BDB/SCVC

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't surprise me that they're doing so well. They have the advantage of being part of a much larger organizational network and the large recruiting numbers that go with it, something that no other Open class corps can match. This alone should be enough to make Open class these 2 corps' own personal sandbox for years to come until another group can step up and put 50-60 brass on the field on a consistent basis.

It doesn't surprise me that they're doing so well. They have the advantage of being part of a much larger organizational network and the large recruiting numbers that go with it, something that no other Open class corps can match. This alone should be enough to make Open class these 2 corps' own personal sandbox for years to come until another group can step up and put 50-60 brass on the field on a consistent basis.

Hopefully, assuming that the Citations can medal this year, this will allow them to take the place once held by the Spartans, and fill in part of the Open Class void in New England. I'm rooting for 7th regiment as well, as having two Corps up here that are strong in Open Class can only be good for the activity in the area.

Not to mention the fact that they can still use Bingos to fund their operations. Texas operations cannot.

This is an unfair statement and one I felt needed response. I have been a B Corps parent for many years and my husband and I are both alumni of the Blue Devil A Corps. The B Corps (like the majority of ALL corps out in Drum Corps land) has to fight every year for funds and support. The A corps is the organization's primary focus (as it should be) and there have been MANY years where there have been less than 30 members total for the B Corps. I have read many posts on DCP and other forums that somehow the B Corps kids, by virtue of being under the Blue Devil umbrella, somehow don't deserve to win because, well they are the Blue Devils and have had everything handed to them. The only reason why the BDB kids have a corps is because the director of the B corps, Rick Odello and his wife Debbie have given their heart and soul to these kids so that LOCALS who wanted to be part of the organization would have a chance to march. He saw the value of having home town support and gave these kids a chance to take the field when there would be no hope for most of them to EVER make the A Corps. While we love our A corps kids, I believe that the Open class corps are more true to what Drum Corps used to be, a group of kids who through sheer sweat and determination (and a bit of talent) could excel and be entertaining doing something they love. There has to be a place for tenacity and guts to go along with natural talent and gifts from God. There has to be a place for the "average" kid to go and become a part of something bigger than himself. In the world of top 12, the best of the best of the best are chosen to take the field. Please don't lump BDB in with the A Corps, The B Corps was yet to win a title even in the "sandbox" they have been relegated.

Well said Debra...and also the "50-60 brass" is a little bit misleading. I've seen BDB and SCVC with substantially smaller hornlines than that, and they've done well regardless. I don't think the prerequisite to being "good" is based on hornline numbers. Academie Musicale proved that wrong years ago.

Debra,

Well spoken! I have had 2 kids in B and one in C. Rick and Debbie deserve lots of credit, and so do the volunteers that canvass the schools for new talent, and provide so much of the support needed. Still not cheap for any of us, but definitely worth it. Agree with the B corp comment at the end as well. B's highest final was last year with the heartbreaking 2nd.

Also, calling a feud between SCVC and BDB is a bit much. Sure, there is some competition between the corps, seems a lot more among the fans. But, I do happen to know that several of the both corps are good friends, and are happy for the others success.

Final comment: Best of luck to both corps! and also to every other competitor.

MLW

This is an unfair statement and one I felt needed response. I have been a B Corps parent for many years and my husband and I are both alumni of the Blue Devil A Corps. The B Corps (like the majority of ALL corps out in Drum Corps land) has to fight every year for funds and support. The A corps is the organization's primary focus (as it should be) and there have been MANY years where there have been less than 30 members total for the B Corps. I have read many posts on DCP and other forums that somehow the B Corps kids, by virtue of being under the Blue Devil umbrella, somehow don't deserve to win because, well they are the Blue Devils and have had everything handed to them. The only reason why the BDB kids have a corps is because the director of the B corps, Rick Odello and his wife Debbie have given their heart and soul to these kids so that LOCALS who wanted to be part of the organization would have a chance to march. He saw the value of having home town support and gave these kids a chance to take the field when there would be no hope for most of them to EVER make the A Corps. While we love our A corps kids, I believe that the Open class corps are more true to what Drum Corps used to be, a group of kids who through sheer sweat and determination (and a bit of talent) could excel and be entertaining doing something they love. There has to be a place for tenacity and guts to go along with natural talent and gifts from God. There has to be a place for the "average" kid to go and become a part of something bigger than himself. In the world of top 12, the best of the best of the best are chosen to take the field. Please don't lump BDB in with the A Corps, The B Corps was yet to win a title even in the "sandbox" they have been relegated.

Debra,

Well spoken! I have had 2 kids in B and one in C. Rick and Debbie deserve lots of credit, and so do the volunteers that canvass the schools for new talent, and provide so much of the support needed. Still not cheap for any of us, but definitely worth it. Agree with the B corp comment at the end as well. B's highest final was last year with the heartbreaking 2nd.

Also, calling a feud between SCVC and BDB is a bit much. Sure, there is some competition between the corps, seems a lot more among the fans. But, I do happen to know that several of the both corps are good friends, and are happy for the others success.

Final comment: Best of luck to both corps! and also to every other competitor.

MLW

Do these organizations benefit from their relationships to the WC corps? Yes. Does it guarantee victory, or even a second-place finish? No. The performers still have to go out on the field, and earn it. The finances and support organization simply give you a shot at a title. That's it.

Having a huge support organization beyond you helps. There's no logical person who would deny it. You do get excellent instruments, equipment, instruction - the works.

But it doesn't matter how much money you have in the bank, if your members don't march or play well. The judges won't give you a title, just because your bank account balance has the most zeros behind it. Trust me, they don't care.

It is ironic that finals are being held in Indiana this week - and we are having this discussion. In 1985, Bill Cook financed an organization, Star of Indiana, that rocketed to the top of the drum corps world. In 6 years, they went from nothing to DCI World Champion, thanks to his generous financial support. The man is worth $5 billion dollars, after all. But he didn't just put a DCI title on his American Express Platinum Card. The 128 members of his corps still had to go out and outperform Cavaliers for that title in 1991.

Do these organizations benefit from their relationships to the WC corps?

Having a huge support organization beyond you helps. There's no logical person who would deny it. You do get excellent instruments, equipment, instruction - the works.

The support organization you speak of is largely made up of B and C corps parents. Since most of the A Corps members are imports, who do you think runs the shows, the fund raising?? Its the local volunteers and the local parents. Our equipment is far from excellent but on par with other top 25 corps and there are many things that we need/want that we can't get. Our instructors are mostly A Corps age outs, who are great kids and work hard, but no one will deny that there is a definate learning curve (and difference) between a seasoned instuctor and someone transitioning between performance and instruction. I am not saying, "Oh poor BDB" what I am saying is that this attitude of BDB being some favored darling child of the open class by virtue of its association with its World Class sibling is not fair to the kids.

While I do not fault anyone for their opinion, I felt as the mother of a child in BDB, as the wife of a board member of the Blue Devils and as an alumnus of the 86 World Champion Corps, I was a little more qualified to comment on what I perceived as a misperception of a fellow DCP member

This message has been heavily edited by my husband but I pushed the "post" button before he got to the last draft........ snicker