The history of the Westshoremen

Think Coffey lives/lived near CHHS in a house that my wife knew the elderly lady who lived there. She was (more than) kinda off the wall and named her cat Qualude <not kidding>. She told us the story that she was calling the cat by name and one of the students gave her the finger cuz he must have thought she was yelling Qualude at him. Always wanted to call in with that story but if they were on the air doubt if Coffey wanted to give his address away.

Met Jammer in the mid 80s when TCBY opened in Mechanicsburg and he was giving away t-shirts and cassettes. I heard it on the radio and walked in around lunch time Saturday and NO ONE there except Jammer, engineer and two guys behind the counter. And Jammer looked ####ed.... I ask the engineer and he yells to Jammer .. "HEY SOMEONE HEARD YOU" and points to me. I had to ask him about the crap they were giving away as he didn't even want to talk. He just pointed and muttered... used the t-shirt to paint and gave the cassette (Hooters for heavens sake) to my sister. Laugh was the cassette was marked "for radio used only". LOL, bought a David Bowie CD at a pawn shop near a Navy base that said the same thing...

Ehh... radio... not that great reception at home so put on the Music Choice channels from Verizon on the TV (gotta get some use outta that big ###ed bill I get every month).

yep. betwen Chestnut and Market on 27th. Used to see him at the pool with the kids too.

Used to do a lot with the Bruce Bond crew too when I worked at CellOne and AT&T. Captain Matt was a 27th Alum

yep. betwen Chestnut and Market on 27th. Used to see him at the pool with the kids too.

Used to see him and the rugrats up at Lincoln school playground before they built the library. Bro in laws parents live up on High Street and she was so upset that the playground was being knocked down for the library. She wanted a library but "not in my backyard" as traffic, kids hanging out, wah, wah B####, B####. And the playground is the only one on our side of Market, green space, gripe, wah.....

I let her gripe for a while then I said "Well I thought that playground was on private property so anyone using it is trespassing". All I knew is Capital Intermediate used a couple of rooms in the building and had no idea who owned the ground.

But it ####ed her off so didn't really matter if I was right or not......

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I will NOT set foot in that building until Rush is in.

Meh....after seeing who IS in it, I'd rather Rush NOT be in it to tell you the truth....

The highlight for me was the Pink Floyd display....as far as I'm concerned...too much Elvis....

Used to do a lot with the Bruce Bond crew too when I worked at CellOne and AT&T. Captain Matt was a 27th Alum

Bond used to HATE when I called in after they changed 104 from good music to "top 40" One time I called requesting Floyd, or Rush or something, and he said "how about Madonna" I said "I don't want to hear that slut!" and he kept PLAYING me saying that.... :doh:

Used to see him and the rugrats up at Lincoln school playground before they built the library. Bro in laws parents live up on High Street and she was so upset that the playground was being knocked down for the library. She wanted a library but "not in my backyard" as traffic, kids hanging out, wah, wah B####, B####. And the playground is the only one on our side of Market, green space, gripe, wah.....

I let her gripe for a while then I said "Well I thought that playground was on private property so anyone using it is trespassing". All I knew is Capital Intermediate used a couple of rooms in the building and had no idea who owned the ground.

But it ####ed her off so didn't really matter if I was right or not......

I guess she forgot about Eisenhower and Schaeffer schools....they have playgrounds too

I guess she forgot about Eisenhower and Schaeffer schools....they have playgrounds too

..imitating her irritating way of speaking below....

"But.. the children (IOW - her grandkids) would have to cross a BUSY street to get to THOSE playgrounds...."

Can just about hit their house with a rock from the library parking lot (not a bad idea either). She could see the little brats from her front window. Now the little brats are grown and just as f-ed up as the parents. Catch me sometime and I could tell some great stories on them.... Including the one where the matriarch got all bent out of shape that I didn't tell her my mom passed away. She asked my dad how she was doing and got told she had died (oops). Then (in front of my dad) in a whizzy voice she asked why I didn't tell her this. Last time he ever went near that part of the family and last time I really spoke to her.

..imitating her irritating way of speaking below....

"But.. the children (IOW - her grandkids) would have to cross a BUSY street to get to THOSE playgrounds...."

Can just about hit their house with a rock from the library parking lot (not a bad idea either). She could see the little brats from her front window. Now the little brats are grown and just as f-ed up as the parents. Catch me sometime and I could tell some great stories on them.... Including the one where the matriarch got all bent out of shape that I didn't tell her my mom passed away. She asked my dad how she was doing and got told she had died (oops). Then (in front of my dad) in a whizzy voice she asked why I didn't tell her this. Last time he ever went near that part of the family and last time I really spoke to her.

when we first moved to Camp Hill, we lived out by the Y. we went all over town...crossed the bypass, Market, you name it. Never phased mom, she trusted us

I'm not saying I prefer Elvis, but he was important. You can't knock a guy who put the a and b side of a 45 number 1....

Anyhowm I'll get more serious later. Too much crazy lately. WAY crazy. Went to Carlisle Sunday, talked to many old friends, mentors, and met some new people, all good folks.

And speaking of rock. You want serious rock, I won't link it, but just go to YouTube and put in the search bar "Till sets himself on fire"..... Seriously. that's how I found that. I can search! Great stuff. :thumbup: If you watch the Sydney performance...

I'm not saying I prefer Elvis, but he was important. You can't knock a guy who put the a and b side of a 45 number 1....

Anyhowm I'll get more serious later. Too much crazy lately. WAY crazy. Went to Carlisle Sunday, talked to many old friends, mentors, and met some new people, all good folks.

And speaking of rock. You want serious rock, I won't link it, but just go to YouTube and put in the search bar "Till sets himself on fire"..... Seriously. that's how I found that. I can search! Great stuff. :thumbup: If you watch the Sydney performance...

YOUNG Elvis was important....anything after he left Nashville is crud! When it comes down to brass tacks, Elvis wasn't "rock and roll" he was country. Tell anyone in Nashville anything different and they'll shoot you! I learned that when I took a tour of the Country Music HoF, and visited the studio he recorded in...Li'l ol' lady that worked there told me that and when I said "but I think he was known as the King of Rock and Roll" she said "hush yo mouth, he was country and if you don't believe me we can shoot you for spreading rumors, it's legal here" :thumbup:

She scared the living ba-jeezis out of me because she was SERIOUS when she said that! :blink:

Edited by Jaminbenb

Duplicate post :blink:

Edited by Jaminbenb