The history of the Westshoremen

I know less than 6-7 years ago I was sending Dave double tapes IIRC.

You know, that comment I made on the C2 thread said a lot about I think our Corps and people like Dave who mentored us.

When I saw that word 'fear' that whole thing popped right into my head. Especially when I'm thinking of that 1982 Grand Prix when they really did try to scare us.

If there WAS fear, it was fear of badly disappointing Dave or Frank or getting Eric honked off. But that's a WAY different kind of fear. :tongue:

Or a more serious fear Larry wasn't gonna give us enough time to eat. I used to half-kid Larry BITD and remind him we marched on our stomachs. I guess it's obvious nowadays I play better when I'm not hungry. :thumbup:

just a question...do we have to hide the corps name? I think everyone knows who we're talking about

it doesn't take a genius to figure it out

Exactly. That was my point... :tongue:

:spitting:

:whistle:

:spitting:

:whistle:

W wants to make sure he doesn't have to watch his back if he goes to DCA this year. :devil:

And I ain't sayin' nutin' cuz the head of the Alumni corps knows what I look like... same with some of their members :whistle:

yeah, I'm messin' wit ya....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

W wants to make sure he doesn't have to watch his back if he goes to DCA this year. :devil:

And I ain't sayin' nutin' cuz the head of the Alumni corps knows what I look like... same with some of their members :whistle:

yeah, I'm messin' wit ya....

for the right amount of Jack, I can point him out

:devil:

for the right amount of Jack, I can point him out

:devil:

How 'bout a Guess Who badge? He'll either be spotted or mistaken for a staff member like I was a couple of times in 2010. Kris had my jacket so I bought an old long sleeve Govies shirt for next to nothing. At teh stadium and hotel people were telling me "Great jobs you guys did". After a while I just thanked them.....

Upstairs neighbor has dogs and evidently either nieces or nephews or grandkids that woke me up now. I went to bed around 530AM, maybe 5-6 hours sleep. Hopefully will get quiet again so I can get more of it.

To get back on track, at least the corps had competed at the Grand Prix in '81 so we were used to Giants Stadium, the spongy turf, the Jumbotron you should NEVER look at because it was delayed by a couple seconds, AND the low wall to play over the top of to avoid the crazy reverb.

We march in there as per plan, everything is rollnig, and then, we are introduced to a 5k crowd full of boos. :thumbup:

We hadn't even played a bloody note and we're getting booed. We knew the crowds in this area weren't crazy about us, but it was a pretty impressive effort from the crowd.

Nervous energy, whatever, we started laughing out loud at attention. My thoughts, and I know other people's had to be, "Fxxx these people, we're gonna win this show and pxxx you off even MORE!"

Perhaps there's a lesson to be learned by potential idiots out there this season who are already C2 haters based on 2 short videos. However, they might not be smart enough to figure something like this out. By the way, guys, in that thread I used the word 'booable'. To me, a 'booable' show would be something like...

The drum line is kicking in hard and the horn line is cranking out Tame the Perilous Skies at 180 beats per minute, the corps is hot and making things happen on a visual and musical level... and then out of a big sideline speaker from a kid wearing a headphone thingy ro spoil the zen,

"I am a fighter pilot who is very brave searching for the enemy in the beautiful blue skies above. I am very excited and hope I shall emerge victorious in my fast and sleek jet, armed with missles, cannon, and.... (big horn line RAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!! and drum line DZZZZZZZZ!!!!! simultaneously) MY WITS!"

Then the boo line could seriously be crossed. At least it would deserve a facepalm and a horrfied groan followed by "Dear God, Ream, just shoot me now, please!" Ream would want to shoot me, but he'd be trying to keep his lovely wife from trying to shoot herself in the meantime. Or... Ream would be trying to stop his lovely wife or Wally from trying to gun down the narrarator. :tongue: Hmm. Hop should hire me to write the show narratives for him. Even making fun of it and cranking out something on the fly I can write better copy/script than whover did it for them... :devil:

Anyway, we were NOT doing something that deserved that kinda reaction, well, maybe we were. We were winning, and that evidently wasn't allowed. You know, Ricky Lee doing a show narraration would even be better than the nornal Cadets narrative....

"BINGZINGBINGBANGWADDAWUUUUUUAAAHHHH--RrrrrrrrrEEEEPAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!"

but I digress. I'm tired the kids and dogs woke me up after throwing packages all night.

We get booed, we do the show, Dave with hands in pockets smiling most of the time, a jump here, a sway there trying not to coach us, but it kept me focused. The heck with everyone else. If Dave and Larry dig it, and they seemed to be, that's all that counted to me.

People may ask, how did you see them!? Look. We did a CONCERT number back then. Like I was moving anywhere for 3 minutes of Winnetka except to the 50 with the guys for the quintet and back. They were standing where the horns were aimed for most of the show as well. Not hard to find.

We had a good run. Ben said they played Sky's and the Cab's cadences on and off the field, it wouldn't have mattered, they were booing loud enough as we left the field and marched into the tunnel that yah just found the beat and marched.

I think the dogs and kids have shut up now and I can sleep again. I'll get to the hooligans at retreat later. :satisfied: