The history of the Westshoremen

I'm sure it keilled Larry to give up the Dream. I know it almost killed the corps when he insisted on continuing to try it with the Alumni

Larry had that "Impossible Dream is our Espana` Cani/New York New York/Magnificent Seven signature piece" And when we swapped out the end of "Music" for the "Dream" tag it was almost like SCV when they attempted Bottle Dance at the end of 82's show and it turned into a royal cluster crap! (although we hung in there better than they did) I was so pizzed that we did that because I loved the ending of Music. It was a great tune, and I honestly wish we retained it for the next year, since we botched it for finals!

(Don't get me wrong, 'All the Things You Are' was a good exit number, but Music was cool!

Bill's arrangement for Alumni was really nice, at least I thought and still think so.

I have a version of it in my head that's way different from either the original or Bill's, but prolly way too fast and modern-hipster for anyone's taste. I'm thinking a temp of 160 and a 4/4 feel myself.

It's more than out of the box. :satisfied:

Bill's version was good for brass. however, it sucked for percussion

And thank GOD for Dave Pomoponio for adding some dynamics to it! :blink: 78's version would peel paint off of a wall!

And that's just the soft spots... Who am I kidding it was all one freakin' dynamic. And 79 when I listen to it I get the "well the dynamics are TRYING to come out" feeling. Then my fingers start to hurt as Ray and Dave were pulling fingernails and hair to get them out.

Mebbe that's why I'm missing so much hair. Which reminds me.... saw Orge Bolin(sp?) last week. "Hi Jim... Hi John... <wait for our appointments> Bye John, Bye Jim" is about the whole conversation. :tongue: But he seems to be doing good. :thumbup:

And as for Sun/Buccs being better at having a varied show.... you were more diplomatic than I was thinking. Plus their arrangements were so different than the norm it made the varied show stand out more. Have probably heard our stuff too many times but it all caem out like DC music. Even that "Be Free" drum solo/horns coming in at the end thing we did in 78 came out DC "down their throats" after starting out light. Not as bad as "Alex Ragtime" but nothing was that bad...

Maybe it was the era, maybe it was the staff, maybe we had enough other crap to work, maybe the difference between standstill and field show on but.... man I get my butt worked over for dynamics and phrasing more 'down south' than I did in the 70s. Also wouldn't mind seeing the charts for todays corps as some of what I've played in the last few years is a LOT more involved than BITD. And that's not considering that 3rd valve and nasty key signature (thanks to that 3rd valve).

Edited by JimF-LowBari

That whole 78 show was an entirely different animal.. I think the only "dynamics" were when the corps played back field away from the home stands :blink:

The drum line was a good thing that year, Flowers wrote some tasty stuff...but the horns were always in your face!

I saw that show like 20 times that summer and had to wash my face afterwards! :tongue:

That whole 78 show was an entirely different animal.. I think the only "dynamics" were when the corps played back field away from the home stands :blink:

IOW - middle part of 'Time Machine' (aka - the album that killed 'Disco Star Wars' Meecos career). Best part of that mess was that we were playing backfield and you can barely hear that one Bari note that never came out right. Too bad that one note was played over and over.... Da Da Da Da Da.. *EWWW*... Something that just screamed for the third value or a tuning slide.... Once of the few times we'd ask each other if that was the right note.

Only good thing was us going over the drill for this mess on the Island and Jeff Davis asking Larry if we could play it again next year. Larry just gave him the look... :rock:

Edit: Under the "Go Figure" file... Our lead Baris in those days (well at least 76-78) were Ogre, Jeff Davis (nutty as they come) and Joel Zeiders who is currently a Lutheran minister upstate. Ran into Joels wife Karen at a Luteran conference a while back and found out he was ordained. Then I stared thinking about the nasty words I used to say in front of him.....

Drill practice on the Island:

One of the DIs (Barney?): That's horrible, that's an abortion....

Jeff Davis: Hey don't say abortion, Joels wife is pregnant!

Both said loud enough for the whole corps to hear, include Karen who was in the guard at the time...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

And that's just the soft spots... Who am I kidding it was all one freakin' dynamic. And 79 when I listen to it I get the "well the dynamics are TRYING to come out" feeling. Then my fingers start to hurt as Ray and Dave were pulling fingernails and hair to get them out.

Mebbe that's why I'm missing so much hair. Which reminds me.... saw Orge Bolin(sp?) last week. "Hi Jim... Hi John... <wait for our appointments> Bye John, Bye Jim" is about the whole conversation. :tongue: But he seems to be doing good. :thumbup:

And as for Sun/Buccs being better at having a varied show.... you were more diplomatic than I was thinking. Plus their arrangements were so different than the norm it made the varied show stand out more. Have probably heard our stuff too many times but it all caem out like DC music. Even that "Be Free" drum solo/horns coming in at the end thing we did in 78 came out DC "down their throats" after starting out light. Not as bad as "Alex Ragtime" but nothing was that bad...

Maybe it was the era, maybe it was the staff, maybe we had enough other crap to work, maybe the difference between standstill and field show on but.... man I get my butt worked over for dynamics and phrasing more 'down south' than I did in the 70s. Also wouldn't mind seeing the charts for todays corps as some of what I've played in the last few years is a LOT more involved than BITD. And that's not considering that 3rd valve and nasty key signature (thanks to that 3rd valve).

it was the staff...not to knock those guys, but they werecoming from a different era...and then over the next few years you had a mix of old and new, and trying to get them to mesh mindsets was an issue. Back then, far too many caption heads/designers thought of their caption first, total picture 2nd. By that point, Sun and Bucs had started what is now the norm....designing as a team.

But it always seemed like Sun and Buc's were more progressive in terms of shows (now mind you my "era" started in 1978) Even though Bucs were down in 78, they STILL had a great show, and they sounded like they had their respective 'stuff' together. Through the years, Sky, Hawthorne and Hurcs always seemed like they played the same show year after year after year etc....

The first time I ever saw Sun was at the Dream in 1978 and I immediately was a fan! (in fact I think I bought a t-shirt that day) I thought that losing to Hawthorne was a mistake, and that they were in the same class as the Bridgemen were that day.

What sucked was that I only for to see Sun at the Dream and DCA prelims and finals that year. (heck, I think I even wore my Sun t-shirt to Allentown) :thumbup: (although when I joined WSM the next season, I had to stop wearing it :tongue: )

Anyway....The only other Senior corps that I thought had decent shows were Matadors (who had the Spanish thing down, but it wasn't obnoxious) and Rochester (well before they went Jesus Christ Superstar and crucified Gary Ferris on the 50 :blink: )

Westshore had a progressive show but never had the talent totally to back it up (or the reputation in DCA circles)

The 78 show was a mish mash and really really IN YOUR FACE! I honestly think that if dynamics played a part in the show that year, they MAY have placed a little higher...not sure what sort of marching scores they were pulling, though.

But it always seemed like Sun and Buc's were more progressive in terms of shows (now mind you my "era" started in 1978) Even though Bucs were down in 78, they STILL had a great show, and they sounded like they had their respective 'stuff' together. Through the years, Sky, Hawthorne and Hurcs always seemed like they played the same show year after year after year etc....

Maybe Fran can answer but read somewhere that Suns not so nice nickname was "Santa Flushing Vanguard" since they did more of a Jr style type of show. And of course Sr style = in your face. Just don't know when that nickname was used. 1977/1978 shows were similar with some of the same songs. Trying to remember what year they did a African rhythm type drum solo (right before 'Spain'). One of those WTF things that you thought they'd go more into corps style at the end but... nope. That kida defined their style for me.

Anyway....The only other Senior corps that I thought had decent shows were Matadors (who had the Spanish thing down, but it wasn't obnoxious) and Rochester (well before they went Jesus Christ Superstar and crucified Gary Ferris on the 50 :blink: )

Larry at Bucknell show when Cru was whipping the crap out of the guy and the crowd was sitting with their mouths open in shock. "You think we're tough when you're late for practice. Rochester whips you".

The first time I ever saw Sun was at the Dream in 1978 and I immediately was a fan! (in fact I think I bought a t-shirt that day) I thought that losing to Hawthorne was a mistake, and that they were in the same class as the Bridgemen were that day.

Oh man... we did a great job that day. But somehow, losing by a half a tenth at that show was not a surprise to us. LOL. We always felt as if we were up against it at the Dream, when it was at Roosevelt Stadium.... the crowd usually favored the Cabs and Skyliners, and quite frankly so did some of the judges. :ph34r:

In 1979, a guy from Sun came back to our bus after watching the Crusaders, swearing he would never watch them again. "I can't believe I just saw them beat Christ on the field... that's just not right!!!" he said. :tongue:

In 1979, a guy from Sun came back to our bus after watching the Crusaders, swearing he would never watch them again. "I can't believe I just saw them beat Christ on the field... that's just not right!!!" he said. :tongue:

Heard one person say it was the most tasteless thing they ever saw on the field. We were kinda WTH?

Then again while that was being done on the field a lot of us were laughing at Larrys joke. IIRC we were sitting in the backfield stands in at least partial uniforms. Nice soft music (Garden Of Gessemite(sp!)), crowd in shocked silence... and bunch of us laughing. Good thing Bucknell was a "home show" for us with the Milton crew but *sheesh*....

Edited by JimF-LowBari