DCI finals review

Thanks for the reviews - I almost felt like I was there.

I agree with all your opinions - bring it on Borgs!

IMHO anyone of the top 5 corps could have won , what I have a problem with is so many perfect caption scores. The winning program was very good , but not one of the all time greats ( IMHO ). The margin of victory is what I disagree with.

I should have seen it coming ( Thurs night at Cinema ) when the gaga announcer trio fell all over themselves with love for tables and chairs ( aargh )! Then it got worse as they tried to paint drumcorps as an indoor activity , with music written for what sounded like a sound deafening chamber ( get rid of the stupid midfield visual wrecking helmet please )!

Someone had a post does WGI influence DCI - I think that has been answered in full - even worse than the perfect scores given ( IMHO ) was the Vince McMahon style smackdown put on Phantom Regiment by the otherwise gaga adjudicary visual folks - that will teach PR for not fielding a WGI unit in 2009!

Once again my favorite song of the year came from The Colts - "Ebb Tide".

Favorite visual the frenetic marchers The Cadets.

Favorite music Santa Clara Vanguard

Best Guard The Blue Devils

Best DM Blue Stars

Still a good year IMHO - congrats to Concord. :rock:

Did any other theaters beside Rockaway , NJ seem to have better volume after intermission - or was it just a case of someone getting to the theater manager for more Loud?

best all around show BOSTON

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I guess all we can hope for now is that BD pulls a "Phantom" and drops to like 7th next year. Sort of a 'mea culpa' from the judging community for this year's outrageously inflated scores.

Otherwise, copycat corps will start dumbing down their shows and finals will end up as one, big snooze buffet with a helping of yawn sauce.

All I can say is... VERY well-fitting guard uniforms! EXTREMELY well-fitting! Was the rest of the corps even out there? It was hard to notice.

Actually, Boston has a very controversial show this year, because of the guard. Their theme is "Seduction" and that's exactly what the guard tries to do to the audience, and the rest of the corps. This was NOT your typical east coast guard! No skirts down below their knees. Hell… no skirts AT ALL! Lots of dancing and that's kind of distracting from the rest of the corps. But, it's still the BIG, clean horn show you'd expect from Boston ... if you can get past the guard to notice.

Dirty old man....when does the Blue Ray DVD come out again....

:rock: 100% agree with your review and your take on placements. Overall, I dont know what message the judging community is sending but it is not one that I want the 2nd place and below corps to listen to........really, really dont.

And your comment about BD's color guard being great. Yes, they are clean. But being surrounded by my friends who marched and taught color guard for many years in DCI and WGI, including myself, their demand was similarly low compared to the other top corps. I was left as I was with the corp.....just wanting more.......

And before someone else "flames on" about all the BD comments from the peanut gallery at DCP, I would ask when else in history have you heard these arguments when BD won. Some people may not have particularly cared for them, but always respected what they were doing. This year is different and was evidence by the booing at the score, which I did participate in BTW. I really HOPE that BD comes out next year and rips our faces off and tears down the house like these used to. Really do. I also hope that all other corps stays true to this years programming......so great all the way down the line. Congrats to everyone!

Oh, and I'm sure you would have felt completely OK if you were in BD's shoes and were booed at finals. If you're upset with the scores and decide to boo, aim them at the box where the guys in the green shirts are and make sure the members can't hear it.

I am biased, that is why I never comment on other corps or give reviews because I obviously think that the way BD approaches the marching arts is the best. But I WILL defend the Blue Devils when it is obvious they are being bashed. Fine, you and the majority of DCP didn't like the show and I won't get upset over that. However, when someone says that BD's score (which was attained by a full Summer's hard work) is laughable, expect a response.

General comment: Unless you're walking up to complete strangers to ask their opinion, don't tell me that everyone around you hated their show.

Oh, and I'm sure you would have felt completely OK if you were in BD's shoes and were booed at finals. If you're upset with the scores and decide to boo, aim them at the box where the guys in the green shirts are and make sure the members can't hear it.

I am biased, that is why I never comment on other corps or give reviews because I obviously think that the way BD approaches the marching arts is the best. But I WILL defend the Blue Devils when it is obvious they are being bashed. Fine, you and the majority of DCP didn't like the show and I won't get upset over that. However, when someone says that BD's score (which was attained by a full Summer's hard work) is laughable, expect a response.

General comment: Unless you're walking up to complete strangers to ask their opinion, don't tell me that everyone around you hated their show.

IMO...any 99 is laughable

IMO...any 99 is laughable

Oh come on, you know scores are relative.

Oh come on, you know scores are relative.

half of each sheet is performance. so i can see 10's in book, but never in performance

half of each sheet is performance. so i can see 10's in book, but never in performance

Maybe so, but it's number management for the judges and I think you know that. It is spread and placement that is in question, not how high the overall score is.

Maybe so, but it's number management for the judges and I think you know that. It is spread and placement that is in question, not how high the overall score is.

lack of numbers management you mean. thats what gets them in the jams

Well, I guess all we can hope for now is that BD pulls a "Phantom" and drops to like 7th next year. Sort of a 'mea culpa' from the judging community for this year's outrageously inflated scores.

We? how many people are in your head? Tell your little voices to stop texting you.

So in your opinion its the judges' fault PR brought a show that did not connect with anyone to begin the season and frantically threw changes in, to the performer's credt, they performend the heck out of it at finals, I'm sure their staff will be much better prepared next year.

So all the corps had inflated scores, wow, an all around hater.

My hope is for everyone with opinions like yours to take your life savings to Vegas and place that bet that this will be the year the BD places less than 5th overall. FYI, you would have lost that bet for 25+ years now.

1 Delta 10 Tango

Again, congrats to all the Corps this year for all the very entertaining shows!