The history of the Westshoremen

I was lucky enough to see the Brigs during their run at Hershey, and yeah, definitely an enjoyable and tight corps regardless of how derivative or not the charts were. When a corps is really good- a lot of little picky things like that can be easily forgiven.

As for the Crusaders- the loss of the horns and debt incurred from getting said horns pretty much put a permanent end to things there.

Brigs? At least they have their Mini corps and are still doing some small scale things now and again. The problem is this-- The Brigs understood it took a lot of money to fuel their dragster. Would they want to come back with a modest version of themselves and show up and fight for 8th place? I somehow doubt that. If they come back it would likely be with every gun a-blazin and not a half cocked effort, and that would take a few BMW's worth of cash.

Speaking of Westshoremen alums...LOL...

Went to see Scott Stansfield's band, the Melting Pot Big Band, here in Baltimore last night.  Great show!!!   These guys can play a bit, for sure. Hard to believe they're a part-time group by the sound they put out.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Speaking of Westshoremen alums...LOL...

Went to see Scott Stansfield's band, the Melting Pot Big Band, here in Baltimore last night.  Great show!!!   These guys can play a bit, for sure. Hard to believe they're a part-time group by the sound they put out.

Scott's a fascinating cat, a real Westshoreman even though he might be better known for his work at Brigs. I've always liked his sense of humor and his kindness to the folks I've been around with him as well as his candor. I guess all of that sizes up a lot of us for the good and bad of Westshore, but I think it's a good combination for the most part.

4 hours ago, BigW said:

Scott's a fascinating cat, a real Westshoreman even though he might be better known for his work at Brigs. I've always liked his sense of humor and his kindness to the folks I've been around with him as well as his candor. I guess all of that sizes up a lot of us for the good and bad of Westshore, but I think it's a good combination for the most part.

One of the tunes the band did Saturday:

Suite for Jazz Orchestra.  :thumbup:

On 4/1/2017 at 4:01 PM, BigW said:

Mike laid it out simply- We played jazz in the West Coast style and our selections were also in that vein. To me, it's a rather refreshing contrast to the traditional East Coast Swing era stuff and that more swingy style.

Here's a loaded question.... Was it a problem for the Brigs when they were using Wayne Downey and pretty much re-exploring all the great Blue Devils charts for their shows? :innocent:

only to the haters

• Like 2

On 4/10/2017 at 9:35 AM, Fran Haring said:

One of the tunes the band did Saturday:

Suite for Jazz Orchestra.  :thumbup:

they did a great arrangement of that for the party last year. and yeah Scott's known for his Brigs time, but his heart is here. Those of us that finally got our 96 rings, while Scott has some red ones, he said finally getting the blue one meant the most to him

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

they did a great arrangement of that for the party last year. and yeah Scott's known for his Brigs time, but his heart is here. Those of us that finally got our 96 rings, while Scott has some red ones, he said finally getting the blue one meant the most to him

He showed us the ring Saturday... looks awesome!!!

Same arrangement of "Suite" was used Saturday.  Like you said... very nice take on that chart. 

True to the original and the field versions 

From his clip on his website, I think it is the original piece by Pendowski- how he got a copy... my guess is went to Towson and looked there since the piece is "permanently out of print" according to one publisher when I went looking.

Nice Rafik Mankarios vid up of his band playing it as well.

Another little nugget I found recently was a clip of the BBC Big Band with Lalo Schifrin, John Faddis, and Rafael Berroa with the band playing Schifrin's Latin jazz Suite at a German Jazz festival. Love the band, and the solo work. Was great to watch and listen to Berroa, I wasn't familiar with him until then, he's wonderfully sublime.

he had the 90/95 score from the corps which helped.