The history of the Westshoremen

On 10/13/2017 at 12:54 PM, JimF-LowBari said:

Easy as Hades to overblow lol....

And I have played piston rotor, 2v and 3v all in g.

"Getzen Deluxe":

Only had my trusty Getzen Deluxe GD valve slide bass baritone for 7 years, way back in the day.

Didn't worry too much about "Overblowing".  Joe Genero and Hy Drietzer usually said we weren't playing LOUD ENOUGH!!!!!!     :guinesssmilie:

Elphaba     :flower:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, elphaba01 said:

"Getzen Deluxe":

Only had my trusty Getzen Deluxe GD valve slide bass baritone for 7 years, way back in the day.

Didn't worry too much about "Overblowing".  Joe Genero and Hy Drietzer usually said we weren't playing LOUD ENOUGH!!!!!!     :guinesssmilie:

Heh... in 1978, Jack Meehan came East to work with us (Sunrisers) after the DCI season was done,  leading up to DCA championships.

One rehearsal, he told us in the French horn line that he needed us to play louder in a couple of spots.

Of course, telling our Frenchie line to "play louder" was like throwing raw meat to the lions.  :tongue:

15 hours ago, elphaba01 said:

"Getzen Deluxe":

I'd like one of those-- do any of them ever come up for sale in a playable condition?

Saw a FB post from Bobby Menear that Tom McShane passed away in June.  :unhappy:

May he rest in peace.  A legendary character, and that's putting it mildly. Larger than life.

I just saw Ruth put it on the corps page. Gotta call dad in the morning.

a true nut but one helluva guy. RIP Tommy

On 10/15/2017 at 12:45 AM, Jeff Ream said:

the re-emphasis on all aspects of GE, not just the intellectual helped DCI 

True, very true. Also, I see more from every end of the activity teams trying to be more compelling, trying harder to really reach and communicate with the audience, which ties in. It's not a sterile intellectual show where it's like you're watching their lab project unfold anymore. I know some may argue, but even BITD there were personalities and moments where that was also done.

I'd always hoped to see Tom again. He was kind of around, people kind of knew where he was... Just never that opportunity. I've missed him since 1983. That pic of Tom in that human pyramid in the RIT cafeteria with all of us might be the best pic of him. In his crazy way, he did bring us together, and we did love him. :worthy:

And speaking of Pardubas... they still make and sell them. Read one review that everything below 3rd space E Flat in Bass Clef was like... non-existent. Nawwwwwwwwwww.. can't be. :biggrin:

Dunno if I have 79 bucks to toss at one and use it for amusement and to inflict pain on listeners, though. A school I subbed at in the mid 80;s had one in a file cabinet and I tried it, was a real laugher. :laugh:

Got my 2-B back. Hadn't touched it in years. It sounds great, but my slide fu is extremely weak. :innocent:

10 hours ago, BigW said:

I'd always hoped to see Tom again. He was kind of around, people kind of knew where he was... Just never that opportunity. I've missed him since 1983. That pic of Tom in that human pyramid in the RIT cafeteria with all of us might be the best pic of him. In his crazy way, he did bring us together, and we did love him. :worthy:

he came back in 91 and 92....taught the next generation the craziness of his genius...then disappeared off the map. I remember him walking up to Dad at Hershey, seeing only 19 horns, and telling Dad to get him in touch with the director.....and Dad said "hey Tree, Tommy wants to chat, and it doesnt involve a cooler.....yet"

then that night in 92 at Salisbury Middle....a small styrofoam cooler.....and 9 cans of beer, all different brands.

what a great guy

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

he came back in 91 and 92....taught the next generation the craziness of his genius...then disappeared off the map. I remember him walking up to Dad at Hershey, seeing only 19 horns, and telling Dad to get him in touch with the director.....and Dad said "hey Tree, Tommy wants to chat, and it doesnt involve a cooler.....yet"

then that night in 92 at Salisbury Middle....a small styrofoam cooler.....and 9 cans of beer, all different brands.

what a great guy

My favorite memory of Tom was from back in 83.  We were practicing on the island and it had been a rain off and on type day.  After rehearsal, Tom said that he had a special weather dive for the night.  He stripped down to his tighty whities and dove into a puddle.  he did the back stroke through the puddle and stood up.  The mud had appropriately put a racing stripe on the back of his underwear.  There were other "stunts" that I remember and all of them are funny.  RIP my friend, you will be missed!