SCV 1989 over age members

Sorry for digging up old ghosts but for some reason I began thinking of this situation the other day. I wanted to ask anybody associated with the 1989 SCV what it was like to find out two of your fellow members were over age and had essentially left town after their cover was blown. How did it go down? How did the Corps handle the blow amidst finals week? Has anybody kept in touch with these guys after all these years? They can’t be all bad for crying out loud. What were they thinking? I would imagine whatever the circumstances, these guys would have been bonded to Corps members and it had to be very difficult for them to leave the Corps just before such a fantastic victory. Any insight? It’s one of those things many wish they never had to hear of again, but for some strange reason this event visited me in a dream the other night and I began to try to put myself there. It had to be strange, painful, out of the blue, upsetting, and distracting for the Corps. What’s the story?

• Like 2

Sorry for digging up old ghosts but for some reason I began thinking of this situation the other day. I wanted to ask anybody associated with the 1989 SCV what it was like to find out two of your fellow members were over age and had essentially left town after their cover was blown. How did it go down? How did the Corps handle the blow amidst finals week? Has anybody kept in touch with these guys after all these years? They can't be all bad for crying out loud. What were they thinking? I would imagine whatever the circumstances, these guys would have been bonded to Corps members and it had to be very difficult for them to leave the Corps just before such a fantastic victory. Any insight? It's one of those things many wish they never had to hear of again, but for some strange reason this event visited me in a dream the other night and I began to try to put myself there. It had to be strange, painful, out of the blue, upsetting, and distracting for the Corps. What's the story?

I remember talking to one of their tenor players a number of years ago. All I remember is him saying that Gail called the 2 guys over during a break. told them the jig was up, and basically said they might want to be gone before the rest of teh corps found out.

• Like 1

I remember talking to one of their tenor players a number of years ago. All I remember is him saying that Gail called the 2 guys over during a break. told them the jig was up, and basically said they might want to be gone before the rest of teh corps found out.

OOH, Rough.

####.

Gail Royer was the freakin man.

:rolleyes::smile::wub:

The guys faked their British passports, so there was no way the corps would know they weren't legal. I've always wondered if they got in any trouble back home.

It was classy of all the other directors to realize what happened to SCV could have happened to any of their own corps.

• Like 1

The guys faked their British passports, so there was no way the corps would know they weren't legal. I've always wondered if they got in any trouble back home.

It was classy of all the other directors to realize what happened to SCV could have happened to any of their own corps.

I've always wondered about this. What really was the difference between 1989 SCV and 1976 Crossmen? In 1976 (I think) the Crossmen were found to have marched overage members at a few shows and were banned for the remainder of the season. Was it just the level of deception? I mean was there some thought that since in 1989 the passports were altered and fooled immigration officials that it wasn't SCV's fault? Of course, were the passports altered before or after entering the US? If they were altered after entering the US, then it would seem SCV was at fault.

The people in the SCV case committed a federal felony (of which SCV was an innocent victim). The Crossmen only violated DCI age rules.

I understand that SCV management was innocent, but are you saying the Crossmen management knew they were marching overage members? The members of SCV that altered their passport probably did commit a crime. Since they were British citizens, it probably is not called a "federal felony", though. Although it could be, I'n not familiar with their legal system.

Here is what I don't know.

What was the age verification proof in 1989?

Did the two members in the SCV case alter their passports after they entered the US? If so, it would seem to fall on the management of SCV to monitor forgery, whether it was a passport or birth certificate. (Granted they probably were not familiar with using a passport as age verification.)

What was the age verification proof in 1976?

In 1976, was the Crossmen management accused of complicity in marching overage members? Or were birth certificates forged with out management knowledge? If so, why is OK for SCV management not to have detected the forgery, but not the Crossmen?

Hard to imagine, impossible really, that Gail would be in any way negligent or complicit in this. He was a man of integrity. This obviously happened TO Santa Clara. I'm much more interested in what that event entailed for the fellow members and how this effected those who were bonded to these guys. 89 Alum, I know you're out there.