The history of the Westshoremen

Jeff has a good point here.

I liked the tune when it was on the field because of the brass work... especially the lower brass.

But it is pretty slow-paced for the alumni corps' purposes.

Love for Sale has a beat, and you can dance to it. :tongue:/>

Yeah, but you can boink to Icarus! (if you try it to Love For Sale we'd all break a hip at our age!) :blink:

Yeah, but you can boink to Icarus! (if you try it to Love For Sale we'd all break a hip at our age!) :blink:

Icarus and Bolero... two songs that will live in boinking infamy!!! :tongue:

• Like 1

Fixed. :tongue:/>

:laughing:

My guess is GE Visual was the chink in the armor. I can't source a recap online. If not that, MA? And if it was MA, I'd think the spread was no more than .2 . MA wasn't deciding shows. One could NEVER make up any gain in MA, having less ticks was the superior option. Concede .1-.3 in MA and get it back and then some unless you were also cleaner....

I know Hurcs took Guard that year, but that was only a 2 point caption IIRC. Not enough to generate any meaningful spread.

IIRC the visual peeps were pretty enamoured with the Hurcs in 81 all season. Much had to do with Guard, IIRC either the staff were Skylarks peeps, many guard members were Skylarks, or a combination of the above.

For those who don't know who they were, they were a cutting edge WGI World Class indoor guard BITD that was top 3, in the mix with Quasar (Zingali), Cavies, Holley, PR, State Street Review (Madison)....

My guess is GE Visual was the chink in the armor. I can't source a recap online. If not that, MA? And if it was MA, I'd think the spread was no more than .2 . MA wasn't deciding shows. One could NEVER make up any gain in MA, having less ticks was the superior option. Concede .1-.3 in MA and get it back and then some unless you were also cleaner....

Sent you a PM. It was neither of the captions you mentioned.

Jeff has a good point here.

I liked the tune when it was on the field because of the brass work... especially the lower brass.

But it is pretty slow-paced for the alumni corps' purposes.

Love for Sale has a beat, and you can dance to it. :tongue:/>

especially with all you white guys grooving in the pit

:tongue:/>

• Like 1

Sent you a PM. It was neither of the captions you mentioned.

Kind of like Westshore in 1996.

People see the obvious. "Oh the percussion won it"... yes... BUT... that 2nd place horn line kept it close, and did beat some very good brass ensembles from that era, including Bush and Empire.

If they would not have beaten those 2 corps, the consequent spreads would have lost them the championship. Prolly much the same there. The Cabs peeps should be as mad at Empire and Bush for not getting it done, seriously.

Sometimes minimizing your weaknesses can get it done. That seems to be the case in part.

Percussion is one of those stealth captions. No one notices it unless they're screamin' great, or obviuously god-awful, and everyone looks at each other when certain corps do well or not-- it's usually percussion. Hurt Kidsgrove this last year for certain.

Kind of like Westshore in 1996.

People see the obvious. "Oh the percussion won it"... yes... BUT... that 2nd place horn line kept it close, and did beat some very good brass ensembles from that era, including Bush and Empire.

If they would not have beaten those 2 corps, the consequent spreads would have lost them the championship. Prolly much the same there. The Cabs peeps should be as mad at Empire and Bush for not getting it done, seriously.

Sometimes minimizing your weaknesses can get it done. That seems to be the case in part.

Percussion is one of those stealth captions. No one notices it unless they're screamin' great, or obviuously god-awful, and everyone looks at each other when certain corps do well or not-- it's usually percussion. Hurt Kidsgrove this last year for certain.

I love how the cry in 96 was "Shore alumni did it for them."

yeah thanks Dave, you had us 3rd in brass on the field

:tongue:/>

as for percussion...it's not a stealth caption. it's that drummers aren't afraid to throw spreads. most other cpations it's tenth, tenth, etc...not percussion.

I love how the cry in 96 was "Shore alumni did it for them."

yeah thanks Dave, you had us 3rd in brass on the field

:tongue:/>/>

as for percussion...it's not a stealth caption. it's that drummers aren't afraid to throw spreads. most other cpations it's tenth, tenth, etc...not percussion.

What I mean is that most fans really don't notice the difference. Horn lines yes. Most batteries and front ensembles sound pretty similar to Joe Hotdog in the stands.

What I mean is that most fans really don't notice the difference. Horn lines yes. Most batteries and front ensembles sound pretty similar to Joe Hotdog in the stands.

Joe Hotdog wants notes out of the drummers...plain and simple...doesn't matter if they are clean or well placed..just notes!

For horns, he want's HIGH notes and LOUD low brass...

(and guards they want cleavage...LOTS of cleavage!) :rolleyes:

My parents (rest their souls) would never have understood the placings at a DCI show. (so I never took them to one)