Lucas Oil Stadium Roof

I'm calling total BS until I see a source of that information.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...we are talking about a very state of the art mechanism that is operated from a single control panel, and IIRC, actually generates energy as it is opened and closed (that claim is online somewhere). opens/closes in around 10 minutes - not much labor costs there, even at the required union rates. So the claim of a six figure pricetag seems way out of line.

I'm pretty sure that the roof would be controlled electronically. In other words, you'd need one guy pushing a couple of buttons on his keyboard to make it all work.

Can probably do it wirelessly through his IPhone. (There's an app for that.)

Edited by BOBSMYTH

I'm pretty sure that the roof would be controlled electronically. In other words, you'd need one guy pushing a couple of buttons on his keyboard to make it all work.

Can probably do it wirelessly through his IPhone. (There's an app for that.)

I bet Chuck Norris could do it with his bare hands... :doh:

I am a facility director with a $17 million dollar energy budget and I really don't have any specifics on LOC. Based upon what I do know, I'd imagine that the real cost here is not what is required to open or close the roof, but rather the cost to re-cool the building once the roof is closed again. From what I could tell, the roof stays closed the majority of the time and is probably opened on game days when the weather is nice. A 6-figure price tag seems pretty high to me, but I would certainly expect it to easily be well into a 5-figure amount. Again, I don't know for sure, just speculating.

Joe

Weird that this topic was started now of all times. I was sitting down for dinner with a friend about the same time the original post was authored, and one of the topics that came up was the closed roof for DCI. She told me that there was a fee for opening the roof as well, though she gave me a five-figure number. I trust my friend implicitly, but since DCP doesn't know her I'll add that she works for an organization much maligned on DCP that also holds prominent championships in Lucas Oil Stadium.

Let's think about this; verified public reports indicate that the stadium didn't get a drainage system because it would have added $500,000 to the cost of that stadium. That was enough to get an otherwise pretty basic element of any indoor/outdoor facility axed from the budget.

But here we have someone claiming that after deciding NOT to spend $500k on a drainage system, that Indy's stadium authority signed off on a roof design that would cost them a 5th of that amount every time the moonroof is opened or shut.

Does that really make sense to anyone?

The expense to DCI in opening or closing the roof would be in taking down the curtain. LOS is a union facility, so let's say that's a call for 20 drapers and a couple crane operators plus their assistants to strike it and store the backdrop plus the seat covering Minimum 8 hour call for each guy, so you've got 160 hours at an average of $60 an hour, which comes in at a little under $10,000 (and those are high estimates, even for union drapers and crane ops). No doubt the local unions require 5 guys to be onsite everytime the button's pushed to open the roof, so add a thousand more to be safe.

Still not a minor expense, and one that DCI perhaps didn't think was worth it on the off-chance that they DID get a big storm last week, but not exactly the major scenario originally outlined by the OP.

Edited by mobrien

Let's think about this; verified public reports indicate that the stadium didn't get a drainage system because it would have added $500,000 to the cost of that stadium. That was enough to get an otherwise pretty basic element of any indoor/outdoor facility axed from the budget.

But here we have someone claiming that after deciding NOT to spend $500k on a drainage system, that Indy's stadium authority signed off on a roof design that would cost them a 5th of that amount every time the moonroof is opened or shut.

Does that really make sense to anyone?

The expense to DCI in opening or closing the roof would be in taking down the curtain. LOS is a union facility, so let's say that's a call for 20 drapers and a couple crane operators plus their assistants to strike it and store the backdrop plus the seat covering Minimum 8 hour call for each guy, so you've got 160 hours at an average of $60 an hour, which comes in at a little under $10,000 (and those are high estimates, even for union drapers and crane ops). No doubt the local unions require 5 guys to be onsite everytime the button's pushed to open the roof, so add a thousand more to be safe.

Still not a minor expense, and one that DCI perhaps didn't think was worth it on the off-chance that they DID get a big storm last week, but not exactly the major scenario originally outlined by the OP.

Thank you for the math and the logic. That makes more sense. I would've guessed that the real cost would be $5,000 - $10,000 assuming that it likely was more complicated then just making the roof mechanism work. Your numbers are consistent with that.

Hey, the OP didn't say how many of the six figures were behind the decimal point. :doh:

The OP didn't say whether his figure was for one night or all three, either. The number I was given for each opening was five figures, but multiplied over three nights would become six figures.

LOS is a union facility, so let's say that's a call for 20 drapers and a couple crane operators plus their assistants to strike it and store the backdrop plus the seat covering Minimum 8 hour call for each guy, so you've got 160 hours at an average of $60 an hour, which comes in at a little under $10,000 (and those are high estimates, even for union drapers and crane ops). No doubt the local unions require 5 guys to be onsite everytime the button's pushed to open the roof, so add a thousand more to be safe.

Reminds me of the band shows I worked at Giants Stadium....where the stadium employees with me in the press box were getting paid double time to come in and 1) turn the power on for the PA system and 2) turn the stadium lights on when needed. LOL

Fran