What issues have caused controversy in drumlines?

wbargeron

I will follow you into battle!

Kevlar blows. And for those who disagree, kevlar still blows. Sounding like a table top is being nice. Formica kitchen top is more like it. Sure it's more exposed. So's a hand grenade but do you really want to hear one?

For years folks have been trying to get their snares to sound better and better. Tightening heads, using baffling to loose that "ringing" sound that distracted from the snare sound, different guts, snares, etc. Most drum books today sound like a Tommy gun, not music. Tenors sound like timbales, (cool for the Cabs) bass drums sound like muffled tenors without tone and have lost their bottom to the point where corps have to wheel out the big bass in the pit. Remember when SCV's bass drums would fill a whole stadium by themselves?? Or Cavaliers? Bass drums used to say WHOMP, not bimp. It seems drums are tuned so high that nothing seems to be below A440. Heck A880!!

I'm not hatin' on drummers--I've been part of that brotherhood for 40 years--my beef is with the manufacturers. Seems like we've been sold a bill of goods. It's to the point where a couple of ex-Blue Star pals of mine have designed a new snare drum (with the help of some serious engineers) that is light years ahead of what Yamaha or Dynasty want you to think. It sounds like a drum again--without the ring. (More on this soon, couple of manufacturers jockeying for rights) And can handle the pressure. And you can hear the drum (not just the head). The snares themselves sound delicious too. We just want drums to sound like drums again. And it doesn't mean going back to the Krupa days, it means moving past the crap we're dealing with now.

Yeah yeah yeah.

We get it.

And CD's sound better than Ipods.

But Tapes sounded better than CDs

But 8-tracks sounded better than tapes

but records sounded better than tapes

and football players were tougher because of leather helmets.

I havent been sold any bill of goods.

I like the sound. Nobody "fooled" me into liking it.

you like dont like it, cool. I dont understand why there is this garbage in the activity that "Only that which was done in my day is real".

Thats the beauty of what we do. We can like more than one thing, or dislike. It doesnt make the people who dont agree with you stupid.

I sat through an alumni corps show last year and while i really enjoyed the drumming, I really could not get on board with the tuning of the drums. (or the lack of).

Again,

I am not telling you to enjoy something you dont, but jeez! let people enjoy something without calling them stupid.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again...

"Crank snares to the top" says the theorem.

"The hardware won't 'pop' so don't fear them."

But hands and wrists blight from 'Formica-hard' tight,

And only a bat's ears can hear 'em!

"They're 'tenors'" we say of our quads.

To call them that, though, is at odds.

To designate right, their multi-heads tight,

Say "Four toneless bongos"... ye gods!

"Traditionally" (said to our faces)

"The big drums are what were called 'basses.'"

They're now cranked terrific, way up stratospheric,

Too high! Throw 'em back in their cases.

And speaking of sections expensive,

(now don't anyone get defensive)

"More tymps, bells and 'toys'! We MUST have more noise!"

The Pit swallows money... extensive!

Once again...

:blink:

Yeah yeah yeah.

We get it.

And CD's sound better than Ipods.

But Tapes sounded better than CDs

But 8-tracks sounded better than tapes

but records sounded better than tapes

and football players were tougher because of leather helmets.

I havent been sold any bill of goods.

I like the sound. Nobody "fooled" me into liking it.

you like dont like it, cool. I dont understand why there is this garbage in the activity that "Only that which was done in my day is real".

Thats the beauty of what we do. We can like more than one thing, or dislike. It doesnt make the people who dont agree with you stupid.

I sat through an alumni corps show last year and while i really enjoyed the drumming, I really could not get on board with the tuning of the drums. (or the lack of).

Again,

I am not telling you to enjoy something you dont, but jeez! let people enjoy something without calling them stupid.

No, no, no.

Geez Tasty--wasn't calling anyone stupid. Just voicing a LOUD opinion. Btw, 8 track sucks too. IMHO. And 24/96 does sound better, if you want to get technical.

You really must read the whole post before you comment. Would you read it again? I'll be testing you later!!

This has nothing to do with the old days and everything to do with the future. I don't want to go back to the good 'ol days--I want to see improvements here and now. Is that so bad? Why do you think my friends are developing a new snare? I better repeat this so it sinks in-- Why do you think my friends are developing a new snare? Because they sound so good these days?

If it seemed I was trying to call anyone stupid, I apologize. I am not that kind of human. (unless you're George dub'ya)

Apparently you like the way snares sound today. Good for you. I do not. Good for me. But it will change, whether you like it or not. It always does. And in 30 years while you're gumming a reply about how mighty kevlar was, some little a@#hole will come up to you and tell you to pull your head out of your a@# 'cause Teflon coated Titanium is the way to go. See the circle?

So next time you use your Wii, or Ipod, or Laptop, or your cell phone (which by the way, will be obsolete in a month or two when everyone switches to open source) remember the rickety generation that (cough) produced all these products.

Now, if you are really hurt by this, I will send you a box of chocolates. Just the kinda' nice fellow I am!!!

Edited by tommyfromhowardst

Once again...

Very very clever and cool!!! Wish I was prose-able like yourself!! A toast to you........

I've heard this before from kevlar era folks. Unfortunately, some people assume that because mylar players tune their drums-particularly Alumni corps-to a different standard that they are 'untuned.' Why can't we appreciate difference and generational styles???? Does anyone really believe a DRUM CORPS drum line is not going to tune it's drums???? Is this what DCI is teaching about respecting our history???

That said, I'm not necessarily a mylar or kevlar person. Mylar is better to play on, louder, and more musical becaue it seems more organic, but I also remember alot of popping/pulled heads. I also remember how alot of 1980s lines were anticipating the higher pitch of kevlar by going to smaller drums, cranking heads, and even putting extra rims on top of the head to prolong head life and help crank. While I like kevlar's durability, it's dreadful to play on (like concrete) and does not project very well. Not to mention that snare drums have essentially doubled in weight due to the need for extreme hardware for the kevlar....

My solution is that i'm hoping that technology (If I was Evans, I'd be on this like lightening) will eventually bring us a new paradigm in drum heads (and lead to better, lighter drums). We need a snare head that (I know there have been efforts at a 'hybrid' so far) that combines the durability and pitch of kevlar with the playability, and volume of mylar. Now that kind of head would rock! :tongue:

Edited by pearlsnaredrummer77

I've heard this before from kevlar era folks. Unfortunately, some people assume that because mylar players tune their drums-particularly Alumni corps-to a different standard that they are 'untuned.' Why can't we appreciate difference and generational styles???? Does anyone really believe a DRUM CORPS drum line is not going to tune it's drums???? Is this what DCI is teaching about respecting our history???

That said, I'm not necessarily a mylar or kevlar person. Mylar is better to play on, louder, and more musical becaue it seems more organic, but I also remember alot of popping/pulled heads. I also remember how alot of 1980s lines were anticipating the higher pitch of kevlar by going to smaller drums, cranking heads, and even putting extra rims on top of the head to prolong head life and help crank. While I like kevlar's durability, it's dreadful to play on (like concrete) and does not project very well. Not to mention that snare drums have essentially doubled in weight due to the need for extreme hardware for the kevlar....

My solution is that i'm hoping that technology (If I was Evans, I'd be on this like lightening) will eventually bring us a new paradigm in drum heads (and lead to better, lighter drums). We need a snare head that (I know there have been efforts at a 'hybrid' so far) that combines the durability and pitch of kevlar with the playability, and volume of mylar. Now that kind of head would rock! :tongue:

We're working on it as we speak! :blink:

Whoops sorry for the double post!!!!

Edited by tommyfromhowardst

We're working on it as we speak! :tongue:

Now that's good news. In my mind's eye, the ideal snare drum would weigh less than 10lbs, have the articulation, pitch and durability of kevlar, with the rimshot sound, volume and playing surface of mylar. Then we'd all be happy???

I'd be curious to know if this is true, but I was told once in a pipe band setting that the modern snare depth of 12" was set because it was the depth needed for the leg rest to sit correctly on average-sized players.

If that's true, then there's honestly no reason to stick with that any longer, especially because carriers are now almost 30 years into their existence...

Mike