The history of the Westshoremen

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 5:50 PM, Fran Haring said:

Great visual design in 1983, too. IMO, 'Shore and the Caballeros had the two best drills in DCA that year.

Well what we needed in 83 Fran was for old Eagle Eye "LEAVE THAT DRILL ALONE".  (sung to Another brick in the wall) I remember 2 days before a show in Bayonne in 83 and Freddy changed 2/3rds of the drill and I think we still won by 1.5.

16 hours ago, Bucbari said:

Well what we needed in 83 Fran was for old Eagle Eye "LEAVE THAT DRILL ALONE".  (sung to Another brick in the wall) I remember 2 days before a show in Bayonne in 83 and Freddy changed 2/3rds of the drill and I think we still won by 1.5.

I agree. Too much tinkering, for no real good reason it seemed. 

Edited by Fran Haring

16 hours ago, buzzgok said:

I wonder if the fact that we were referred to as the BD of DCA had anything to do with the snide comments.  I took it as a compliment but I know there are a few who resented it.

Had nothing to do with it where this person was concerned. My thoughts then and still about this individual were,

"If you have that kind of a hangup with the personality of this corps and who we are in terms of the west coast jazz style, then why the (intercourse) are you here?"

I know why they had the hangup, but I don't want to go into too many details publicly to protect the identity of the very, very, guilty.

Though I will give a hint- this is the individual I tried to strangle in my sleep on Bus 1 some time in August. Neidiger would remember for certain---he saw the whole thing go down. I remember vaguely, mainly the rocking headache when I woke up and Neidiger laughing his can off at me.

7 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Oops.... hit the wrong switch....LOL

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

As for people who would be upset by any comparison, that's outright insane- and I'll use the term outright idiotic to have been offended by it.

1976 to 1982- Who was the big influence in the overall activity in terms of excellence, success, musicality and quality, and the total show concept?

It wasn't the Vanguard. I'll give anyone reading this that clue.

Yeah, they won the 2 championships the Devils didn't, their 1980 show was ahead of its time visually and paid in spades for that, but BD was the edge in so many ways. There were other great corps, but in terms of having everything together in the total package.

Edited by BigW
completeness

On 3/9/2017 at 10:52 PM, buzzgok said:

I still remember the first time Tree who sat in front of the shi**er on the bus, lifted up the lid on his cooler and yelled "hey, McShane, I could use a Genny cream ale."  Here comes McShane running on top of the rest of the coolers and dove into Tree's cooler and came up with a Genny cream ale in each hand.  I sat there and thought to myself, this is gonna be a great ride with this corps!

were you there in 92 after the Allentown show? most of the corps had only "heard the legend", so Tree, myself, my dad and a few others took a big cooloer and filled with 10 different kinds of beers....but only one can of Strohs.

we got him to finally agree to go for a dive and ###### if he didnt get the one can of Strohs

• Like 3

On 3/24/2017 at 2:04 AM, Jeff Ream said:

were you there in 92 after the Allentown show? most of the corps had only "heard the legend", so Tree, myself, my dad and a few others took a big cooloer and filled with 10 different kinds of beers....but only one can of Strohs.

we got him to finally agree to go for a dive and ###### if he didnt get the one can of Strohs

I missed it but I'm not surprised that he did it.  I know of only one dive that he failed at.  He tried to do a "mother/daughter" dive with the one guard girl and her mother who helped at the souvie stand.  Poor mom took the brunt of that one since the daughter had like a sixth sense of not only when he was gonna try but from which direction and she would dive out of the way.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2017 at 10:08 PM, buzzgok said:

I wonder if the fact that we were referred to as the BD of DCA had anything to do with the snide comments.  I took it as a compliment but I know there are a few who resented it.

we liked it in 95 and 96

• Like 2

Mike laid it out simply- We played jazz in the West Coast style and our selections were also in that vein. To me, it's a rather refreshing contrast to the traditional East Coast Swing era stuff and that more swingy style.

Here's a loaded question.... Was it a problem for the Brigs when they were using Wayne Downey and pretty much re-exploring all the great Blue Devils charts for their shows? :innocent:

On 4/1/2017 at 4:01 PM, BigW said:

Mike laid it out simply- We played jazz in the West Coast style and our selections were also in that vein. To me, it's a rather refreshing contrast to the traditional East Coast Swing era stuff and that more swingy style.

Here's a loaded question.... Was it a problem for the Brigs when they were using Wayne Downey and pretty much re-exploring all the great Blue Devils charts for their shows? :innocent:

IMHO, not a chance.  I loved those shows and the way they were performed by the Brigs.  Yes, they were Blue Devil charts but they did put their own spin on them to make them their own.  On, that note, I really miss the Brigs and would like to see them back on the field.  I thought either that would happen or Crusaders would come back when Empire went inactive.