leaves and this is what i found:

This would get me to Charlette NC by 4:55. then crown will have transportation from there to camp.

I haven't figured out a way back but im working on it. let me know what you think so far.

I know its a stretch, but i have to do it some how. I have decided that I will not be able to do the upcoming season with crown, but i will still go to the first camp to get myself out there and to see where I stand marching and playing wise. I will work toward the next season and will look for another corp to join as well. and again let me know what you think. thanks.

Okay so far. I'm guessing that you are sure Crown provides a bus from Charlotte. I think the bigger challenge is getting back. Camps are usually over at 4 or 5 on Sunday afternoon. Bus ride back to Charlotte and hope that there's a flight back to Albany - with possible connections - and arrive before 8 a.m. on Monday.

Go to the first audition if you must. That will be good experience - even if you crash and burn. But also get some info on a corps closer to home - either DCA or DCI based in NY or New England. A good DCI choice might be Surf (yeah, I know, NJ) as you can usually work out transportation that doesn't involve airplanes.

Edited by G-horns

Hey,

When the season is complete, and the staff has had at least a few weeks break, contact Matt Harloff about your situation. When I talked to him about arriving to camps, he said it wouldn't be an issue if I got there late on Friday nights for camp (obviously, I didn't continue with Crown after the first two camps due to financial issues). Yeah it's great if you can get there on time for the Friday camp to help set-up, but people fly in all across the country, especially from Florida. However, you might want to bank on the fact that you might not get home until late Monday morning. If you're forced to miss a day of school to attend each camp, I would consider Monday as your option, since like you said, flights from Charlotte up to your airport on a Friday night are going to be rough. The other option you have is to get there on time Friday afternoon, which means missing a complete day of school, but leaving early on Sunday. Some kids do this as well. Show-and-Tell (in the first two camps) starts at 1pm, so rehearsal usually wraps up around 12:45pm. You could either get out of rehearsal an hour early and miss show-and-tell (which isn't a big deal), or talk to the staff and see if you can skip the big clean-up (which is what extends the day camp to about 3, 4, or even 5pm). In exchange, you can just tell them that you'll get there well before camp starts (usually first meeting is at 6pm) and help unload all of the instruments and set them up ready to be checked out and other miscellaneous stuff they'll have you do, maybe set up the food trailer.

Like everyone is saying, yes, the easy option would be to seek out a local corps, but if you want Crown, then go for it. The best thing you can do in the mean time is as soon as they release audition packets and music, just practice practice practice, and impress the hell out of them. As long as you keep showing up to camps, 100% prepared, and big improvement between each camp, the staff will work around the minor issue of showing up late to camp or leaving early.

Lastly, getting money is rough. Like other suggestions before, give trumpet (I assume you play tpt) lessons to middle school kids, and if you're in college, give them to high school kids. Send out an e-mail and flyer to local middle/high schools in your area...charge a reasonable amount. Also, offer to give sectionals at the local schools...you can charge much less per student participating but hopefully have a lot of students in that sectional/master class, and the money adds up that way. Contact friends and family and ask for donations (this was also said before), give them info on what you're trying to do. Lastly, just get a steady part-time job...or if you're not getting enough hours, get two part time jobs. If you can't find one, keep looking. As a general rule, for every 10 applications you put in to places, only 1 of them is going to call you back for an interview.

Good luck! Sorry for the book, I hope this info helps.

Hey,

When the season is complete, and the staff has had at least a few weeks break, contact Matt Harloff about your situation. When I talked to him about arriving to camps, he said it wouldn't be an issue if I got there late on Friday nights for camp (obviously, I didn't continue with Crown after the first two camps due to financial issues). Yeah it's great if you can get there on time for the Friday camp to help set-up, but people fly in all across the country, especially from Florida. However, you might want to bank on the fact that you might not get home until late Monday morning. If you're forced to miss a day of school to attend each camp, I would consider Monday as your option, since like you said, flights from Charlotte up to your airport on a Friday night are going to be rough. The other option you have is to get there on time Friday afternoon, which means missing a complete day of school, but leaving early on Sunday. Some kids do this as well. Show-and-Tell (in the first two camps) starts at 1pm, so rehearsal usually wraps up around 12:45pm. You could either get out of rehearsal an hour early and miss show-and-tell (which isn't a big deal), or talk to the staff and see if you can skip the big clean-up (which is what extends the day camp to about 3, 4, or even 5pm). In exchange, you can just tell them that you'll get there well before camp starts (usually first meeting is at 6pm) and help unload all of the instruments and set them up ready to be checked out and other miscellaneous stuff they'll have you do, maybe set up the food trailer.

Like everyone is saying, yes, the easy option would be to seek out a local corps, but if you want Crown, then go for it. The best thing you can do in the mean time is as soon as they release audition packets and music, just practice practice practice, and impress the hell out of them. As long as you keep showing up to camps, 100% prepared, and big improvement between each camp, the staff will work around the minor issue of showing up late to camp or leaving early.

Lastly, getting money is rough. Like other suggestions before, give trumpet (I assume you play tpt) lessons to middle school kids, and if you're in college, give them to high school kids. Send out an e-mail and flyer to local middle/high schools in your area...charge a reasonable amount. Also, offer to give sectionals at the local schools...you can charge much less per student participating but hopefully have a lot of students in that sectional/master class, and the money adds up that way. Contact friends and family and ask for donations (this was also said before), give them info on what you're trying to do. Lastly, just get a steady part-time job...or if you're not getting enough hours, get two part time jobs. If you can't find one, keep looking. As a general rule, for every 10 applications you put in to places, only 1 of them is going to call you back for an interview.

Good luck! Sorry for the book, I hope this info helps.

Thanks for the info I will contact Matt after their season is over. I will be trying my best to get two jobs and using my trumpet skills to generate extra cash as much as possible. I agree with everything you said and thanks again for the response.

Thanks for the info I will contact Matt after their season is over. I will be trying my best to get two jobs and using my trumpet skills to generate extra cash as much as possible. I agree with everything you said and thanks again for the response.

No problem, let us know how it goes! Who knows, I might actually see you there, assuming I can get money together as well :)

I have not yet talked to any at crown, but I do plan to when their session is over. I don't know what to say to them about the situation. Do you know specifically who I should contact?

Yes. Contact me.

I see you are going to talk to Matt. That is great, he can advise you on your audition and such. You might want to wait until after BOA is over. I am guessing Matt will be busy full time with is Avon responsibilities. I have more of a financing/admin kind of guy there in mind who can advise on dollars and cents issues.

Edited by mchromik

Yes. Contact me.

I see you are going to talk to Matt. That is great, he can advise you on your audition and such. You might want to wait until after BOA is over. I am guessing Matt will be busy full time with is Avon responsibilities. I have more of a financing/admin kind of guy there in mind who can advise on dollars and cents issues.

how would that be...?

Click the member's name you want to contact, scroll down to 'send message', type message, send.

So easy, even a cave man can do it!

Edited by mchromik

I just sent you a message.