The history of the Westshoremen

Thanks, Jim!

But I can't take much of the credit; it was based on Jeff's article in the "History of Drum and Bugle Corps Vol II" book...

ya done good!!

:worthy: :worthy:

Shako notes: The "pearl" color didn't match any better than those old BD tops either. Don't know if they were bought at different times or maybe laid in the sun and got discolored. IIRC, the top of my shako (no idea on the others) was powder blue ('natch) which really didn't match the rest of the shako.

Oh yeah... one of the penalties WSM got for 79 Prelims was for a dropped plume.... guess who.... long story.....

Ron, great choice of music on these bits. Have the same early WSM/WSM-BS recordings at home. :worthy: But I'm partial to mid-50s concert of "Bolero". Hard to realize it's single valve only and no bottom horns.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Mine was black (paint) all over...except for the scratches that got fixed...I hated that freaking hat almost as much as the "busby" I wore in high school band...although that came in handy...it was all plastic on the inside, so you could fit two cans of beer and ice them down on band trips! :thumbup: We'd drink them on the way to the away football games on the band bus :blink: My senior year we switched to shako's as well...I was WAY against those but the rest of the people that were "voting" liked them....(they figured anything was better than those old freaking busby's)

The worst hats were the ones we wore with Hershey...my GOD they were ugly fugly things! They got those nice white uniform tops with the red and black sash, and those stupid hats :thumbdown:

i started with aussies in 89,then those ####### helmets in 90, and finally shakos in 95. truth be told, after the helmets, the shakos weren't an issue

i started with aussies in 89,then those ####### helmets in 90, and finally shakos in 95. truth be told, after the helmets, the shakos weren't an issue

What didn't you like about the helmets? I remember when Julie Slick played with Phantom she said the helmets were 'cool' because they let air in?

What didn't you like about the helmets? I remember when Julie Slick played with Phantom she said the helmets were 'cool' because they let air in?

Helmets do goofy things to the acoustical perceptions. If your corps uses helmets, because of that, you need to pretty much practice in them so you're used to hearing what you hear inside there resonating around.

Thanks, Jim!

But I can't take much of the credit; it was based on Jeff's article in the "History of Drum and Bugle Corps Vol II" book...

A personal think you for the podcast. I'm deeply flattered you thought of us guys before so many fantastic groups you could've chosen for great reasons.

Question- why choose "Icarus" over the other show selections in the '82 program? I have my guesses, but I don't want to influence your answer. I'm really curious. :cool:

Helmets do goofy things to the acoustical perceptions. If your corps uses helmets, because of that, you need to pretty much practice in them so you're used to hearing what you hear inside there resonating around.

Actually, so do Aussies (we used to do music rehearsal with hats on...Robb Muller had us do that, as well as Robbie when I was with Bucs) Not sure from a horn perspective, but from a drum perspective you can hear some different overtones.

A personal think you for the podcast. I'm deeply flattered you thought of us guys before so many fantastic groups you could've chosen for great reasons.

Question- why choose "Icarus" over the other show selections in the '82 program? I have my guesses, but I don't want to influence your answer. I'm really curious. :cool:

Icarus was a cool tune! (and had some wicked bongo parts in it :thumbup: )

not ours. they weighed a ton too

As I am having the Cincinnati corps do, at every rehearsal. They play and march in the helmets to get used to them. It just made sense to me, to have them do so. :satisfied:

And I had the support staff drill some holes in the tops of the helmets to let some air in, because they are black with black plumes. :tongue:

Edited by hairbear