The history of the Westshoremen

the truly amazing thing to me was when John went  to Bucs several years ago and just played in the line, with todays tempos etc. No sideline drill for him, he marched his ### off

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigW said:

During their Championship run?

In other Words, he won DCA Championships with Sun, Westshore, and Bucs in 4 different decades? WOW.

Screech marched with Bucs in 2003, before their championship run. 

He also marched with Cabs in 1994... again, full drill,  no sideline. And for whatever reason, he was on the far end of several forms, meaning he had to haul butt to get to his spot. He joked about why couldn't they find someone else younger to do that...LOL

On 6/22/2017 at 9:35 AM, Fran Haring said:

Screech marched with Bucs in 2003, before their championship run. 

He also marched with Cabs in 1994... again, full drill,  no sideline. And for whatever reason, he was on the far end of several forms, meaning he had to haul butt to get to his spot. He joked about why couldn't they find someone else younger to do that...LOL

i thought he went back again in 06 or 07? Maybe i'm wrong.

he told us 94 stories when he cameback to Shore...he said ponzo should have had his dot!

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i thought he went back again in 06 or 07? Maybe i'm wrong.

he told us 94 stories when he cameback to Shore...he said ponzo should have had his dot!

2003 was his only year with Bucs.

coulda sworn he went back for one more.

13 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

coulda sworn he went back for one more.

Long story short... after '03, a return wasn't happening.  LOL

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

Long story short... after '03, a return wasn't happening.  LOL

i can see that on multiple levels LOL

• 2 weeks later...

so in reading the threads in here about the old days, how to get kids, and the MBI thread about a mass of membership just wanting to do life, it got me thinking, and really, it helped clear my eyes to something I dont think is ever mentioned enough in what helped the corps rapid downward spiral: The Westshoremen Cadets.

After 96 and the great season it was, many long time members decided enough was enough. Literally 2/3 of the battery was done. Can't tell you how many in the brass and guard, but looking at the video, may, many faces weren't back. That fall, I don't remember the recruiting at band shows like you saw in 95. It was like we won, and everyone should know and flock to us.....but it doesnt work that way.

Then it was announced at the banquet that the Cadets would be starting. Seemed like a good idea, but of course plans to travel to DCI right away were in the works.....trying to do too much from the get go. I know the two bands I taught saw or heard nothing about it. And as membership was hurting in the spring, the decision was made if you were in the DCA corps and under 21, you were doing both....and then boom, a bunch of people walked away saying "no way". Plus trying to keep both corps going hurt the pocketbook. I'm not sure the Cadets generated any kind of revenue, and then all of the other stuff covered elsewhere.

Being on admin in the fall of 97/winter of 98, equipment the corps could have used that the Cadets used was taken to a high school and never returned. That plus other management issues and an obsession with going after former admin legally, and boom...from world champions to inactive in less than 24 months. But until reading some of the stuff on here recently, it never dawned on me how much the Cadet corps played a large role in things.

I get the idea.....start a junior corps to be a training ground for the DCA corps....Cadets2 in reverse. Except for all of YEA's flaws, they had an infrastructure that allowed them to do it without killing both corps in one fell swoop.

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

so in reading the threads in here about the old days, how to get kids, and the MBI thread about a mass of membership just wanting to do life, it got me thinking, and really, it helped clear my eyes to something I dont think is ever mentioned enough in what helped the corps rapid downward spiral: The Westshoremen Cadets.

After 96 and the great season it was, many long time members decided enough was enough. Literally 2/3 of the battery was done. Can't tell you how many in the brass and guard, but looking at the video, may, many faces weren't back. That fall, I don't remember the recruiting at band shows like you saw in 95. It was like we won, and everyone should know and flock to us.....but it doesnt work that way.

Then it was announced at the banquet that the Cadets would be starting. Seemed like a good idea, but of course plans to travel to DCI right away were in the works.....trying to do too much from the get go. I know the two bands I taught saw or heard nothing about it. And as membership was hurting in the spring, the decision was made if you were in the DCA corps and under 21, you were doing both....and then boom, a bunch of people walked away saying "no way". Plus trying to keep both corps going hurt the pocketbook. I'm not sure the Cadets generated any kind of revenue, and then all of the other stuff covered elsewhere.

Being on admin in the fall of 97/winter of 98, equipment the corps could have used that the Cadets used was taken to a high school and never returned. That plus other management issues and an obsession with going after former admin legally, and boom...from world champions to inactive in less than 24 months. But until reading some of the stuff on here recently, it never dawned on me how much the Cadet corps played a large role in things.

I get the idea.....start a junior corps to be a training ground for the DCA corps....Cadets2 in reverse. Except for all of YEA's flaws, they had an infrastructure that allowed them to do it without killing both corps in one fell swoop.

I remember seeing the Westshoremen Cadets at the Harrisburg show, spring of '97... Barbara and I both were thinking, "what the heck is this all about???" since both the Cadet corps and the 'Shore DCA corps seemed to be stretched thin. A head-scratcher, for sure.