Guess what I'm watching now?

Since a lot of folks apparently don't know that these DVDs are available, Drum Corps World is also selling the Reading Buccaneers home show from 1974 with six corps. Scott Gordon does great work--he remastered the 72 DCI finals DVDs, which DCW also has available for purchase. The listing from the online store:

1974 Review of the Corps (US) (1974DVD)

Our Price: $43.00

Product Details

A DCA competition from 1974 filmed by the Troopers’ Jim Jones and available for the first time! Featuring performances by the Hawthorne Caballeros, Reading Buccaneers, New York Skyliners, Yankee Rebels, Connecticut Hurricanes, Westshoremen. The Troopers benefit from the sale of this DVD release.

Restored and engineered by Scott Gordon from the original Sony half-inch EIAJ reel-to-reel videotapes with the permission of the Troopers.

yes, just spoke with Steve - we seem to be dealing with the same original product, but mine is different... it's the 4 seniors from Legion Fenway Park... but all 14 juniors seem to be CYO as you have portable lighting in Boston College Stadium back then... great stuff... check it out on drum corps world...

Hey Tom ... check the vids again ... the AL corps (all the Seniors, BS, Boston, Kevin's, etc) are on a baseball field and shot at a different angle than the CYO corps (Garfield, Blue Rock, Reveries, PAL, etc) ... I got copies of the original video tapes on VHS in 2003 from the guy in the Velvet Knights who shot them in 1967 ... he told me that the film/tapes on the equipment he used at the time were were very expensive and that any corps he taped at the AL Nats, he skipped at the CYO to ensure he was able to tape everyone ... unless your Canadian contact found another source ...

They are a real throwback ... huh? ... it's great watching them anytime ...

Andy

Edited by ajlisko

Product Details

A DCA competition from 1974 filmed by the Troopers’ Jim Jones and available for the first time! Featuring performances by the Hawthorne Caballeros, Reading Buccaneers, New York Skyliners, Yankee Rebels, Connecticut Hurricanes, Westshoremen. The Troopers benefit from the sale of this DVD release.

Restored and engineered by Scott Gordon from the original Sony half-inch EIAJ reel-to-reel videotapes with the permission of the Troopers.

:innocent: Got this one a few weeks back as it's the very first show I was in. :angel1:

Sad part is Troopers were the "waiting for the scores" exhibition but the tape of their performance never surfaced if it was ever recorded. Good quality for the age and less than brilliant lighting at what is a HS field.

PS cuz I missed it the first time. This was actually Westshoremens home show and not Buccs. Also first time Westshore did (part) of a field show since they broke up after 1972 DCA.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Eat your hearts out old timers... guess what I just watched? Black and White but not bad... very watchable AND the sound is pretty darn good...

I just received a DVD with both the Sr. portion of the 1967 Legion Nationals Mudfest in Fenway Park - featuring Hurcs, Cabs, Cru, Brigs - My avatar was taken by Moe Knox at this show...

AND

The entire 1967 CYO Nationals at Boston College.

This is like reliving history...

Ah - 1967 - the Summer of Love. Hey Tom - I was at the beach yesterday with my Ipod and listened to the 1966 American Legion Nationals show. For my money, 1966 was an all-time great Crusaders show. I was fortunate enough to see the 1966 Cru perform indoors in Buffalo, but not on the field that summer. Do you have a tape of that show up your sleeve??

somewhere I have both 65 and 66

66 was neat for me because I did the season with Cru and since their season was done labor day, did the September season with Brigs including DCA #2 in Bridgeport.

Now that I listen to it, 66 was a lot better than we give it credit for... but it did not live up to the hype of the 65 super corps... therefore we were actually disappointed with ourselves... Washington Legion of course was a trip to remember...

Wow,

I had no idea what a gem I was carrying around.

Edited by trmdrum

and if you're nice Ted - I'll let you watch it

somewhere I have both 65 and 66

66 was neat for me because I did the season with Cru and since their season was done labor day, did the September season with Brigs including DCA #2 in Bridgeport.

Now that I listen to it, 66 was a lot better than we give it credit for... but it did not live up to the hype of the 65 super corps... therefore we were actually disappointed with ourselves... Washington Legion of course was a trip to remember...

That record (1966 Legion Nationals - Cabs-Cru-Sky-Hurcs) was the FIRST drum corps recording that I ever purchased, and it was (and still is) a gem.

Since a lot of folks apparently don't know that these DVDs are available, Drum Corps World is also selling the Reading Buccaneers home show from 1974 with six corps. Scott Gordon does great work--he remastered the 72 DCI finals DVDs, which DCW also has available for purchase. The listing from the online store:

Product Details

A DCA competition from 1974 filmed by the Troopers' Jim Jones and available for the first time! Featuring performances by the Hawthorne Caballeros, Reading Buccaneers, New York Skyliners, Yankee Rebels, Connecticut Hurricanes, Westshoremen. The Troopers benefit from the sale of this DVD release.

actually the 74 video is the Carlisle show, which was Westshore's show. I did the notes

and if you're nice Ted - I'll let you watch it

if he isn't i'll watch it :tongue: