11th and 12th Place DCA Recordings

Checked some '70s recordings recently and started thinking about this. Asked this before but maybe get more info this time (and I might save what was found :mad: ).

For those of us old enough, we remember 12 corps being put on the DCA records (yeah, them big flat things). Problem is for many years only 10 corps made Finals and the 11th and 12th place corps were put on the albums "somehow". Trying to fill in the "somehow" before we all get too old.

1970 - IIRC Pittsburg Rockets recording is from another show. Prelims were a "no concert" year and just listened to Westshoremen-Bonnie Scots and they had the concert number so fromsomewhere else too. (And apologies to Ken M if he told me the whole story earlier).

1974 - last 12 corps Finals (guess Finals corps scoring 40 something killed that :thumbup: )

1976 - Guelph and Westshore trotted out for standstill recording just before the gates open for Finals.

1985 - Guelph and Westshore (those two again :drool: ) did exhibitions before Finals.

Note: Much as I like corpsreps, there is a bug in their program (I'm a computer programmer). Every year shows twelve corps with scores even if only 10 corps in Finals. In those cases, Prelims scores are listed for 11/12. (Trying to head off anyone before they say DCA had 12 corps Finals when they didn't.)

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Wow, what a long time ago, but I am pretty sure we went out shortly after prelims and stood and played the book for 1970 just like we did for 1969. 1971 we didn't make cut if my memory is correct. I could be wrong, but who knows. :thumbup: If I still had a turntable I would get my recordings out and jog my memory better.

Wow, what a long time ago, but I am pretty sure we went out shortly after prelims and stood and played the book for 1970 just like we did for 1969. 1971 we didn't make cut if my memory is correct. I could be wrong, but who knows. :thumbup: If I still had a turntable I would get my recordings out and jog my memory better.

Thanks Craig, I'll have to listen again to tell if I can hear the difference. Jeez, just checked corpsreps and 1969 it was Guelph and Westshore again. :drool: No wonder I always liked that corps. And yes, 1971 the corps missed the recording but think I have that year on CD from somewhere.

PS - No one has even found a recording for 1972 or even remember the book for that year.

i'd love a copy of 71, and i havent found 72 either. Jim we should compare notes...i have a tape of 84 prelims, but i need to figure out how to get it on cd

i'd love a copy of 71, and i havent found 72 either. Jim we should compare notes...i have a tape of 84 prelims, but i need to figure out how to get it on cd

Just bought a vinyl/cassette to CD burner but haven't played with it yet. Will double check on '71, have so much crap floating around I'm not totally sure what I have. (Making a list is another "to do" item.)

Thanks Craig, I'll have to listen again to tell if I can hear the difference. Jeez, just checked corpsreps and 1969 it was Guelph and Westshore again. :drool: No wonder I always liked that corps. And yes, 1971 the corps missed the recording but think I have that year on CD from somewhere.

PS - No one has even found a recording for 1972 or even remember the book for that year.

In 1969 I think Rockets passed us and Guelph for 10 and 1970 I think it was Boys of 76 that passed us by for 10. Could never figure out why we beat Guelph and Rockets at RCA but got really low DCA scores against same corps the next week :thumbup:

In 1969 I think Rockets passed us and Guelph for 10 and 1970 I think it was Boys of 76 that passed us by for 10. Could never figure out why we beat Guelph and Rockets at RCA but got really low DCA scores against same corps the next week :thumbup:

different scoring criteria is what i always heard. you'll notice RCA sores were always higher than the DCA scores for those corps

different scoring criteria is what i always heard. you'll notice RCA sores were always higher than the DCA scores for those corps
I suppose the tick system could be different from RCA to DCA but I always wondered how many more ticks(mistakes) a DCA judge found than an RCA judge. You know, just sayin :thumbup:

To quote Barney Toomey... or maybe Rich Templin... or maybe Larry hisself...

"It's a DCA show this weekend. Execute #### it EXECUTE!!!".

To quote Barney Toomey... or maybe Rich Templin... or maybe Larry hisself...

"It's a DCA show this weekend. Execute #### it EXECUTE!!!".

Oh My Gosh....That is a memory!!!.........just to add you should have heard Skip Groff talk about horn line sheets from RCA after the shows(at the party) He sure was colorful..... :thumbup: