Chances of making top 10 World Class Corps

Hi,

I really want to try out for one of the top 10 drum corps, and I wanted to know what anyone thought of my chances for making it. The only marching experience I have is four years of high school marching band. I am a music performance major (possible music ed double major), and I feel I have the playing aspect down solidly (not trying to be arrogant, just realistic, so please don't take it that way). However, my marching experience is that of a high school bando's. I only have 3 years left to march before I age out, and I really want to perform with a top 10 drum corps. Does anyone have any suggestions on who I should audition for? I know Carolina Crown used to be a little more open to who they accept because they'd get holes around spring training. However, I've heard that now that they're with the big dogs, any openings are very skimpy.

What about Boston Crusaders or Glassmen or even Bluecoats <<they have a niiiice low brass sound, so I'm definitely partial towards them. Would trying to audition for the top 5 corps be a waste of my time?

Also, to trombone players out there, do you recommend marching Baritone or Euphonium. I'm open to either, though I'm skeptical as to whether or not my arms can handle a Euph.

Thank you in advance for your help and advice!!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just go to ANY corps auditions!!! Biggest mistake you will make is not going to any auditions and not learning anything first hand.

PS. And I would stick with the Baritone...

Edited by wilme861

Baritone will hurt you less, but Euph is cool, I would also agree and say to audition wherever you'd like to be most, you never know what might happen or what the needs of any given section in any given drum corps may be. Just go and experience it first hand, and if you do get turned down at one place, fire up communication with another. Best of luck to you. :smile:

I really want to try out for one of the top 10 drum corps, and I wanted to know what anyone thought of my chances for making it.

Go for it! If you've got the playing chops, you can probably make it in anywhere you want. The lack of DCI level marching experience is probably no a big deal. You've got 4 years of high school marching and as long as you're not a complete timing incompetent clutz, they'll beat the marching into you anyway. :thumbdown:

Actually the biggest factor is going to be dedication and work ethic. Assuming you've got the playing chops aspect covered (which you sound fairly confident that you do), if you make it to all the camps and show up prepared, knowing what they've told you to know, and practiced what they've told you to practice, you're pretty much as good as in.

I'm skeptical as to whether or not my arms can handle a Euph.

No one's arms can handle the Euph in the beginning. Like I said - they'll beat that into you. :smile:

Hi,

I really want to try out for one of the top 10 drum corps, and I wanted to know what anyone thought of my chances for making it. The only marching experience I have is four years of high school marching band. I am a music performance major (possible music ed double major), and I feel I have the playing aspect down solidly (not trying to be arrogant, just realistic, so please don't take it that way). However, my marching experience is that of a high school bando's. I only have 3 years left to march before I age out, and I really want to perform with a top 10 drum corps. Does anyone have any suggestions on who I should audition for? I know Carolina Crown used to be a little more open to who they accept because they'd get holes around spring training. However, I've heard that now that they're with the big dogs, any openings are very skimpy.

What about Boston Crusaders or Glassmen or even Bluecoats <<they have a niiiice low brass sound, so I'm definitely partial towards them. Would trying to audition for the top 5 corps be a waste of my time?

Also, to trombone players out there, do you recommend marching Baritone or Euphonium. I'm open to either, though I'm skeptical as to whether or not my arms can handle a Euph.

Thank you in advance for your help and advice!!

I will tell you right now, it's not as difficult to make a corps as people make it out to be. It also helps that you are a music major so I wouldn't worry about the playing. My philosophy is that you can always get better at marching... and they will work on that with you.

Go to a camp, learn the technique, and then refine it from there marching wise. If you really want to audition at crown... go for it. Don't let the top 5 corps be a deterrent... more like something to motivate you to work harder. A lot of people cut themselves before they actually audition which is a shame.

I'm not the bulkiest guy out there but I loved marching Euph. No ones arms are up to it from the get go you just learn to deal with it over time not to mention it's more apparent when not on the move i.e. horn arc.

If you hold your horn up while watching TV between camps w/ ankle weights or shoes around the bell, you'll be fine.

If you're already playing enough, you should also hit the gym. The best marcher in a hornline is never out of shape.

If you can play all articulations, scales/scales studies at the audition with good tone it will automatically put you in the top 80% of auditioning rookies at even the top drum corps auditions.

...i'm just sayin.... it ain't that hard if you stick around and actually have the time a dough to do it and prepare for the audition... you'll probably make it wherever.

Edited by baristeve