Mello Mouthpieces

Latrobe's Finest

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Renegades use a variety. I used to have them all on Kanstuls, but I have a very independent group this year.

I am playing on a Hammond 6MPh (Bluecoats) and like it a lot.

Renegades use a variety. I used to have them all on Kanstuls, but I have a very independent group this year.

How does that work with trying to get a unified sound, tho? I remember the 84 BD soprano line had three choices...all Claude Gordons (forget the sizes)..we were able to pick the size that suited us best, but there was still the BASIC design similarity for a more unified sound.

It works because the players are of a quality level that they can make it happen.

I've been using a DEG 6v for several years. Are corps still using that mouthpiece?

I used a 6v for a few years until I switched to a Curry 7TF last year in January. I recently bought a Schilke 11 for my trumpet because I was too lazy to keep getting my Curry from my mellophone case. I absolutely love the Schilke, but would play on the 6v at any time. It has a very good and consistant sound for me. I just wanted to find out if I could get a little more range out of a mouthpiece without sacrificing my lower range.

I've been using a DEG 6v for several years. Are corps still using that mouthpiece?

I think anyone who wants to get that intended Mellophone sound/timbre whatever... and still have range without sounding "Soprano-ee" is. I know I still prefer my 6v above all else. Just sayin.....

I find that I don't really agree with this . . .anymore.

Until just a handful of years ago, that was it.

Minnesota Brass switched to the Hammond a couple years ago, and the tone quality is gorgeous; better(darker, richer, smoother, pick your advjective) than we were getting with 6Vs. Easier/smoother control of articulation too. Love the Hammond.

I find that I don't really agree with this . . .anymore.

Until just a handful of years ago, that was it.

Minnesota Brass switched to the Hammond a couple years ago, and the tone quality is gorgeous; better(darker, richer, smoother, pick your advjective) than we were getting with 6Vs. Easier/smoother control of articulation too. Love the Hammond.

Quick question..........just for information and not nit-picking but, does it make a difference if the Mello is in "F" or "G"? I play a Kanstul G Mello so I really have no expertice on others. Curious....