The history of the Westshoremen

Years are blending together.... In 78 did you do a standstill or some kind of drill? I saw Hershey at the Danville exhibition but can't remember the year. Do know it wasn't 1977 as Westshore wasn't there (Carlisle was at Indy 500). LOL, I DO know that Steady Teddy Arndt was heading the Honor Guard for Hershey and they went on first. Remember that as I told someone "And the first person on the field for the 19?? season... Ted Arndt" and they almost puked.

Yeah like I posted before, if my parents had know about Hershey in 1974 my butt would have gone there instead of Westshoremen. Lot safer drive down PA-39 to Hershey than I-81 or thru Harrisburg to get to Cow Valley. Hmm... have an old car meeting this weekend by the Car Museum. I'll be hitting parts of PA-39 for about the millionth time in my life... :blink:

Wow... how would my corps career turned out if I went east to Hershey...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

78 they had a field show and we did Danville as well (met the Swegers that night, got a beer :thumbup:) I think we did all the PA shows, Danville, Hershey, Mechanicsburg, Carlisle, Lewisburg. Ted started that year in the drumline..thankfully he was asked to lead the AF guard (F-Troop as Bowsers dad called them)

You probably would have stuck it out and joined Westshore in 79 like the rest of us....anyone that lived EAST of Hershey all went to Bucs...little did THEY know :doh: So I knew a LOT of people in that corps.

It was fun, it was basically "Drum Corps 101" for me since I never knew what they were before joining, and I think it was a good way for me to get into the activity without jumping in feet first.

Years are blending together.... In 78 did you do a standstill or some kind of drill? I saw Hershey at the Danville exhibition but can't remember the year. Do know it wasn't 1977 as Westshore wasn't there (Carlisle was at Indy 500). LOL, I DO know that Steady Teddy Arndt was heading the Honor Guard for Hershey and they went on first. Remember that as I told someone "And the first person on the field for the 19?? season... Ted Arndt" and they almost puked.

Yeah like I posted before, if my parents had know about Hershey in 1974 my butt would have gone there instead of Westshoremen. Lot safer drive down PA-39 to Hershey than I-81 or thru Harrisburg to get to Cow Valley. Hmm... have an old car meeting this weekend by the Car Museum. I'll be hitting parts of PA-39 for about the millionth time in my life... :blink:

Wow... how would my corps career turned out if I went east to Hershey...

Edited by Jaminbenb

You probably would have stuck it out and joined Westshore in 79 like the rest of us....anyone that lived EAST of Hershey all went to Bucs...little did THEY know :doh: So I knew a LOT of people in that corps.

Well 1979 gets sticky for me as I considered dropping out of WSM that year. Sep 77 - Dec 79 I was out in the land of coal mines and Christmas trees (IOW Indiana Univ of PA) and by 79 was worried about a J-O-B. Plus being 4 hours away I missed about all the music rehearsals and only came home for those freakin' "camps" at Ship U. A real pain in the ### trying to get school work done and come home Friday night and back Sunday night. Hell I joined corps just keep playing the horn and have fun. Now WSM with the new staff was getting all serious and ####. :tongue:

Mebbe I should have gone to Hershey in 79 and saved some stress for later.

Bomp bom bah fkjghasdfighsdiljfglkdjfghlkg da dut daaahhhhhhh!

that was the bgeinning of the 96 show too. Dan had some kick ### grooves in there

Since my first year was '79. I didn't know the whole mess with Granada Smoothie from the pervious year. All I know was that we had to bust our tails to try and make the thing come alive and not lay there like an overweight cat in a sunbeam. Frank Ferraro Sr., Wilson's Director at the time was judging DCA brass, and I know his tapes- which were right- really had Ray and the horline honked off. The one spot, we all thought to ourselves "Up your ###" Because he was all over the fact it had no impact. By the end of the season it had enough- not enough to keep ahead of the Hurcs, but enough.

Kind of fun to hear that old chestnut again. Madison had a version of it at that time- and some folks thought our version was better- theirs wasn't really well arranged and also suffered from even more of a lack of oomph.

Dave Pomponio was a good guy- introduced me to Rum and Coke, and kept my head in the game when Rich had me ###### off. I have other stories about him, too. Just remind me.

that was the bgeinning of the 96 show too. Dan had some kick ### grooves in there

I've heard the tape and it didn't have the "fkjghasdfighsdiljfglkdjfghlkg " part it was a TAD cleaner.... The shame of it was I've heard the hornline nail it and when they did it was great...but most of the recordings I've heard from that year are "fkjghasdfighsdiljfglkdjfghlkg" :blink:

Since my first year was '79. I didn't know the whole mess with Granada Smoothie from the pervious year. All I know was that we had to bust our tails to try and make the thing come alive and not lay there like an overweight cat in a sunbeam. Frank Ferraro Sr., Wilson's Director at the time was judging DCA brass, and I know his tapes- which were right- really had Ray and the horline honked off. The one spot, we all thought to ourselves "Up your ###" Because he was all over the fact it had no impact. By the end of the season it had enough- not enough to keep ahead of the Hurcs, but enough.

Kind of fun to hear that old chestnut again. Madison had a version of it at that time- and some folks thought our version was better- theirs wasn't really well arranged and also suffered from even more of a lack of oomph.

Dave Pomponio was a good guy- introduced me to Rum and Coke, and kept my head in the game when Rich had me ###### off. I have other stories about him, too. Just remind me.

Yeah that's right Madison did it and it WAS sort of lame in comparison...(now if THEIR hornline did OUR arrangement it would have been something!)

I have a tape somewhere of 1978 Hershey, and WOW talk about rip your face off top to bottom! (I won't mention "Time machine" :tongue: )

I've heard the tape and it didn't have the "fkjghasdfighsdiljfglkdjfghlkg " part it was a TAD cleaner.... The shame of it was I've heard the hornline nail it and when they did it was great...but most of the recordings I've heard from that year are "fkjghasdfighsdiljfglkdjfghlkg" :blink:

One thing I always loved about 96 was that people #####ed that Westshore alumni gave us gifts when they judged. Um, we won drums all year, so Stauffer and Tommy Kelly weren't handing out gifts. And, if you look at the recaps, Rohrer judged field brass and had us 3rd. if he had given us a gift, we would have won by more than .1

Yeah that's the one!!! :thumbup: Thank GOD my long term memory is still good! (Shot term, not so much) :blink:

Neither of mine (long or short term) are very good these days... tongue.gif

Hey, at least I remembered where I put the photo!! thumbup.gif

One thing I always loved about 96 was that people #####ed that Westshore alumni gave us gifts when they judged. Um, we won drums all year, so Stauffer and Tommy Kelly weren't handing out gifts. And, if you look at the recaps, Rohrer judged field brass and had us 3rd. if he had given us a gift, we would have won by more than .1

And if they did, it sure made up for the 70's and 80's of not getting gifts :devil: