The history of the Westshoremen

Maybe Fran can answer but read somewhere that Suns not so nice nickname was "Santa Flushing Vanguard" since they did more of a Jr style type of show. And of course Sr style = in your face. Just don't know when that nickname was used. 1977/1978 shows were similar with some of the same songs. Trying to remember what year they did a African rhythm type drum solo (right before 'Spain'). One of those WTF things that you thought they'd go more into corps style at the end but... nope. That kida defined their style for me.

Larry at Bucknell show when Cru was whipping the crap out of the guy and the crowd was sitting with their mouths open in shock. "You think we're tough when you're late for practice. Rochester whips you".

I remember my dad's reaction:

"I've been watching drum corps since 1962. I have now seen it all"

Oh man... we did a great job that day. But somehow, losing by a half a tenth at that show was not a surprise to us. LOL. We always felt as if we were up against it at the Dream, when it was at Roosevelt Stadium.... the crowd usually favored the Cabs and Skyliners, and quite frankly so did some of the judges. :ph34r:

In 1979, a guy from Sun came back to our bus after watching the Crusaders, swearing he would never watch them again. "I can't believe I just saw them beat Christ on the field... that's just not right!!!" he said. :tongue:

True! It WAS Jersey so ya gotta figure that into the equation....The only cool thing about Sky was when Butch arrived in the limo and had champagne with the two hookers! :blink:

That's STILL one of the favorite shows I ever attended :thumbup:

Maybe Fran can answer but read somewhere that Suns not so nice nickname was "Santa Flushing Vanguard" since they did more of a Jr style type of show. And of course Sr style = in your face. Just don't know when that nickname was used. 1977/1978 shows were similar with some of the same songs. Trying to remember what year they did a African rhythm type drum solo (right before 'Spain'). One of those WTF things that you thought they'd go more into corps style at the end but... nope. That kida defined their style for me.

That nickname started with the 1976 season, when Sun came out wearing the Vanguard-style Aussie hats.

Honestly, we had no problem with it... it was a lot tamer than some of the other nicknames our rivals had for us. :tongue:

That drum solo you refer to was "Afro Blue." Great percussion chart.

Heard one person say it was the most tasteless thing they ever saw on the field. We were kinda WTH?

Then again while that was being done on the field a lot of us were laughing at Larrys joke. IIRC we were sitting in the backfield stands in at least partial uniforms. Nice soft music (Garden Of Gessemite(sp!)), crowd in shocked silence... and bunch of us laughing. Good thing Bucknell was a "home show" for us with the Milton crew but *sheesh*....

As I was reading this, I was trying to imagine the converstion that must have taken place, during a full corps rehearsal/run through: "We need something here". "This segment of our show doesn't "pop". :blink:

As I was reading this, I was trying to imagine the converstion that must have taken place, during a full corps rehearsal/run through: "We need something here". "This segment of our show doesn't "pop". :blink:

I KNOW! LET'S WHIP AND CRUCIFY JESUS!!!! :devil:

(probably a demented cymbal player's suggestion) :tongue:

WE NEED VISUALS... WE NEED VISUALS.... :tongue:

"people won't get too offended"

Well, we did talk about that awhile ago- It was a bad moment the Crusaders are still not happy about- for them to have rewrote the show that year and have a go at it was an achievement in itself- had things been in place from the start with them, maybe 1979 would have been better- maybe they'd have had a crack at us and the Hurcs.

Anyhow, lest I forget, I'll get these shots from this year's Profiles in Music up. Jeff, you have my permission to use tham and post them to Facebook, It's my pleasure.

I may still have more of things from the last Serenade, I'll keep looking and getting them up when I find anything I find good enough.

DSCF2806.jpg

DSCF2805.jpg

DSCF2804.jpg

This is all I have. I didn't get any good opportunities to compose pics and take more things of quality this year.

Edited by BigW

Wow...Dave Rohrer in a "Members Only" jacket! :blink:

and his former student now replacement Byron Mikesell on the right.

Ben....introduced the baby to the new Rush album today. she liked it!