The history of the Westshoremen

From the "Learn something every day" category.... From back in my time, I didn't know there was anything that offended guys from Sky. devil.gif

Fran and I have said it several times.... Those folks in the Matadors could really party! (lots of folks were on the loosing end of the "Keep up with us" when hanging out with the Matadors.)

yeah... we were surprised when they didn't like that as well.... :blink:

I can't say in public what happened the first time I met Ritchee Price! But it was "Price"-less!!! :tongue: The second time I met him was when Chuck Wilson (one of the soprano trio) was marching there. I marched with Chuck when I was in the Chocolatiers, fun guy to party with also!

It's likely it offended Sky because they didn't think of it first. All I will say on that is we got invited back to the AL Post in Jessup, PA after the Scranton contest because they told us we were pretty polite and well-behaved- though we did party and buy a lot of their alcohol. They/Sky didn't get asked back. Ask me what they told me about that when you see me.

The Erie crew could also party hearty. The Booze Brothers, etc. etc. :satisfied:

yeah... we were surprised when they didn't like that as well.... :blink:

I can't say in public what happened the first time I met Ritchee Price! But it was "Price"-less!!! :tongue: The second time I met him was when Chuck Wilson (one of the soprano trio) was marching there. I marched with Chuck when I was in the Chocolatiers, fun guy to party with also!

AGREE!!

Donna and I go way back with Ritchie and Barbara. When Donna and I marched in the Renegades, Barbara (Ritchie's wife) and Donna were best friends. It was Donna that introduced them...

It's likely it offended Sky because they didn't think of it first. All I will say on that is we got invited back to the AL Post in Jessup, PA after the Scranton contest because they told us we were pretty polite and well-behaved- though we did party and buy a lot of their alcohol. They/Sky didn't get asked back. Ask me what they told me about that when you see me.

That will most likely he at Hanover's show on 4/14.... thumbup.gif

*edit*

Unless your planning on an appearance at the Stinger on 3/31 !! w00t.gif

Edited by TennTux

I'll be at Hanover, you bet. The Alumni corps is sounding pretty decent, I think we're finally starting to really groove better as time goes on!

That because Fran is back in the pit....

(that's MY story and I'm sticking to it! shutup.gif)

That is because despite Fran is being back in the pit....

Edited for accuracy. :tongue:

Edited for accuracy. :tongue:

Since Scott's on the road someone has to do it...

DON'T BREAK ANYTHING! :tongue:

Since Scott's on the road someone has to do it...

DON'T BREAK ANYTHING! :tongue:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Ben, your stories about the Matadors are pretty much the same vibe we had with them... they were great people.

Quick story.... they had our back at least once.... in 1978, after their show in Rhode Island. The Mats used to host a post-show party at a warehouse-type building... that year, our corps's buses had left for home, but a few of us stayed over at the home of one of the guys in our horn line who lived in Rhode Island. So that handful of Sunrisers went to the party.... only to see, as we entered the building, the entire Skyliners' corps there, holding a mock "trial" of the Sunrisers (complete with judge and jury), and hanging a stuffed replica of a Sunriser in effigy.... honest to God.

So, it was a few of us vs. the entire Skyliners. Not real good odds for us, if things got heated. LOL. Anyhow... our friends from the Matadors told us to stick close to them and there would be no trouble... we did, and there wasn't.

Edited by Fran Haring

OK... So I guess I should at least check in more often that once a year...LOL (This is from AUGUST 2011 !)

Apologies for bringing this up from 6 months ago!

Fran and I have talked about this several times... "If folks only knew what most of the members of Sun were really like..." LOL There were a LOT of folks BITD (guys AND gals) in the Corps that were certifiable "crazy". Most of them were self controlled while in uniform and in public. devil.gif

You have no idea... I had thoughts of some how screwing up before EVERY show. (Ask Donna next time you see her)

Some folks have had a hard time believing me when I tell them I'm an introvert. (Donna is the one in our family that is the "people person" and enjoys being around a lot of people.) In uniform and in front of the Corps was a much different attitude. (I refer to it as "Performance Mode" as in a "role" I had as DM.) I had similar concerns when I was in the horn line, I had thoughts of messing up my parts - attacks, releases and missing notes then as well.) With Sun I was also working all year with the Horn Line sections and Drum Line as well as a drill tech, learning the mechanics of the show became some what like "muscle memory". My "lack of flamboyancy" was most likely because I am an introvert. That and I never saw my part as any more important than the members that played a horn, drum or in the guard. I've always said "No one ever bought a ticket to a Drum Corps show to see the Drum Major". (I don't expect every other person that was a DM to feel the same way but that is how it was for me. I am honored to have had the position and compete with some of the best folks that ever took to the field.)

introvert? You???

:blink:

tho I must confess...I know women that bought tickets to shows to see Jimmy and Butch BITD

Edited by Jeff Ream