Mello Mouthpieces

Latrobe's Finest

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I might catch some heat for this but I use a Schilke 6a4a. Started to use Schilke when I played trumpet in high school. Started on a 13a4a that was my older brother's then got a 14a4 and then the 6a4a when right before switching to mello. Like the endurance never had any issues with getting low on it or getting a good tone.

But I do have a question and very happy I found this thread. Lately I have been wanting to get a new piece with a darker tone to it. But I am worried about losing the range I get with my 6 and for some reason schilke is the only piece I can play on with out it killing my lips quick. I used Bach till I switch to the Schilke 13a4a and noticed with in 3 days I could play longer with a better tone. Is there any pieces out there that will allow me the dark tone with out losing the range or endurance? I think my 6 has the schilke #4 rim on it. so if i can find something with that or something close to it. maybe even with a little more cushion. Any suggestions?

Range (or tesatura) is a function of inner rim width (small == high / large == low). Tone is a function of cup depth (shallow == bright / deep == dark). Not quite true, but as a generalization it works most times. You're probably looking for something with roughly the same inner rim width as your 6a4a and with a deeper cup (or just have your 6a4a modified). It's why I tend to favor the Kanstul M6, tiny inner rim in combination with a generous cup. Lets you play high and low, regardless of what shape you might be in on a particular day.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I must admit, this is an interesting thread. Thank all of you for an enjoyable read

I didn't realize just how out of touch I have become as an "older" band director (not just on mouthpieces but so many things)

6a4a on a mellophone OMG!!!!

Don