What issues have caused controversy in drumlines?

wbargeron

Tommy: After I had left Hawthorne, they did something with lights inside bass drums, in the mid-to-late 1970's. Similar idea: lights triggered by the impact of the mallets on the heads. Some of the guys in our Alumni corps were in then. I'll ask more about it this weekend.

Pearlsnaredrummer -- No apologies necessary -- We're talknmg estimates here, but I'd venture a guess the weights might be even more than we're talking about if we ever got a chance to weigh them. My last year in the Cabs (1973) we had 12" X 15" TDR's in black, silver and red. Very nice drums, but very heavy! Our first Alumni corps drums were Pearl 12" X 14" free-floaters. Possibly one of the heaviest drums I ever wore! We got rid of them after a little more that a year, partly due to weight, and more to do with the sound. Just not what we wanted, even with Mylar heads.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tommy: After I had left Hawthorne, they did something with lights inside bass drums, in the mid-to-late 1970's. Similar idea: lights triggered by the impact of the mallets on the heads. Some of the guys in our Alumni corps were in then. I'll ask more about it this weekend.

Pearlsnaredrummer -- No apologies necessary -- We're talknmg estimates here, but I'd venture a guess the weights might be even more than we're talking about if we ever got a chance to weigh them. My last year in the Cabs (1973) we had 12" X 15" TDR's in black, silver and red. Very nice drums, but very heavy! Our first Alumni corps drums were Pearl 12" X 14" free-floaters. Possibly one of the heaviest drums I ever wore! We got rid of them after a little more that a year, partly due to weight, and more to do with the sound. Just not what we wanted, even with Mylar heads.

Yeah, I think there are so many variations that it's hard to say about actual weights without considering all of the factors. For instance, when I was playing the 15 inch TDR, since we were a matched grip line, we used the xl harnesses. In the 80s, the xls held the drum in very close to the body, and I would suspect the weight was better distributed than the j-hook type of carrier. It would seem to be less of a pull on the lower back than the j-hook. While that set-up was popular (probably b/c you could use it with the old strap holder bars, so no hardware adjustment was really needed) in the 80s, it wasn't universal at the time. Another thing, I thought of is that for awhile in the 70s, some corps were using plastic see through kind of drums. A drum and baton corps that I taught had those drums, ten luggers, 14 inches, they had to weigh about six pounds-or less. Not sure who in DCI or DCA used the see through drums, but I seem to recall that someone did (it was a little before my time).

Those 'see-through' drums were Ludwig Vistalites. The 27th Lancers had them in the clear model, the Muchachos had the red, and the Schaumburg Guardsmen had the Amber color. I know they were also available in light blue (a local standstill/parade corps had them) and green. I don't know of any other DCI or DCA corps who may have used them.

Those 'see-through' drums were Ludwig Vistalites. The 27th Lancers had them in the clear model, the Muchachos had the red, and the Schaumburg Guardsmen had the Amber color. I know they were also available in light blue (a local standstill/parade corps had them) and green. I don't know of any other DCI or DCA corps who may have used them.

There was a connection between the Guardsmen and the Kilties back in the 70's with members going back and forth--Kilts had amber Vistalights as late as '75, I wonder if those were the sames drums.

I don't know if they were the same drums or not, but I do know that the Guardsmen had them in the 1976 VFW Nationals here in NYC, the first time I saw them in person. That's around the same time they were becoming known for that now-famous KFC commercial.

I don't know if they were the same drums or not, but I do know that the Guardsmen had them in the 1976 VFW Nationals here in NYC, the first time I saw them in person. That's around the same time they were becoming known for that now-famous KFC commercial.

Wow, I had completely forgot the word "vistalite." As I recall, they didn't sound so hot, although I'm sure the drum and baton corps I taught didn't have the best available, lol. But they were really light weight.