The history of the Westshoremen

Who, the guy with the beard? or the guy with the soprano? Guy with the beard's face is familiar...don't remember his name, and don't know the guy with the sop.

That's the new Carlisle BD?

Smart baby!!! :thumbup: Wow...what's not to like about the new album? I went wild with it when I first got it (more than a week before, I found a leak of it) and went through it several times. Been laying off of it for a time and plan to go back and give it a couple more good listens (prime spot between the speakers with a cocktail)(or three :blink: )

Going to see them in October down in Philly, and hoping that they come closer for the next US leg.

Edited by Jaminbenb

Who, the guy with the beard? or the guy with the soprano? Guy with the beard's face is familiar...don't remember his name, and don't know the guy with the sop.

Bearded one faceing the camera is lead Bari Bruce Schaffer who was in starting 78 or 79 IIRC. No beard then and think his face was a little fuller. Real nice guy, we always talk for a bit when we see each other. Guy with his back us has gotta be Drew...

Sop is the only unfamiliar face... only possible non 79 corps member....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Bearded one faceing the camera is lead Bari Bruce Schaffer who was in starting 78 or 79 IIRC. No beard then and think his face was a little fuller. Real nice guy, we always talk for a bit when we see each other. Guy with his back us has gotta be Drew...

Sop is the only unfamiliar face... only possible non 79 corps member....

That's it....Bruce...too many people over too many years, and too many years have passed!

Whatever happened to Jimmy Fawber?!?! :tongue:

Wow... things have been busy / hectic over the last couple of months so haven't been on the forum. Just played catch up today and talk about a wirlwind since the begining of May.

1. Job changes (here)

2. Death of step father (RIP Jerry)

3. Death of Jim's mother in law

4. Death of W's and Boom's friend

5. Birth of SADIE :) GREAT NEWS and Congrats again Jeff

6. Dave finally retiring. Talk about a man who made an impact (and yes Ben i seen the posts about competing against CV (My school). Those were good times.

7. W's talking about of my favorite Corps :)

7. And lots of great stories

Wow...all in 2 months.

That's it....Bruce...too many people over too many years, and too many years have passed!

And he was probably the most quiet first Bari we ever had :devil: And I saw Rick Adams (another lead) two weekends ago at Hanover. He said Hi and I looked around like I didn't see him and said "Do I heard voices?". His all too quick response was "Voices in your head.. what else is new?". :tongue: When he and Dave Fisher (yet another lead) are together it's like WSM practice with smart ###ed top you another comments. Just another indication that you may have come in WSM normal but you didn't leave normal.

Whatever happened to Jimmy Fawber?!?! :tongue:

Who??? Irony is my wife says the only people who call "that guy" Jimmy are old ladies (not many left) and corps people.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Saw Rick Adams at a concert at our church tonight. His daughter performed and true to my usual after concert I told the wrong young person that she did a really good job. Well the other young lady performed too but I confused her when I said "I do Drum Corps with your dad." :doh: Got that kinda "weird old person look" but she said thanks.

Irony is I know the other younger ladys dad too so he should get a good laugh at my screw up too. Rick and his wife enjoyed it... :tongue:

That's the new Carlisle BD?

Smart baby!!! :thumbup: Wow...what's not to like about the new album? I went wild with it when I first got it (more than a week before, I found a leak of it) and went through it several times. Been laying off of it for a time and plan to go back and give it a couple more good listens (prime spot between the speakers with a cocktail)(or three :blink: )

Going to see them in October down in Philly, and hoping that they come closer for the next US leg.

the young guy with the glasses.

I am hitting Philly I think....and I heard Hershey has talked to them. and they are taking strings on tour

Wow... things have been busy / hectic over the last couple of months so haven't been on the forum. Just played catch up today and talk about a wirlwind since the begining of May.

1. Job changes (here)

2. Death of step father (RIP Jerry)

3. Death of Jim's mother in law

4. Death of W's and Boom's friend

5. Birth of SADIE :) GREAT NEWS and Congrats again Jeff

6. Dave finally retiring. Talk about a man who made an impact (and yes Ben i seen the posts about competing against CV (My school). Those were good times.

7. W's talking about of my favorite Corps :)

7. And lots of great stories

Wow...all in 2 months.

it's a bird....it's a plane....

it's a bird....it's a plane....

Maybe it's time I get some things inserted in here since the timing is too good.

Some people may wonder why in God's name I do reviews. A fair question. It does have to do with Superman, more than one might think.

One reason is Fred Mowbray. Rook, Ben, and I used to seek out Fred after shows to see what he thought. He was always encouraging to us, and I think very fair about us in DCN and DCW. He told us when we needed to keep pushing, and to keep working hard. Sometimes, I think there are some people out there that might get encouraged by something I say. I hope they do. I also hope some people wake up and smell the coffee of reality I might hit them with.

Another is Rickie Lee/AKA Superman. HOW!? I'm sure someone may ask why the heck this connects. It's easy.

When we started this roll in 82, we'd be pouring through copies of DCN and DCW for any comments we could find and pics. We wanted to see if we were getting any spin, any positive stuff out of the articles. One DCW article in particular obviously had more than a bit of a smack in the face for us on Bus One when we were reading it.

We read this article, which waxed poetic about The Cabs, and about their show, all it's numbers contained within, etc. We read about Sky, and all of their marvelous show covered in marvelous detail.

Then, we get...

"The Westshoremen have Rick Lee(I remember they got THAT wrong), who is a show in and unto himself." The rest of the stuff about us can be summed up as:

"Oh yeah, by the way, the Westshoremen won handily."

:blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

Okay.... basically, the writer didn't tell anyone a ###### thing about our corps except for Ricky Lee. Not a thing about the new direction for our corps, the wonderful arranging, the better horn line, the jazz formatted program, NOTHING except for Ricky Lee on the sideline. Needless to say, a few of us were not amused. I thought about that for a long, long time- and I decided to write reviews here, since I wanted to make sure some of the guys and gals in the trenches that don't necessarily get any mention that deserve it in DCW articles get it. According to that DCW article and the way that guy wrote, Ricky was a one man wrecking machine keeping our corps at the top, the rest of us and what we were doing was irrelevant. Whomever the author was apparently ignored the other 120 of us and what we were doing for ten minutes out on the field. I try to avoid that kind of thing when I write here.

Anyhow, I gotta get my Wagon in at 8 AM so I need to stop now. More later....

Edited by BigW

the young guy with the glasses.

I am hitting Philly I think....and I heard Hershey has talked to them. and they are taking strings on tour

Yeah, I heard the rumor about the strings....could be neat!

I hope they come to Hershey....the fear from a lot of people is that this is the last album and tour (the usual thoughts, but one day it could be true) so I really want to see them as many times as possible this time out!