The history of the Westshoremen

Nah about 34 to 35 for the Golf R, which is a nice little pocket rocket.

Ben, you never heard about the VW Phaeton? I'm sure Jeff has- was a top end Mercedes level car, and was priced in the high 70's low 90's IIRC. Great vehicle, beautifully executed, but no one in God's name would pay 90k for a VW.

Now I think rebadged and cosmetic changes Audi had something similar, but people will dish out for an Audi, even though it was the same thing as the Phaeton.

For long haul judging, yeah, A Phaeton would have been nice, but I looked at an Audi A7 at the car show. I sat in it, said, "yeeeeaaaaah, waaaay niiiice..." looked at the 72K sticker, and said, "I can dream, that's not a crime..."

Could see Mom in an A7. Maybe Boom. VERY comfy but not in a mushy pansy way and feels, RIGHT. If Boom had one, well, I'd lose the FHT Bridge drag races. :tongue:

Ahhh....Came this close to buying a Passat about 10 years back, but the lady at the VW dealer was a pushy beyatch, and pizzzed me off severely! So I walked away...was going to come back another night, but ended up at Nissan, and left with a Maxima, and have just bought my 3rd Nissan since! (Murano #2)

The Mrs. now has a Volvo SC90 and has designs on an SC60...same size as my Murano, but not as much "tailgate" space as the SC90...which is why I'm trying to talk her out of it! (well for now) We've also found that these cars are better buying used if you know what you're looking for, and are patient! We pretty much got the SC90 (with only 25,000 miles on it) at (roughly)half price, and it's FEREAKING LOADED! :blink: Just ran it to Florida on our recent vacation, and it's performing admirably!

I told her a few years back, that the nicer cars seems to last longer, and you can't continue to be stuck buying freaking Mazda Tributes and expecting them to last more than 4 years without major issues! She also talked to a friend that can pretty much get whatever you want used (make, model, trim level, accessories, color, and mileage ceiling) if you are patient enough! (but we never got to use him...we stumbled upon both cars and they were sort of impulse buys)

I need to get to work, but...

Given some of the recent threads on DCP, Yeah.... there was some questionable stuff I saw that made me wonder. Nothing explicit, but still, made me wonder. Back then the way the culture was, you just MYOB'ed about it. Stuff was whispered, but- unless you actually knew what was happening- you just shut up, and I didn't know for certain, so I haven't discussed it here.

Also, yeah, we did do some crazy stuff. Canton, Pibadee, Jim has talked about Nawolins.

The thing is, we never wrecked a place or caused damage to the point where we had an issue. Yeah, the cops pulled in at Pibadee, and after some polite negotiation, the Holiday Inn got 96 percent of their stuff back except for some towels, who I know had them will remain nameless, and I also will say for the record, "NOT GUILTY!".

Yeah people skinny dipped in the pool at Canton, guys went into the conference room and held a drunken church service, but IIRC, Chuck made sure the situation in the conference room was under control, my assumption was we paid for the use of the room somehow, but we didn't BREAK stuff.

The worst thing I can remember where anything might have been "damaged" was Rickie Lee and the can of shaving cream going off between his legs on Bus 2 and leaving the 5 foot diameter puddle. That happened in '83... so, I didn't get to that yet, but IIRC, the rather pointed comments to him from the corps about his behavior, even from some of the craziest of the Bus 2 grognards and the fact he had to clean the mess up to George's satisfaction, IIRC... well, nothing was broken...

I promise to get back to 1982 and to Post 199 when I think about stuff clearly again.

The thing is, the threads regarding the Gades and the whole see no evil, etc. and not thinking you might need a policy in place for your corps regarding sex offenders thing has had my attentions. there also happenes to be a ToB season happening and I also am thinking very hard about music in general a LOT, listening to stuff to keep prodding my mental processes and keep them sharp.

Speaking of which, put in "Don Ellis French Connection 2 Big Chase" on YT and listen to that if you're not familar. I have the actual limited edition CD which is evidently worth beacoup now. This is Don Ellis at his absolute best for 2 and a half minutes, and is not well known because the entire track never made the movie, only the opening 3+2+2+3/8 vamp.

Most of the performers on that track were his own people, Gil Rathel on Lead Trumpet is my guess, and he's absolute beast on the track.

I need to get to work, but...

Given some of the recent threads on DCP, Yeah.... there was some questionable stuff I saw that made me wonder. Nothing explicit, but still, made me wonder. Back then the way the culture was, you just MYOB'ed about it. Stuff was whispered, but- unless you actually knew what was happening- you just shut up, and I didn't know for certain, so I haven't discussed it here.

Also, yeah, we did do some crazy stuff. Canton, Pibadee, Jim has talked about Nawolins.

The thing is, we never wrecked a place or caused damage to the point where we had an issue. Yeah, the cops pulled in at Pibadee, and after some polite negotiation, the Holiday Inn got 96 percent of their stuff back except for some towels, who I know had them will remain nameless, and I also will say for the record, "NOT GUILTY!".

Yeah people skinny dipped in the pool at Canton, guys went into the conference room and held a drunken church service, but IIRC, Chuck made sure the situation in the conference room was under control, my assumption was we paid for the use of the room somehow, but we didn't BREAK stuff.

The worst thing I can remember where anything might have been "damaged" was Rickie Lee and the can of shaving cream going off between his legs on Bus 2 and leaving the 5 foot diameter puddle. That happened in '83... so, I didn't get to that yet, but IIRC, the rather pointed comments to him from the corps about his behavior, even from some of the craziest of the Bus 2 grognards and the fact he had to clean the mess up to George's satisfaction, IIRC... well, nothing was broken...

I promise to get back to 1982 and to Post 199 when I think about stuff clearly again.

The thing is, the threads regarding the Gades and the whole see no evil, etc. and not thinking you might need a policy in place for your corps regarding sex offenders thing has had my attentions. there also happenes to be a ToB season happening and I also am thinking very hard about music in general a LOT, listening to stuff to keep prodding my mental processes and keep them sharp.

Speaking of which, put in "Don Ellis French Connection 2 Big Chase" on YT and listen to that if you're not familar. I have the actual limited edition CD which is evidently worth beacoup now. This is Don Ellis at his absolute best for 2 and a half minutes, and is not well known because the entire track never made the movie, only the opening 3+2+2+3/8 vamp.

Most of the performers on that track were his own people, Gil Rathel on Lead Trumpet is my guess, and he's absolute beast on the track.

True! No one ever did anything that would be "convict-able" in any decent court of law :blink:

Hmmmmmm skinny dipping? ask Boom about Clifton, I'm sure she remembers that one (and the video evidence) :tongue:

Ok...so I "pantsed" "Skanky" in 1983...it's not like she wasn't "asking" for it :devil:

But no...we "never did nothing" that would really get us into bad trouble...heck..even Fred Mowbray talked about us trying to stuff a phone booth on the way out to Canton in one of his Drum Corps News articles waaay way back....he thought it was funny@ :thumbup:

anyway.....Don Ellis' stuff is crazy! I remember borrowing an album from Dane Hildebrand BITD, and it was some crazy-azz stuff! Strawberry Soup was nothing compared to this stuff! (I think it was a live album...have it on a cassette somewhere in a box, probably)

I know a few things happened in 97...i'll address those one of these decades. plus when I get to 88 I can talk about John Bowling and the infamous Delong/Bowling jelly dnout fight on the bus

But no...we "never did nothing" that would really get us into bad trouble...heck..even Fred Mowbray talked about us trying to stuff a phone booth on the way out to Canton in one of his Drum Corps News articles waaay way back....he thought it was funny@ :thumbup:

And Mrs Mowbray (only way she was ever addressed) would be right there too and never say a word. Yeah, it was Bus #1 but still...... Fred would just say somethng like "You're just blowing off steam" or something like that.

Other corps I've heard stories of "borrowed" ice cream truck where the prize money was paid in advance for bail (hint Ricky Lees buddies). Plus a police car "borrowed" from the back of a hotel and driven to the front. Cop was there to tell two corps to quit serenading each other after midnight in the hotel parking lot. He turned around and...... by the time he ran to the front of the hotel the car was there. And the lobby was empty except for a guy reading a newspaper :devil:.

And a certain Latin flavor corps (not Hawthorne) was supposedly banned from Canada for stuff never found out (fireworks??? trying to fit room furniture in the cargo bays??). Story was learned second hand from another corps when they stopped at the same hotel the following season and #### near wasn't allowed to stay there. "Don't get off bus yet, the manager just found out he rented out to a drum corps and it's getting tense".

1980s contest at Bucknell with a corps marching off the field to drum taps and obscene chanting. Plus a guy doing MFer as a backbeat. :blink:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

And Mrs Mowbray (only way she was ever addressed) would be right there too and never say a word. Yeah, it was Bus #1 but still...... Fred would just say somethng like "You're just blowing off steam" or something like that.

Other corps I've heard stories of "borrowed" ice cream truck where the prize money was paid in advance for bail (hint Ricky Lees buddies). Plus a police car "borrowed" from the back of a hotel and driven to the front. Cop was there to tell two corps to quit serenading each other after midnight in the hotel parking lot. He turned around and...... by the time he ran to the front of the hotel the car was there. And the lobby was empty except for a guy reading a newspaper :devil:.

And a certain Latin flavor corps (not Hawthorne) was supposedly banned from Canada for stuff never found out (fireworks??? trying to fit room furniture in the cargo bays??). Story was learned second hand from another corps when they stopped at the same hotel the following season and #### near wasn't allowed to stay there. "Don't get off bus yet, the manager just found out he rented out to a drum corps and it's getting tense".

1980s contest at Bucknell with a corps marching off the field to drum taps and obscene chanting. Plus a guy doing MFer as a backbeat. :blink:

There was also the Boston incident in 1980.... :shutup:

Bucknell? would that be the "we want head" chant? :rolleyes:

What was the show where we were having a fireworks battle with someone? I think Bollinger pulled out his private stash, once the other corps started shooting things off? I also seem to remember that was a trip where George had us dump the crapper on the way out of the parking lot???

Bucknell? would that be the "we want head" chant? :rolleyes:

Bingo... can you remember a year? Thought after I left so 1980 or later...

And guy in the back chanting.. it was

Edit: "We (counts 1-2) want (counts 3-4) head (counts 5).... MFer MFer MFer (counts 6-8)... GAD 30+ years and STILL remember that. (but kinda think it was this version)

70s Lancer told me one night a sop soloist (same corps) screwed up a note and guy from another corps from the back yelled "DO IT AGAIN!". Guy started playing with one hand on the horn (cuz the other hand was behind his back giving the finger),

I also seem to remember that was a trip where George had us dump the crapper on the way out of the parking lot???

Must be a Wolfs thing as Howie(? always rode Bus 1) did it in 79 when the cop was giving him crap leaving a show. "You're blocking traffic!". "Road's blocked WTH?". "Move or get ticketed". Then the traffic started moving and "OH MY.. I HIT THE WRONG BUTTON! HANG ON" as he put the petal to the metal.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

And Mrs Mowbray (only way she was ever addressed) would be right there too and never say a word.

Yes... Lillian did have a knack for looking the other way at times. Hey, she was a high school music teacher... it was an acquired skill. LOL.

When she talked with us about some of the antics from the people in Westshore, or Bucs (two of her favorite corps), or pretty much any corps... she would just smile and say something like, "those young people these days...." :tongue:

Bingo... can you remember a year? Thought after I left so 1980 or later...

And guy in the back chanting.. it was

Edit: "We (counts 1-2) want (counts 3-4) head (counts 5).... MFer MFer MFer (counts 6-8)... GAD 30+ years and STILL remember that. (but kinda think it was this version)

Could have been almost any year... I remember it at a Hershey show once...

Heck....almost forgot about the underwear walk where a bunch of Sky guys were pizzed off about it, but a few Matadors guys were like "Don't mess with them, or we'll mess with you!" :devil:

Edited by Jaminbenb

underwear walks died out til I got there, but rookie talent night went to whole new levels of sick