The history of the Westshoremen

I just found out Ron Beyer passed away....I dont know any details. I'll post when I do

That sucks. Ron was good people.

I'm kinda shocked by this.

Yeah, I don't discount that...I just remember viewing things with blue colored glasses in those days... and didn't want to believe that there were people with the audacity to be better than us that year.

Only a fool would ever have thought the other corps wouldn't fight back and compete. Sky, Sun, Cabs, Reading, and Hurcs had all won fairly recent championships and had all been in the top 3. The question was whether they had the brains to actually do it (credit Reading and Sun) the vehicle, (Sun did) or talent. (Sun did, IIRC Reading was just waaaay down on talent that season, big turnover)

The show DID have issues. A lot of that is from looking back on it with a lot of hindsight and learning about show design/construction, etc. Then again- who took high GE? :satisfied: If the show had issues, everyone else's also had to have some issues too, otherwise we'd have blown that area....

Ron Beyer? refresh the memory banks when you can?

Ron lived in Allentown, around a lot, marched many different times over the years, guard, A Squad, carried a horn "Ron never let that horn touch your lips"...his brother Tommy was always around too.

Great friend of the family. Gave me my first jack and coke.

Ron Beyer? refresh the memory banks when you can?

I remeber Ron being in WSM when the corps reformed in 74 and think he was one of the past WSM-BS members. From bit n pieces of my member he was a horn and guard (flag) and probably was around until 77/78 or so. But not totally sure.

I remeber Ron being in WSM when the corps reformed in 74 and think he was one of the past WSM-BS members. From bit n pieces of my member he was a horn and guard (flag) and probably was around until 77/78 or so. But not totally sure.

Ok...so basically he was around but I never met him...The name didn't really sound familiar to me.

Only a fool would ever have thought the other corps wouldn't fight back and compete. Sky, Sun, Cabs, Reading, and Hurcs had all won fairly recent championships and had all been in the top 3. The question was whether they had the brains to actually do it (credit Reading and Sun) the vehicle, (Sun did) or talent. (Sun did, IIRC Reading was just waaaay down on talent that season, big turnover)

The show DID have issues. A lot of that is from looking back on it with a lot of hindsight and learning about show design/construction, etc. Then again- who took high GE? :satisfied: If the show had issues, everyone else's also had to have some issues too, otherwise we'd have blown that area....

And that's what made that year cool... The top 4 or 5 had been pretty set in stone for a while, and we came in and sort of upset the apple cart with a BIG boom! From my experience at Reading, and talking to a bunch of people about their "lapse", 81 was HUGE as far as breaking their spirit. Remember, they were pretty much favorites to win, with Sun hot on their tails, when Hurcs won it was a blow that took a BIG toll on the membership, and they had crazy turnover (as you said) Not sure if I ever told this one here... I probably did, but you'll have to endure it again :tongue: We were sitting around at a practice taking about different years, and 81 came up...forgetting where I was sitting and who I was sitting WITH, I said "Yeah Sun got ROYALLY SCREWED that year!" Dead---freaking----silence :doh: One of the horn players said "Um, yeah, I think another corps that you might know got screwed as well" :shutup: (ooops!)

Well, yeah, we had some issues...I don't recall much more than the drumline being decent at best though.... Is that all we got, high GE?

Well, yeah, we had some issues...I don't recall much more than the drumline being decent at best though.... Is that all we got, high GE?

In 1982, Sunrisers took percussion. Hurricanes took visual. Skyliners won brass. Sun and Westshoremen tied for high GE.

An interesting footnote... if you look at the recaps from that year, IIRC.... we (Sunrisers) actually won visual execution in 1982, but the caption trophy was a combined visual ex/visual GE score, and thus it went to the Hurricanes.

Early on in that 1982 season, we (Sun) almost literally could not march to save our lives. LOL. We were miles off the pace in visual scores. But we worked our butts off at cleaning the drill and making a few changes, and by year's end we marched pretty well.