The history of the Westshoremen

79 may have been the famous rain out where Bayonne performed in their raincoats and nothing else

Correct... the infamous "Wet Dream" was that year. Bridgemen did have their underwear on, too. But no pants. LOL

The other corps that ended up doing exhibitions that day wore street clothes. And whatever wacky stuff they could come up with. The corps all had some fun with the situation. One guy in Sunrisers... a mellophone player... marched the show wearing a hotel towel, underwear, and sneakers. :w00t:

1980 was the last Dream at Roosevelt Stadium. It was at Giants Stadium in 1981, Rutgers in 1982 and in Bayonne in 1983...sponsored that year by the Bushwackers.

A few senior-corps folks brought back the Dream around the year 2000 or so for a few years... it was held in Lakewood NJ a couple of those years, with DCA and DCI corps.

Then the show went away again. I'm guessing for good. Too bad.... because IMO the Dream might have been the most unique show in the history of drum corps.

• Like 1

79 may have been the famous rain out where Bayonne performed in their raincoats and nothing else

You may be right!

Correct... the infamous "Wet Dream" was that year. Bridgemen did have their underwear on, too. But no pants. LOL

The other corps that ended up doing exhibitions that day wore street clothes. And whatever wacky stuff they could come up with. The corps all had some fun with the situation. One guy in Sunrisers... a mellophone player... marched the show wearing a hotel towel, underwear, and sneakers. :w00t:

1980 was the last Dream at Roosevelt Stadium. It was at Giants Stadium in 1981, Rutgers in 1982 and in Bayonne in 1983...sponsored that year by the Bushwackers.

A few senior-corps folks brought back the Dream around the year 2000 or so for a few years... it was held in Lakewood NJ a couple of those years, with DCA and DCI corps.

Then the show went away again. I'm guessing for good. Too bad.... because IMO the Dream might have been the most unique show in the history of drum corps.

Wasn't there a picture in DCN that had one of your guys wearing a Star Wars "storm trooper" helmet or something like that???

I always thought it was the perfect show.... :thumbup:

The later years versions couldnt attract the top DCI talent though because of modern touring. Shame

if you get a chance, check out this cool podcast Ron Allard did on Westshore!

http://drumcorpshistorypodcast.wordpress.com/2012/03/05/episode-023-westshoremen/

Bill Ives has a ton of historical stuff.....DCI let him set it up in the basement of the Thunder Dome in 2010. Dunno about last year

thumbup.gifthumbup.gif

The 1979 "Wet Dream". It was the Banana coats. Because of the rain and the condition of the field, they took their uniform pants off just as they were entering the field. (collected and put in a shopping cart if I remember correctly) Everyone was informed that they "might" need to wear their rehearsal shorts under their pants just in case......

Very few did. devil.gif

1979 B'Men.... (I have a few other pics)

th_1979DreamBridgemen1-1.jpg

1979 Sunrisers. We didn't wear our uniforms as it the competition was called and made into exhibition... (Oct 3, 1979 - Drum Corps News, Page 11)

th_1979_wet_dreamDrumLine.jpg

Wasn't there a picture in DCN that had one of your guys wearing a Star Wars "storm trooper" helmet or something like that???

I always thought it was the perfect show.... :thumbup:

thumbup.gifthumbup.gif (See above, that was Frank Simpson, Snare Drummer. Now performing with St Rita's Brassmen Alumni on Sop AND Percussion!)

Edited by TennTux