Guy Marnell

We lost another great Brigadier this week. Guy Marnell. From the 50's till the 70's Guy was one of the leaders of the corps. A Baritone player, he was VERY close to the late Hall of Famer, Phil Cerimeli. It was my pleasure to call him friend all these many years.

From the Syracuse Post Standard:

September 22, 2009 Guy Marnell, 73, passed away Tuesday at Crouse Hospital. A life resident of Syracuse, he retired from Syracuse Merchandise Company after many years. He was a member of the Syracuse Brigadiers, where he was an alumnus. He was also a member of the Pompeian Players. Mr. Marnell was a marching band instructor for the Syracuse Marauders, C-NS High School and ES-M High School. He was predeceased by his parents, Joseph and Mary Marnell, and by his sister, Joyce Rogalski. Guy is survived by his daughter, Leslie (Joe) Poppe of Elbridge; his son, Jay (Mary) Marnell of Syracuse; nine grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews. Friends may call 2 to 5 p.m. Sunday at FARONE & SON FUNERAL HOME, 1500 Park Street. A memorial service will follow at 5 p.m.

Sad news...a great guy we lost.

Donny

A great guy. Rest Guy, and have a beer with Phil!

Guy Marnell was one of the drill instructors (it was called drill in the day) in my first drum corps experience, The Syracuse 76'ers. He and Phil were inseparable. He always stressed military bearing. He was one of the funniest men on the planet as well! He was one of those guys you look back on that made a real difference in one's life. He taught the virtues of hard work and loyalty. He would endlessly talk about the Brigadiers of the sixties and how the marching members "took care of" individuals who felt comfortable planning to miss a rehearsal...even for a sister's wedding! It's clearly different now.

At the Memorial for Guy yesterday it was wonderful seeing Mrs. Cerimeli and one of the daughters holding court! The place was filling up with Brigadiers royalty when I left. It made you feel good because:

:thumbup::tongue::worthy:Once a Brigadier, Always a Brigadier.

Scott Mescon

Brigadiers 1993-

/

-------

\

well said Skip - having been in several corps, including 15 years in Cru and 6 in Brigs (and many more before that as a family member)... Brigs of the 60's were definitely the "band of brothers"... do I have stories... and Guy was definitely one of the lead "brothers"

Will never forget the impromptu football games in the Regional Market... and that long pass to Guy that was going straight to him until he hit the light pole... the sound of his arm breaking was memorable...

So many wonderful memories... Phil, Charlie, Guy and many others are together again.

I , being a Northstar was lucky enough to have Guy as one of my first instructors in 1985. I learned alot from him and he really was one of the funniest people I ever met. He ruled with a "velvet HAMMER" approach (Thanks Wormie for the phrase) Kept you engaged with his humor, then stuck his foot up your butt and you never even knew it.

God we had a great team back then: Corky, Dickie, Phil, Eddie, Guy, Paul, Dick VB, Bob Codner, Elliot Topalian, Joe Worm, Chris Calhoun....I could go on and on.

RIP Guy. Another one of my childhood heroes is gone. A toast to the ol Brig/Northstar Alums....Guy, Phil, Elliot, Bobby C. You are and will always be sorely missed.

One of Guy's lines I still used today when the snares interval is too close-"This isn't together dating service"! Just one of the memories.