Cadets New Logo

Very sharp ! :tongue:

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I realize these responses are a little late to the discussion, but I hope to clarify some of the thoughts behind the logo that I've designed for The Cadets.

Ouooga

Can someone clarify the significance of arrows with The Cadets? Is it meant to represent "pushing the limit" or something else?

There are a couple meanings to the arrows. They were first derived from the uniform sleeve, connecting the logo to the unchanging uniform. And they also represent moving forward, innovation, pushing the boundaries.

Soccerguy315

dunno if it's better than the jazz running guy though.

Yes, it is better than the running man. That was just a picture. A logo should be something more - representing the values of a company.

corgonin

Reminds me of what Pepsi did, they traded a traditional logo for some boring one in order to make it more "cool" and marketable. Sure, the new Cadets logo looks pretty good but it will be boring after a while.

Pepsi has gone through an incredible amount of logos. Compare that to Coca Cola http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/8676/4586.jpg. Yes, The Cadets have changed the logo a few times, but their values and appearance to an audience has remained consistent. I hope that this logo will stick around as long as the corps is around.

Dbc03

I like this better, but not as well as the Garfield G

The Garfield G was a beautiful mark, designed by a fellow alumnus and architect. Unfortunately, they are no longer from Garfield, but it was an inspiration for the current logo.

Grumpy

I liked the old one better-personally, I'd be happy if they would just pick a name and stick with it instead of changing it every couple years. I can understand the HNC for '09, but besides that-decide what to call yourselves and stick with it.

I think at this point, The Cadets have decided on a name. They are no longer rooted to a church, or a town, or a county, but the members are comprised from people from around the world.

bawker

I liked the CB arrow thingy they did for a bit in the 90s the best.

It was OK. It tried to hold on to the Garfield G too much though.

Gentleman Marcher

That's...actually pretty good. Way, way better than I was expecting with the very short "contest" they did. Props to the designer. Clean, few "moving parts" and will reproduce pretty well at every size. The hallmarks of a solid logo.

Thank you. Very much appreciated.

MGCpimpOtimp

I know they aren't garfield, but it would be nice to keep some tradition in the name. It's like the big ten logo, if you look closely, it has "11" hidden in there, because there are actually 11 teams.

There is tradition in the name. They've never let go of "Cadets"

sday88

I just think the "C" is too skinny of a line.

The C is meant to be more of an outline, as the crest of Holy Name and the running man were outlined.

Granny Smith

As I have looked at it several times now while in different moods, I think the C is too "weak". There doesn't seem to be any balance between the sideways chevrons and the C. Furthermore, I would think that this logo wouldn't produce well at smaller sizes...especially if it is reversed out. Oh...one last thing. This conjures up a railroad logo in my mind for some reason.

I appreciate your attempt at a redesign. See comment above about the C. It actually does produce well at a small scale. See the favicon at http://www.cadets.ning.com. 16x16 pixels and perfectly legible. As for railroad comment, I don't mind... railroads move fast - so do the Cadets.

Jocko the Wonder Llama

Meh. A bit generic if you ask me. Nobody outside of drum corps is going to have a clue who the Cadets are, or what they do.

This logo could be just as easily used by an IT company.

The Cadets aren't competing with anyone outside drum corps. By the way, does the Apple logo or company name have anything to do with apples?

supersop

With name changes every 10 - 15 years, all that has resulted is a killing of great brands like Garfield and CBC. At least those names showed ties to the community and were unmistakable with anything else. Had you turned the chevrons the other way so it formed a G .. the haphazard fans out there would actually know who it belongs to .. because the G will always mean something to most all drum corps fan$ ... even the new ones.

The Cadets community is no longer tied to a location, therefore, the brand name needs to change. They've made the right decision in just calling themselves The Cadets. When sports teams move, should they keep the original city's name? The chevrons don't point backwards because that wouldn't portray the right message. And lastly, the G is not clear to all drum corps fans. Do you think kids in high school watched drum corps in the 80s?

Mello Dude

The design seems to be 2 color so anything they get made for it will be MUCH cheaper than 3+ colors. It's just a logo.

Not true. It's just simpler. Besides, gold/yellow isn't legible on white, so it'll only be used as an accent color on graphic materials, like the gold on the uniform.

Madalumni

I guess the only thing about it that falls a little flat for me, is the font....it looks corporate instead of art or music related.

The font is Futura and is intended to complement the mark. The C of Futura was actually used for the C outline, connecting both mark and type. And is has a rigid, geometric quality that goes along with the discipline of the corps.

Thanks for all your comments. I appreciate them all, positive or negative. For more thoughts on the design, read the proposal that I sent for the logo submission on my website: http://mudeostudio.com/2009/09/the-cadets-logo-proposal/

Edited by QBDrum

Soccerguy315

dunno if it's better than the jazz running guy though.

Yes, it is better than the running man. That was just a picture. A logo should be something more - representing the values of a company.

I dunno- there are some other companies with "picture" logos that are pretty recognizable:

17468677.jpg

nba_logo.gif

jordan_logo.jpg

corgonin

Reminds me of what Pepsi did, they traded a traditional logo for some boring one in order to make it more "cool" and marketable. Sure, the new Cadets logo looks pretty good but it will be boring after a while.

Pepsi has gone through an incredible amount of logos. Compare that to Coca Cola http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/8676/4586.jpg.

Two ways you can look at that: Coke's boring, or Coke got it right the first time while Pepsi's marketing teams have the attention span of a herd of gerbils. :tongue:

You mean like every other corps that's older than 50 years? Face it, every corps changes their name a little bit. Deal with it.

Examples:

Spirt of Atlanta / Spirit of Georgia / Spirit from JSU / Spirit / Spirit of Atlanta.

Most Precious Blood Crusaders / Hyde Park Crusaders / Boston Crusaders

Madison Explorer Scouts / Madison Scouts

Chicago Cavaliers / AL Kosciuszko Post #712 / The Cavaliers

First Federal Blue Stars / Blue Stars

The Cadets / Cadets of Bergen County / Garfield Cadets / Holy Name Cadets

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

You forgot the Park Ridge Cavaliers and the K-Mart Cadets................plus I don't think Spirit of Wherever is 50 years old,.............

I dunno- there are some other companies with "picture" logos that are pretty recognizable

I have no problem with the Cavaliers logo. It works just fine for them.

The problem with using a picture of a jazz-running trumpet player is that it doesn't represent all the Cadets. There are other brass instruments, drums, percussion, flags, and weapons that are just as important to the making of a drum corps. The NBA logo is a bit dated (see shorts length), but it works, as everyone who plays basketball, dribbles a basketball. As for the Jordan logo, it's well done too, because it's an individual, and no one except Jordan dunks like that.

Coca-Cola got it right and they're ruling the cola marketplace. Pepsi has always been trying to catch up.

Thank you for a wonderful design! I love it and cant wait to get a shirt and hat with the new logo! Thanks!!

I have no problem with the Cavaliers logo. It works just fine for them.

The problem with using a picture of a jazz-running trumpet player is that it doesn't represent all the Cadets. There are other brass instruments, drums, percussion, flags, and weapons that are just as important to the making of a drum corps. The NBA logo is a bit dated (see shorts length), but it works, as everyone who plays basketball, dribbles a basketball. As for the Jordan logo, it's well done too, because it's an individual, and no one except Jordan dunks like that.

Coca-Cola got it right and they're ruling the cola marketplace. Pepsi has always been trying to catch up.

Pepsi rules.